Best Tire Review ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for laughs, but BitOG guys should appreciate the thoroughness of the review.

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity (Grand Touring All-Season) Reviewer's Overall Rating: 10

2006 Mazda MAZDA5 Sport More Tire Reviews for This Vehicle Buy/More Info
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity
Miles driven on tires: 3,157
Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Driving Style: Spirited

4 of 14 people found the following review helpful:

Initial Review, 75 Miles on Tires
January 27, 2008

Since yesterday, I, now, have 75 miles on, new, tires. I rated comfort and noise because my driving has been, too, easy going, to determine handling characteristics. I'm, trying to, break them in, properly. Right now, I have 32 PSI, all, around, but, will raise them to 40 PSI, once, I have 500 miles. I do not experience, AM, flatspotting or tramlining. I'm a truck driver, so, I know about tramlining. The tires are, one size, larger, than, the, original, Toyos. The door placard, calls for 34 PSI. I'm guessing, that's for 35 PSI tires, because the Toyos handled, and rode, better at 44 PSI, and, wore, evenly, without, ever, going out of balance. The Mazda5 has, exceptionally, good handling, for a vehicle that combines hatchback, wagon and van, in the, same, vehicle, so, expensive, "Max Performance Summer" tires, aren't, really, necessary. I expect the, heavier, tires to have, less, wheelspin, when wet and, since my, best, past, experiences have been with Bridgestone, I knew, I wanted something, Bridgestone, before the Serenity was introduced. I've read, all, of the tire reviews and the Serenity, literally, has the, highest, review score, of all tires, on this site. You can't, really, expect Mazda or Honda vehicles, to, truly, be quiet, on the inside, but, the Serenitys, really, help. It, may, be South Florida, here, but, it hasn't rained, since, getting the tires and I haven't been on any, long, sustained, highway trips, yet, but, my expectations are, very, high. Locally, these are the, least expensive, good, tires, available, in this area. So far, I, recommend, these tires to anyone, who has a car with 16" rims, or greater, since, tires, today, are, more, exoensive, than ever. When I, first, got my Mazda5, I, really, didn't expect to find, 50 series, 17" tires, less than $800, but, I did.
Follow-up Review, 102 Miles on Tires
January 29, 2008

Here's the system, I use, to determine, how much, air, I, should have, in my tires. On a Mazda5, for the, original, 205/50R17 89V SL tires, the door placard says 230 KPA/34 PSI. It seems, to me, that is meant for tires, with a maximum of 240 KPA/35 PSI. The, original, Toyo Proxes A18 had a maximum of 300 KPA/44 PSI, so the adjustment, should be, 230 X 300 / 240 = 287.5 KPA / 6.894757 = 42 PSI. I ran 44. Since I, now, have 215/50R17 95V XL, it works, like this. 230 (34 PSI) KPA X 580 kg (1279 lbs) X 340 KPA (50 PSI) / 690 kg (1521 lbs) / 240 KPA (35 PSI) = 273.89 KPA / 6.894757 = 40 PSI, so, yesterday, while, at work, I raised, my tires to 40, from the, original, 32, the shop, had it set. It, obviously, rides, handles and wears better. My 2003 Ford Taurus has the tire placard, in the gas flap. It calls for 205 KPA/30 PSI. With tires that hold 300 KPA or 44 PSI, 30 PSI, didn't feel right, either. Using, the same formula, I run 256.25 KPA or 38 PSI, and, have, much, better results. I used the same formula on a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo, when I changed the, stock, 225/75R15 tires for 235/70R15 with a 44 PSI rating, so, instead of running my Rodeo at 26 PSI, I ran, the, new, tires, for, that one, at 33. Mazda5 owners should, stay, tuned, as, I keep my reviews, up to date. So far, I have, no, regrets, buying Bridgestone Serenity tires, for my Mazda5, and, like, I said, 32 PSI, just, didn't feel right, so, I didn't wait, to bring it up to 40, but, I will wait to test the spirited nature, until, broken in. It's funny, how, it rained, one day, before buying the tires, and, now, no more rain is expected, for, at least, another week.

Follow-up Review, 152 Miles on Tires
February 01, 2008

Although, not, completely, tested, yet, so far, I wouldn't hesitate, to recommend, the Serenity, for anyone, who has a Mazda5. They look better, on the rims, than the Toyos, ever, did. Since buying, the tires, I've, only, been to work and back, no rain, yet, either. The yard, at work, is dirt, so, I was, so far, able, to test, ride and noise, so be sure, to keep 40 PSI, in the tires. Whether you use 205/50R17 or 215/50R17, follow this graph, of load indexes and PSIs, carefully. With a load index of 89 at 44 max, 42 PSI. 89 at 51 max, 49 PSI. 91 at 44 max, 40PSI. 91 at 51 max, 46 PSI. 93 at 50 max, 43 PSI and, of course, with Serenity's load index of 95, at 50 max, 40 PSI. Tires with a load index of 88 can, also be used, at 44, 50 or 51 PSI, respectively. Lower than 88 is not recommended. For 16" winters use the formula in, one, of my, earlier, reports, to determine, how much air, you should use. If I needed winter wheels I would go for 205/60R16, on steel wheels, but, I don't, really, need them, in Florida.
I've said, before, in an, earlier, review, the Serenitys are not 100% noiseless, but, a, tremendous, improvement, over the Toyos, that came, with the car. You can hear the tires "sing," no matter, what, you use, on Mazdas, Hondas and, smaller, Fords, especially, hatchbacks, wagons, minivans or SUVs. The noise is improved, but, not eliminated. I, still, haven't had an opportunity to try them, in rain or to "joyride," yet. The increase to 40 PSI, from 32, made an improvement, by itself. Once, I have 500 miles, on the tires I will find out, what they can, really, do, and, hopefully, get, some, rain results. I bought the tires, at the beginning, of a cold front,and, probably, won't see rain for, another, two weeks. It's like, when I put Rain-X, on my windows, it doesn't rain.

Follow-up Review, 310 Miles on Tires
February 08, 2008

It's, been, two weeks and 310 miles. It is raining, for the first time, in two weeks, so, I, now, have a, wet handling, score. They don't feel, any, different, wet, than, they do, dry. The handling is predictible, but, won't throw people from, one side, of the car, to the other, which, is fine, for me, because, a Mazda5 is a people and cargo carrier. It's, still, more fun, to drive, than a Honda Odyssey. I can, still, spin the front wheels, but, it takes, a lot, more, effort, than it did, with the Toyos, which means, less, inadvertent, wheelspin, stick shift, Mazda5s are known for. I planned, carefully, before buying the Serenitys. I've, always, been impressed with Bridgestone and the 95 load index, adds 970 pounds of load capacity to the tires, reducing the likeliness of impact damage, to tires and rims. I, still, don't suggest, overloading vehicle, beyond, manufacturer's load capacity limits, but, I feel safer, with the Bridgestone Serenitys on my car. Handling is predictible and secure, but, less sporty, than a maximum performance summer tire with, greater limitations and no warranty. Did I say, "warranty?" That's something, else, that attracted, me, to the Serenitys. Not, too many, 50 series, tires, on 17" rims that offer one, so, seriously consider, buying these. Especially if, YR rated, extreme performance summer, tires is not important, to you, My car is a, daily driver. It, usually, rains, in Florida, one third, of the time, at least. Road noise and wet traction was my, biggest concerns, and, even, with 40 PSI, ride comfort has improved.

Follow-up Review, 370 Miles on Tires
February 10, 2008

The, only thing, I can, possibly, think of, these tires wouldn't be good for is track. Steering response is soft, but predictible. They have, less, of a, sporty, feel, than the Toyos, although, predictibility is better, especially, when wet. Although, I haven't been, more than, 20 miles, from home, since buying the tires, I can tell, highway driving, is where these tires will excel, most. The price was better, than I expected. They have a warranty, a rarity for VR rated, 50 series and/or 17" rims (standard on the Mazda5). I've been, all, over the east coast with my Mazda5 and I can't wait, for an opportunity, to do a road trip, on the Serenitys. Because of the larger size, I've noticed 20.4 MPG, from 21.0 MPG, local driving, not a bad difference. I don't mind, the fuel economy difference, if, the tires make driving safer and, more, predictible. I won't know about snow or ice, because, I live in Florida. It, definitely, rains, a lot, in Florida, especially May thru September, so, I'm, now, ready, for that challenge. My, original, Toyo tires, weren't good, when wet, and, were, very, noisy, on the highway. Only, 370 miles, so far, and, overall, the Serenitys make a, big, difference. Not 100% noiseless, but, much better, than, it was, before.

Follow-up Review, 373 Miles on Tires
February 11, 2008

I gave, all, of my, available, scores, tens, because, directional transitions are smooth, not jerky. Another improvement, I've noticed, is braking performance. It used to be, the ABS would kick in, easily, on wet pavement. Now, there's a, big, difference in wet braking. The brakes, actually, transfer, more, weight to the front end. The rear wheels will chirp, then the rear ABS activates. Stopping distances are shorter, especially, when wet, no pull or drift, off the road, either. Today, it was dry and clear. I accelerated, to beat a yellow arrow, took a left turn at 40 MPH without, any problems or noise. My work has a, wide, unpaved, lot for, big, trucks. I made a U turn, at high speed, without sliding, out of control. The steering response, may, not, be jerky, but the tires do everything, well. With the exception of 3/4 ton trucks or, high powered, sports cars, these tires, are a must, for, virtually, everything, else, in between.

Follow-up Review, 540 Miles on Tires
February 17, 2008

Bumping it, up, to a 215/50R17, from a 205/50R17, didn't cause, any, clearance problems. On I-595 and I-95, these tires, love, to keep the car, in the lane, it's traveling, in. These tires have the, least, wander, of, any, tire, I had, on, any, vehicle. They are recommended, for anybody, who does, a lot, of highway driving. The, excessive, wheelspin, I used to get, when wet, isn't a problem, anymore. I can accelerate, better, when wet. Mazda5s aren't, very, front heavy, especially, with stick shift, but, these tires added the traction, I needed, when it rains, in south Florida. I can, still, spin them, if I want to, but, it requires a, more rapid, drop, of the clutch. It, used to be, a push, of the gas, to lose grip. I, did, expect, the tires, to be quieter, but, it is better than it was. Right now, I'll say, I would, definately, buy these tires, again, especially, for, other, vehicles, but, who knows, what will be available, in three years, from now?

Follow-up Review, 700 Miles on Tires
February 25, 2008

700 miles is, too soon, to determine, treadwear. The tires look like they haven't been used, yet. In preparation, for a trip, to Seven Devils, North Carolina, I raised, the tires, to 46 PSI, because, my car will be loaded and traveling 75 MPH, most, of the time. Most, of my driving, will be interstate, but, my route includes Holloway Mountain Road, a dirt road, between Blowing Rock, North Carolina and Foscoe, North Carolina, and, maybe, "Tail of the Dragon (US 129, between Knoxville, Tennessee and Athens, Georgia)", on the way, back, if weather permits. This will give, me, an evaluation, of the, highest rated, tires, I can't get, in Florida. As anxious, as I am, to try these, out, in the mountains, I can't think, of a, good, reason, not to put the Bridgestone Serenitys, on my, other, vehicles, or, to recommend, them, to anybody, who has a vehicle, Serenity sizes are available, for. It hit the top of Tirerack's reviews and survey charts and made my Mazda5 a, much, more, pleasant, driving experience. There will be, more, reviews, after, I return, from North Carolina. I think, these, are the tires, that should've been, on Mazda3s, Mazda5s and Mazda6s, in the, first, place.

Follow-up Review, 3,157 Miles on Tires
March 10, 2008

Other findings, include, the odometer losing a mile, every 63.8, approximately, although, the speedometer, still seems, to be accurate. In Florida, interstates have test strips, 1/4 mile, apart. With the cruise control set at, exactly 70, I clocked 70.2, not bad. Highway fuel economy went from 27.0 to 26.1, while, local went from 21.0 to 20.4, because of the, larger, heavier, tires. Because of, all, of the improvements, since, putting, on, the Serenity tires, it's worth it. Even though, the steering is smoother and softer, it didn't take, any, fun away from driving my Mazda. Steering correction, on the highway, has been reduced, the most, with this change, compared to, any, change, I've made, in the past. I, definately, recommend, Bridgestone Serenity, for highway driving. I, still, can't comment, about, winter driving, since, I do, so little, of it. I would buy, these, again and again, unless, something does, better, in, later, years.

Was this review helpful?
You found this review helpful.
You did not find this review helpful.
This is your own survey.
While we do not allow users to rate their own surveys, you may:

See All of Your Surveys and Reviews
Was this review helpful? Registered users can answer "yes" or "no." Log In | Register

I can usually see where errors and simple omissions in spelling and grammar come from. They tend to follow discernible patterns that reflect laziness or misunderstanding of English or writing. I am totally baffled by this guy. I can't for the life of me imagine how anyone could end up putting commas in all those places, and I would be honestly interested to find out.

It's like if he were cooking, and he decided to brush marinade on his countertops, floors, and all his appliances as well as on his food.

Barring that, and the excessive length, it's actually not a bad review IMO...

I like how he gave us an update between 370 and 373 miles. Knowing how those tires performed within that critical 3 mile difference could make or break a potential purchase.

Disturbing in the extreme.

I, too, was blown, away, by the commas.

I also was blown away by the number of entries and how short the intervals were. Not to mention how many words he used to say very little.

THEN......!!

I tried to wade through his explanation on inflation pressure. The good news is that only a precious few will read it. The bad news is that it is totally boooooogus. And those that would try to follow it will either recognoze the flaws or they will not follow it because it is so complex.

I had a hard time getting to sleep last night...too much candy and cookies.

I came downstairs and started to read this thread and nodded off in no time.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
This is probably what we sound like when we talk about oil to other people.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back