Best Tested Wear Numbers Over Time For a 5W-20 SYN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to see what's working in the "field" over time. You know...tried and true. Something that has won your trust and you will not likely switch away from.

I am curious to see if a PAO GRP IV or an Ester Grp V. has advantages and if so do the numbers bear it out.

Additionally, what oil filters were used with the oil you mention to get the results you have seen over time.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
I am looking to see what's working in the "field" over time. You know...tried and true. Something that has won your trust and you will not likely switch away from.

I am curious to see if a PAO GRP IV or an Ester Grp V. has advantages and if so do the numbers bear it out.

Additionally, what oil filters were used with the oil you mention to get the results you have seen over time.

How long will you be keeping this car, with routine maintenance your body and frame will wear out before the engine does. JMO

35.gif

First question. What car, model and engine?

99% of the time, 19 times out of 20, the manual is a good place to start.

Using any named brand spec'd oil for your application, with regular maintenance, the engine will outlast the rest of the car.

There are too many variables to answer the question you have asked based on the information available on BITOG. Polaris Labs or Blackstone Labs probably has enough data to provide a statistically meaningful data universe over a long enough period of time, with a broad spectrum of engines/oils/filters. However, I doubt they are going to get involved in the "best 5W-20 oil" question.

Originally Posted By: webfors
99% of the time, 19 times out of 20, the manual is a good place to start.

19 out of 20 is 95%, not 99%.
Sorry, had to. OCD about those things.
lol.gif

Why a bring up 5w20 when you're asking which brand of oil is best?

This question has been beat to death and I haven't even been here that long.

It's very hard to pick out "the best one" outta the bunch because quite frankly, they're all good. Some do seem to work better in one engine then another so only a UOA of your particular engine and driving condition will tell you the answer. Not that I'm suggesting you start sample various brands to find the "best" one. Pick a brand and stay with it.

X2 on the fact that in reality, the body will fall apart before you have engine lube related problems, even with extended OCIs. Engines and oils are just that good these days.

Without back-to-back tear down testing of many engines running different oils, there is no way of knowing.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Without back-to-back tear down testing of many engines running different oils, there is no way of knowing.

I read this thread and had to bite my tongue, ...hard. [censored]!

To the OP, read this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis/

The first 4 paragraphs strongly relate to this post.

M1 EP and PP/PU, are probably the top 5w20's in my book if you want 'syns' that are tremendously tested look you need look no further. OTOH, I believe you could use any major 5w20 (conventional or syn) and with the right OCI have a car that runs until it turns to dust.

Get what is on sale, I am loyal to NO brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back