Best Synthetic Oil - Top 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you are more than aware there is no "best oil". But PP being # 1??!! Thats plain hilarious.
crackmeup2.gif
I mean yeah its an alright group III oil but no where near the top. Heres what it should look like.

1.Redline
2.Amsoil
3.Mobil 1
( sorry pennzoil platinum)
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
As you are more than aware there is no "best oil". But PP being # 1??!! Thats plain hilarious.
crackmeup2.gif
I mean yeah its an alright group III oil but no where near the top. Heres what it should look like.

1.Redline
2.Amsoil
3.Mobil 1
( sorry pennzoil platinum)
grin2.gif

I know there isnt a "best oil" but it's funny to read. According to the author it's best because...

"Why it's best: Pennzoil Platinum is easy to find at retail locations and less expensive than “premium” synthetic oils such as Redline or Amsoil."

Hey i guess because it's a convenient oil to purchase...it must be best (according to this author).

First thing I always want to know is the expertise and credibility of the person who puts forth these conclusions.

In this case, its some guy named Jeff, who describes himself thus, "I'm an enthusiast of pretty much all things tech, but am mostly into computers, home theater, and photography." He also like the drums and roller coasters. Seems more than qualified to make a definitive statement on motor oil.
smirk2.gif

Just some kid who spends way too much time on the internet, another self styled e-expert. I'll pass on his commentary.

After reading about UOA's, and engines that had fine UOA's with wiped out bearings and worn parts, I think the best oil would be determined by tearing down an engine. JMO

AD

Let's dissect his statement why PP is best...

Jeff says, "Why it's best: Pennzoil Platinum is easy to find at retail locations and less expensive than “premium” synthetic oils such as Redline or Amsoil"

Jeff admits that RedLine and Amsoil are "premium" synthetic oils but because of convenience and cost it isnt the best. In my opinion, it's a terrible analogy because he prioritizes convenience and cost ahead of performance and results. Jeff does go on to say that he does factor in performance and value but in my opinion...convenience and cost are the factors that carry more weight.

I actually like his top 3.

In terms of sales, it's Mobil 1 then all others. Competition has been growing though.

In all fairness, for 90+% of the population, Platinum is probably one of the top 3 oils most suited to their needs when performance/cost/availablity are factored in.

Very few people derive any benefit from their "boutique" oils, and of those that do, I would guess that few will own their cars long enough to actually realize any benefit they would realize over using Platinum.

Cheers,

J

Originally Posted By: buster
I actually like his top 3.

In terms of sales, it's Mobil 1 then all others. Competition has been growing though.

Buster,
No doubt more synt. oil is being used all the time and M1 oils are the most widely used, but do you think they are losing market share to the other companies?

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
...and BITOG is used as reference. Take it for what it is...

Then we know it is based on personal (or mob) preference.

Depends on the price. If you walk into Walmart I think PP is cheaper. That would be the 'best' for me on that trip.

Last edited:
I can see both sides of the argument. I do agree that since I cannot pick up AMSOIL easily, then it will never enter my personal top 3 oils.

Please remember, I said my personal top 3. I won't even begin to tell others what the best oil for them is. Heck, I use Super Tech oil. Cheapest oil out thers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back