Best synthetic 5W40 for a small turbo GDI car?

And Redline approves this for my 2.0L Ecoboost

B5C15191-EC4B-46DE-B20C-35473E839D50.jpeg

So
If this oil is a cat killer
Amsoil falls in the same category

Why would Redline stick their neck out ???🤔

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dennisbible
I need to do the first oil change in my Hyundai EGT n-line. It has the 1.6 turbo engine with GDI. I see that Hyundai recommends synthetic 5W40. Suggestions? Someone told me Motul, but then I saw that may not be good for GDI.

First of all, you do not have to go 5W40 per se to get thick oil that will do good with potential fuel dilution.
You want oils that are approved for European manufacturers (ACEA A3/B3 B4, and reason for that is that Euro manufacturers have more stringent oil requirements), oil approved for MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 502.00 Porsche A40 (only W40 oils). You can also go lower SAPS oils (ACEA C3) that were some time ago primarily designed for diesels, but with drastic drop of sulfur levels in gas in Europe in 2009, and the US in 2017, they are also good for gas engines (and much better for catalytic converters). You can use anything that has MB 229.51, BMW LL04, VW 50400/507.00 approvals.
Now, reason why I am saying approvals and not specific grade is that all these oils must have minimum HTHS of 3.5, and they are usually thin W40 or thick W30 oils.
Readily available oils? My choice would be Castrol Edge 0W40 in Wal Mart that goes anywhere between $22 to $28 (5qt jug). Same goes for Mobil1 0W40, alo in Wal Mart. You can get Castrol Edge 5W40 in Wal Mart for same price, but it is step below Edge 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40. Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 is an option too.
If you go with C3 oil, you can find Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 for $22 in Wal Mart.
Online you can find bunch of other options, but Castrol 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 are go to oils for owners of Euro vehicles and they are dealing with turbos much, much longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by dennisbible
I need to do the first oil change in my Hyundai EGT n-line. It has the 1.6 turbo engine with GDI. I see that Hyundai recommends synthetic 5W40. Suggestions? Someone told me Motul, but then I saw that may not be good for GDI.

First of all, you do not have to go 5W40 per se to get thick oil that will do good with potential fuel dilution.
You want oils that are approved for European manufacturers (ACEA A3/B3 B4, and reason for that is that Euro manufacturers have more stringent oil requirements), oil approved for MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 502.00 Porsche A40 (only W40 oils). You can also go lower SAPS oils (ACEA C3) that were some time ago primarily designed for diesels, but with drastic drop of sulfur levels in gas in Europe in 2009, and the US in 2017, they are also good for gas engines (and much better for catalytic converters). You can use anything that has MB 229.51, BMW LL04, VW 50400/507.00 approvals.
Now, reason why I am saying approvals and not specific grade is that all these oils must have minimum HTHS of 3.5, and they are usually thin W40 or thick W30 oils.
Readily available oils? My choice would be Castrol Edge 0W40 in Wal Mart that goes anywhere between $22 to $28 (5qt jug). Same goes for Mobil1 0W40, alo in Wal Mart. You can get Castrol Edge 5W40 in Wal Mart for same price, but it is step below Edge 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40. Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 is an option too.
If you go with C3 oil, you can find Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 for $22 in Wal Mart.
Online you can find bunch of other options, but Castrol 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 are go to oils for owners of Euro vehicles and they are dealing with turbos much, much longer.

I'd go with Mobil1 0w40 right now, get two jugs, and submit the $20 rebate for them make them about $15 per 5qts after rebates and taxes, great deal for Euro spec oil.

Either Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40, both available at Walmart for around $25 for five quarts (and as noted the Mobil 1 has a rebate). Both of these oils have a number of stringent manufacturer approvals such as Porsche A40 and will work well. There is no need for a boutique oil when these oils are ubiquitously available for so little cost. You will get no measurable benefit from Amsoil nor Redline.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Even has Ford approval ratings

What is an "approval rating"? Considering the oil has none of the approvals listed I also doubt it actually carries the Ford specification. More likely "recommended for those applications requiring" just like the rest of that list.

There is no such thing as an "approval rating", that's called "doublespeak".

Also Mobil 1 HM 10W30 is ACEA A3 with 3.5min HTHS.

I would guess the M1 0W40 FS would be the all round better oil.

But I havent run either lately.

I did use the M1 to boos the vis in my VW since the 0w20 was too thin - engin eran noisey and poor and was using oil.

Added some 0w40 and it was quite the transformation in to proper running characteristics.

No Kidding.!

If it was my car, I would balance cost, more frequent oil changes to combat GDI effects, take into acount LSPI with SN+ rating and easy oil availability.
I would use PP 5W-30 with an OEM oil filter and change it every 5,000 miles.

Big fan of Castrol Edge 5W40. Been using it in 4 cylinder turbos since it came out, because it meets VW 502.00/505.00 specs.

I don't even think they wordsmith quite like Amsoil does … and I certainly think they both make great products … just more than you need to spend and not get OEM approvals like so many others do.
Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil all have excellent 0w40 oils …

Back