Best Synth Oil for Stock Turbos

What would make an oil turbo friendly when all the oils have the same ratings ecoboost link.
I (and other's) posted the original 200K mile mark for that truck sometime back too. And the point is a great one. Twin Turbo 3.5L Ecoboost at 240K miles w/o an issue on Synthetic Blend.

Last edited:
What would make an oil turbo friendly when all the oils have the same ratings ecoboost link.
Since it's harder to find Group I/II majority basestock oils, Group III/IV base stocks are more resistant to oil coking on oil cooled turbos. Add water cooling and a pump to circulate the coolant after shutoff also prevents oil coking the turbo.

Hi BITOG fam,

Recently made the jump from a 5.0 Coyote Mustang to a 3.0 Q60 Infiniti (twin turbo cousin of the GTR, think I’m in a quarter life crisis.) Ran Castrol Edge (black bottle) exclusively in my old stang and tried it in the Q only to find that the oil darkened after 500 miles or so. I know oil color typically isn’t a great indicator of life or performance but for some reason it bothered me. Turbos change the game in regards to heat, soot, thermal breakdown, shearing etc. Switched to Pennzoil Platinum on the advice of another turbo vehicle owner with seemingly good results, it seems like oil stays cleaner longer. Any opinions or suggestions on a good oil for the Q?
Personal choice between those two, Castrol Edge, for no other reason than I'm just not a big fan of Pennzoil. The Castrol worked for you in the past, why change? Oil color really shouldn't matter and stay with 5w30.

Back