best stop leak additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey just did head gasket on an 88 supra cast iron block aluminum head and i really dont want to do it again but it is leaking oil from where the head and block mates because i didnt put enough silicone there i guess what products could you guys recommend me

Originally Posted By: dee242
... i didnt put enough silicone there i guess...

errrr... what? Silicone is not supposed to be used on the 2JZ engines, I assume the same is true for 1JZ and 7M. If you put a new gasket in there with silicone, and it's leaking at the same spot, either the silicone was not uniform (you'll have to remove it all and get a new head gasket) or it might not have been the gasket that was causing the problem. Did you verify that the block itself was not cracked at the leak location? Did you see a problem with the gasket when you removed it? was it damaged?

Edit: maybe I read that wrong. what was your original reason for replacing the head gasket?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
OK, I'll bite. He can't mean head gasket.

Maybe he means valve cover gasket?
confused2.gif

Yeah i didnt actually use silicone as a head gasket But as chris 142 said thats what your suppose to do maby ill just leave everything connected pull the valve covers lift the gead with an engine crane and try and get some silicone under there

Yeah i didnt actually use silicone as a head gasket But as chris 142 said thats what your suppose to do maby ill just leave everything connected pull the valve covers lift the gead with an engine crane and try and get some silicone under there

its too late for half-*ss fixes. The whole thing has to come apart again, and assembled by an experienced technician with quality gaskets.

It's always cheaper to do it right the first time.

Z.

Stop leak will not help the described problem. Head gaskets normally should have ZERO sealant of any kind applied. They keys to a successful head gasket installation are: clean block and head surfaces; "NEW" head-bolts and an accurate torque wrench.
My questions are 1. did the machine shop check this head for straightness? 2. Did you follow the shop manual precisely when torquing down the head with the new head-bolts and gasket? I don't see any way around a second new gasket and a second set of new head-bolts (they are a one time use, torque- to- yield design).

Dr. olds

The best stop leak out there is liqui-moly motor oil saver though I don't think it will do anything to help silicone or rtv sealant.

head gasket was installed correctly and is a metal one and block was checked by a machine shop also all 7mgtes require the silicone dap at the front of the motor where the head block and timing covers mate im just going to pull the timing cover clean the block left the head and put some silicone in there

head gasket was installed correctly and is a metal one and block was checked by a machine shop also all 7mgtes require the silicone dap at the front of the motor where the head block and timing covers mate im just going to pull the timing cover clean the block left the head and put some silicone in there

If you reuse the old head gasket you won't get anywhere with the problem . All gaskets should be replaced if there was leaking around them. And of course the sealant should be put where the factory shop imanual ndicates, not where some shade tree expert is telling you. You do have access to the factory manual, right ?

If you try to fix this oil leak on the cheap, you are sure to be doing it for the third time. Does that appeal to you ?

Z

Last edited:
I have no idea what exactly is going on in this thread.

I mean, really. If you put a dab of silicone on the timing cover, isn't that done after the head is installed? You don't put it anywhere between the block and the head, right? So you wouldn't have to pull the head off... again... to fix it? Or am I just ignorant of this engine design?

And pull the head with a crane????????????????? What by releasing the bolts and pulling it up a little? That's gonna ruin your gasket seal and possibly the bolts, if they were TTY.

I just... I just don't.

Guys. This engine as well as the 20r and 22r call for a dab of sealer where the timing cover,block and head meet regardless of gasket brand. You don't do the whole head gasket.just the spot I mentioned and just a dab

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back