Best Standard Oil Brand? ie 5w-30 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Chevron/Texaco is the best. It is a group 2 with a pour point of -44f. Pennzoil is good, but Chevron/Texaco is about half the price.

I found that Castrol tended to varnish/sludge up engines. I have talked with people who have used it and this is what they have said. I have used it and noticed it does not clean well. Also, the pour point is -27f (not good)

where do you guys buy Chevron/Texaco at and how much does it cost?

[ January 29, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: huxley7 ]

I get Chevron Supreme at Checker auto for $1.19 per qrt. Havoline is at Checker, Fleet Farm (Walmart has the Shell version of Havloine)

What are you guys talking about as fas as castrol and cold weather? I found a data sheet showing a pour point of GTX 10w-30 SJ as -33 F. Which was as good or better than all the other major brands.

Pour point is not what you want to look at. Oil at the pour point is way too thick for good lubrication. Low pumpability temperature is one useful cold weather criteria. Or, just follow your owner's manual on the cold end of the viscosity chart.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
What are you guys talking about as fas as castrol and cold weather? I found a data sheet showing a pour point of GTX 10w-30 SJ as -33 F. Which was as good or better than all the other major brands.

Actually they list their pour point as -33c, which is -27F. Their cold cranking specs are very vague too, it just says less than 6600 for each of their oils at the corresponding temperature that they qualify under.

I believe the SL formula of oils has much stricter qualifications in terms of sludge control, so it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

GTX has shown great results, but I do agree that it's cold weather properties don't appear too good.

I think Pennzoil has one of the best cold weather performance specs, Chevron too.

[ January 29, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

I think Pennzoil has one of the best cold weather performance specs, Chevron too.

Is Chevron the same as Citgo? My Jeep dealer uses Citgo 10w-30 on all their oil changes.

Mobil Drive clean has been treating me well for the last few intervals. No moly but it seems to do it's job.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by dagmando:

Is Chevron the same as Citgo? My Jeep dealer uses Citgo 10w-30 on all their oil changes.

No connection. ChevronTexaco, headquartered in the San Francisco area, is one of the world's oil giants. Citgo is owned by Petroleos de Venezuela and only has regional distribution in the U. S.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
I found that Castrol tended to varnish/sludge up engines. I have talked with people who have used it and this is what they have said. I have used it and noticed it does not clean well. Also, the pour point is -27f (not good)

Castrol does tend to put a caramel color to the engine but it does not sludge it. Pennzoil and Quaker State oil tend's to sludge up engines.

Where did you get this idea that Pennzoil and Quaker State oils sludge up engines? It sounds like the typical stories told by many mechanics, but without any real data to back it up. Any oil will sludge up if someone leaves it in the engine for too long. But when changed within a reasonable amount of time for that particular application, it won't create sludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back