Best spark plug for 01 Toyota Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's coil on plug. Thank you for your assistance!

I ordered the iridium plugs from rockauto.

Thanks for everyone's help, always get good feedback and guidance on bobistheoilguy.com.

Is it hard to do the spark plugs on the Sequoia? If it is, you want to use the new NGK ruthenium, so you'll never have to do them again!

OTOH, if the job is easy, then just use the cheap NGK G-Power or Denso TT. Of course, nothing wrong with using any other Denso or NGK made for your car, as the OE seems to be the NGK V-Power

You can't go wrong with an NGK BKR6EP/BKR6IX or Denso PK20R/SK20R on these.

I'm suprised Toyota didn't spec a 1.1mm/.044" gap on these or a Pt/Ir plug and the 2UZ-FE V8 is loosely based off the 2nd generation Lexus 1UZ on the 1993-1997 LS400/SC400. Just with more bore/stroke, iron block and a heavier crank.

I'd put in what the owners manual recommended.

First choice, Denso

Second choice, NGK

AND I'd only buy them from a dealer or parts store. Too many fake ones online.

I have the same engine in an '02 Sequoia. I've been running standard OEM plugs (NGK) since new. I change them every 30K-40K. Runs great. It is a simple job. Use compressed air to clean the area around the plusg before you pull them.

Originally Posted by joegreen
I think Toyota might tell you what plug to use on a sticker under the hood

This is a common answer however, the sticker is 18 years old. Not sure when Toyota changed to Iridiums, but even if they are advocating Platinum plugs, that is obsolete except if you want to save 10 bucks on your plugs. If they are suggesting copper plugs, that is old man stuff.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by joegreen
I think Toyota might tell you what plug to use on a sticker under the hood

This is a common answer however, the sticker is 18 years old. Not sure when Toyota changed to Iridiums, but even if they are advocating Platinum plugs, that is obsolete except if you want to save 10 bucks on your plugs. If they are suggesting copper plugs, that is old man stuff.
smile.gif

Toyota did put a notice on the underhood belt/vacuum routing label to use Pt-tipped plugs without regapping and to change them out every 60K on the Lexus lineup, but they switched over to a small blue and white label in the mid-1990s to use Pt/Ir plugs as specified without gapping.

https://dxsdcl7y7vn9x.cloudfront.net/3/287995/20604011/thumb/1071754968.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back