Best shut off practice?

Graham Piccinini

Most of my small carb'd engines are started at least once a month, with few cold months being the exception. All have MMO in fuel (in recommended dosage) because carbs and bowls stay clean with it, as compared to straight gasoline. Is it best to shut them off manually, with fuel left in the bowl? Or am I fine to keep doing the fuel shut off and let the carb starve & die? I've been doing the fuel starve method by default, but recently wondered if I may be causing issues somehow? Thanks in advance.

That's what I use in my Pressure Washer. It has a 6.5 H.P. Kohler OHV engine, and only gets run a couple of times a year. So I just use Tru-Fuel treated with a good dose of Pri-G. It always starts on the first or second pull. Even after sitting for months.

Sounds good. I'll most likely use it this winter for the storage time period.

Good luck finding non-ethanol fuel though. Wish it was more widely available.

Isn't high octane fuel bad for small engines? I guess unless it's designed specifically for it, I just thought you're supposed to use regular.

Where do you get your non-ethanol fuel?

Here in Iowa the Kwik Star stations carry recreational fuel that is E0. Some Casey's and Hy-Vee's have E0 as well.

just my $0.02

Most of my small carb'd engines are started at least once a month, with few cold months being the exception. All have MMO in fuel (in recommended dosage) because carbs and bowls stay clean with it, as compared to straight gasoline. Is it best to shut them off manually, with fuel left in the bowl? Or am I fine to keep doing the fuel shut off and let the carb starve & die? I've been doing the fuel starve method by default, but recently wondered if I may be causing issues somehow? Thanks in advance.
Blue marine Stabil would be better. E0 gas even better.

My main shutoff procedure is idling down the throttle first. Unless I want to hear a big bang.
One of my old B&S engines was like that but all of my current stuff is more forgiving. I shut off my 25 y.o. Honda mower by releasing the safety handle at whatever RPM was used for mowing, and I never shut off the gas. Apparently this procedure hasn't caused any problems; it still starts on the first pull every time.

Back