Best Shotgun for a senior lefty - Browning BPS 20 gauge?

So I’m a soon to be senior and have gotten into the shooting sports (pistol) as a hobby and as a way to stay connected with my son and frankly, meet some great folks. My son has gotten into shooting clays and I went with him and used his single shot 12 gauge and had more success then I expected. I would like to get my own shotgun. But the 12 gauge was too much, beat up my left shoulder and I’m already having rotator cuff issues with that shoulder that I don’t need to injure it while shooting. I am a lefty in everything except playing music (violin and guitar) and where the computer mouse goes.

I see clays, bird/duck, squirrel and maybe turkey hunting as future possibilities. I’d like to get one shotgun that could reasonably cover all these needs.

I am seriously considering a Browning BPS 20 gauge. Features include bottom discharge since I really don’t like shells ejecting across my sight line and an easily reached safety. I held one in 28 gauge and liked the feel of it but thought 28 gauge was too light and shell were going to be hard to find and expensive. Any thoughts on a Browning BPS or recommendations for other makes would be appreciate. Target is $800 or less. A pure lefty gun is a nonstarter since I want to be able to pass it down to my righty son once I’m unable to use it anymore. That time comes along for everyone unfortunately…

a good semi auto shotgun that is gas operated. not an inertia model. pump shotguns are very reliable, but they kick like a mule especially in 12 gauge. treat yourself and get a good ol benelli gas operated. it will serve you well and treat you well. and you will be able to have a 12 gauge. i have one and i shoot 2 3/4 holding it with one arm. browning make a very good gas operated shotgun, the maxus II. if you want to really treat yourself, try or get a fabarm. they are italian gas operated semi auto shotguns and they are work of arts. but i believe a good benelli would serve you well. they are fairly heavy and gas operated and have a very good pad system for recoil. look for any gas operated semi auto shotgun. also consider the remington model 1100 sporting series in walnut. it has 28 barrel and is a very good soft shooting gas operated semi auto.

... My son has gotten into shooting clays and I went with him and used his single shot 12 gauge and had more success then I expected. I would like to get my own shotgun. But the 12 gauge was too much, beat up my left shoulder and I’m already having rotator cuff issues with that shoulder that I don’t need to injure it while shooting. I am a lefty in everything except playing music (violin and guitar) and where the computer mouse goes.
... A pure lefty gun is a nonstarter since I want to be able to pass it down to my righty son once I’m unable to use it anymore. ...
Double barrel, whether over-under or side by side, are often symmetric which is great for lefties yet not lefty-specific.

How much you feel the recoil depends a lot on proper fit and hold. A 12 gauge when properly fitted and held isn't bad, you should be able to shoot it for hours, especially with typical trap/skeet loads. But otherwise it can really leave a mark. Of course all else equal, a 20 is easier. But all else is not equal. The more experienced club members can help you with fit and hold, don't be afraid to ask them. Getting ergonomics & technique right will make the sport more enjoyable no matter what kind of shotgun you use.

20s will be great regarding ammo availability however listen to the recommendations above. A 20 in a basic config can feel almost like a 12. If money grew on trees I love to own a Browning Sweet 16 with a 26 in barrel. In my opinion that’s the best “do it all” shotgun. Then again the initial cost and ammo availability isn’t great.

Thanks for the replies. Great board. I’m very much a novice on shotguns but a bit of research on the term “auto loader” brought me to guns that discharge right in my line of sight. I’m really trying to avoid that. I’ve had detached retina surgery in both eyes in the last few years. it’s made me very eye “fidgety” if you know what I mean.

Any semiautomatic shotguns that discharge downward? I would say my priorities are first - nothing ejects across my eyes and secondarily lower recoil. When I say shooting clays I mean my son and I out in a field using a thrower device and blasting them, not a club or competition. Bonding time, not competition is the goal.

The initial reply (thank you!) had a link and it mentioned a Browning BPS as a good lefty gun. Anyone here have experience with one or an Ithica 37 which I’m told is similar?

Last edited:

Best Shotgun for a senior lefty​

I am both and have one of these same Benellis. Simply the best. By the way how are Hank and Dagney if you still speak with her? Looking to move to Galt's Gulch if things don't improve. Apologies if you aren't the authentic JG. If you are then who are you?

Benelli.jpg

Best Shotgun for a senior lefty​

I am both and have one of these same Benellis. Simply the best. By the way how are Hank and Dagney if you still speak with her? Looking to move to Galt's Gulch if things don't improve. Apologies if you aren't the authentic JG. If you are then who are you?

View attachment 121840
I’m hiding out in the Gulch, biding my time for my return… it’s getting closer and closer the way things are going.

and wow! Those are really beautiful shotguns!

I am also left handed and shoot a BPS in the 12gauge version absolutely would reccomend one to anyone. I would shoot and reccomend the 20 to anyone for a pump shotgun.

My coworker here is a lefty and trap shoots 2-3 times per week. I asked him and he said the best entry level option for the dollar is Browning BT-99. Says semi-autos are fine but require a lot of cleaning.

My coworker here is a lefty and trap shoots 2-3 times per week. I asked him and he said the best entry level option for the dollar is Browning BT-99. Says semi-autos are fine but require a lot of cleaning.
Jimmy, Thank you for reach out and asking, he must be a good shooter. They are Single shot guns so no issue with ejected rounds. I looked these up on gunbroker.com and they are $1,800+ guns. Might be perfect for trap but way out of my budget.

I’m a lefty and own a 12ga BPS. I like the bottom ejection OK but what I really like is the top tang safety.
Mr Elkins, question for you and #18FAN. A plus 1 for really liking the easy to reach tang safety. You guys own the Browning BPS in 12 gauge. What do you use the guns for? Trap, skeet, hunting, home intruder defense? Any drawbacks like difficult to clean or maintain. The YouTube reviews seems to be positive but it’s nice to get feedback from a user.

I’m going on a squirrel hunt on Friday for the first time and wish I was using my own 20 gauge. Single shot 12 it will be.

Mr Elkins, question for you and #18FAN. A plus 1 for really liking the easy to reach tang safety. You guys own the Browning BPS in 12 gauge. What do you use the guns for? Trap, skeet, hunting, home intruder defense? Any drawbacks like difficult to clean or maintain. The YouTube reviews seems to be positive but it’s nice to get feedback from a user.

I’m going on a squirrel hunt on Friday for the first time and wish I was using my own 20 gauge. Single shot 12 it will be.
I bought mine in the early 90’s and have used it strictly for hunting. I have an 18” Mossberg 500 I use as a house gun. It also has a tang safety and right side ejection doesn’t bother me.

The top tang safety is really nice I had the gun for years just a workhorse on pheasant hunts clay pigeons duck hunting. The gun became a backup as I went to a over under but always packed it on trips for me or my buddies if a gun failed it’s as easy to clean as any other pump shot gun. I would buy one again without hesitation if in the market for a pump shotgun.

Thanks for the replies. Great board. I’m very much a novice on shotguns but a bit of research on the term “auto loader” brought me to guns that discharge right in my line of sight. I’m really trying to avoid that. I’ve had detached retina surgery in both eyes in the last few years. it’s made me very eye “fidgety” if you know what I mean.

Any semiautomatic shotguns that discharge downward? I would say my priorities are first - nothing ejects across my eyes and secondarily lower recoil. When I say shooting clays I mean my son and I out in a field using a thrower device and blasting them, not a club or competition. Bonding time, not competition is the goal.

The initial reply (thank you!) had a link and it mentioned a Browning BPS as a good lefty gun. Anyone here have experience with one or an Ithica 37 which I’m told is similar?
The BPS has one fatal flaw IMHO that disqualifies it as a gun for shooting sports. There is no way to single load a round directly into the chamber. You have to load the shell into the magazine and then pump it into the chamber. As someone who has shot a few rounds of trap with my 16 gauge BPS, this gets really, really old very, very fast. The BPS is a great field gun, but I don't recommend it to anyone for self defense or shooting sports. It is also a nightmare to reassemble if you are ever stupid enough(raises hand) to disassemble it for a thorough cleaning.

I'm with those recommending an over/under for a combo hunting/clays gun. I have a Citrori in 16 gauge that I dearly love. They are above your budget, even used unfortunately. CZ makes fine firearms and has over/unders in the $700-$1200 range. They even have a 20 gauge specifically for left handers. The Redhead premier is an outstanding value.
CZ Over/Under

Ed

A 20 gauge is usually lighter than a 12 guage of the same model/type, so the recoil reduction is a common misconception or myth. 1oz of shot at 1100fps produces the same energy coming from a 12 or 20 gauge hull. So you're getting the same push on less weigth = more push into your shoulder (and face on a poorly fitted or improperly held gun).
I shoot Trap in a league and even the oldest, most feeble, shoot 12 gauge. They just reduce the shot to achieve less felt recoil. 7/8 or 3/4 oz @ 1100fps will still smoke a clay if you do your job.
No one recommends starting shooting sports with a 20 guage anymore. There's more to it: shot column and pattern at the target etc. And most of all, for recoil sensitivity, a gas gun with proper fit. Proper fit, proper fit, proper fit............. I'll say it again; lighter loads and proper fit.

Back