Best serpentine drive belts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to buy one for an 03 Acura MDX and was wondering what you guys would recommend? Dayco Poly Rib? Goodyear Gatorback? Gates Micro-V? Thanks.

I like the gatorback; they put little dimples in the rib side for extra traction and flexibility.

Sometimes they make noise for a week till they set in. Very sticky.

I thought I liked gatorbacks, but my truck, which sits and doesnt get much use, has gotten progressively noisier at certain engine speeds with the gatorback. Im going to go back toa gates and see how that does...

I tried a Gatorback belts years ago on the supercharged 3800 that was in my Grand Prix. It resulted in an annoying whine. I swapped them with a set of Gates belts and the whine went away.

I used OEM serpentine belts for years on my Vettes until I tried a Gates Micro-V. Never went back to OEM after that. Gates held up better, were quieter, and cost less. Can't beat 'em! (YMMV)

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the Gates Micro-V or the Newer Dayco Poly (W) Rib design. Probably will try the new Dayco W belt.

I just have to ask this, why are you needing to replacing the serpentine belt?

How many miles on the MDX?

Usually the serpentine belts on these cars will last well beyond the first timing belt job at 105k. I would just go OE and get one from the dealer or worldpac.

One thing I notice about Mitsuboshi: their belt for OEM Honda is very nice and thick, but their after market is very thin and low quality.

At least with Gate and AC Delco I know what I'm getting, consistent to my expectation.

I've tried Beck Arnley and it is good quality.

Dealer replaced the belt(OEM) and a few pulleys/tensioner 30K miles ago and it now buzz's/chirps when first started and then at 2K rpm's. For $30 or so I can replace and check the pulleys. Car now has 120K miles...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Dealer replaced the belt(OEM) and a few pulleys/tensioner 30K miles ago and it now buzz's/chirps when first started and then at 2K rpm's. For $30 or so I can replace and check the pulleys. Car now has 120K miles...

Per the Critic's comment above (and Ive had similar experiences on most every engine we have which uses a serpinine belt), seems either Honda quality got the best of you, or the dealer's service writer did... What was the matter with the OE one? Was it actually worn below spec (there is a gauge for that)?

I can see replacing parts as due diligence, and if that was the intent, then that's fine and surely very smart. However, if the job was botched from the start or the parts are of low quality, id try to get some money back...

I had the timing belt/pulleys/tensioner/water pump, all belts, etc done at 95K miles and going back now would be a waste of time. Just do not want to deal with the dealer and would rather just replace and check it out on my own. The belt looks fine but I hate it when it chirps and buzzes. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sometimes the belt they use is for the wrong engine and is a little longer, so the tension wasn't set right, or the angle of the groove wasn't exactly identical to the worn pulley and it slipped a little and cause the chirp.

I've heard sanding the pulley to make it a little rough would work, or try another belt and see if it works better. Belt isn't really a precision equipment and sometimes you have to try a few before finding a match to your pulleys.

Actually got a gatorback on my jeep, its 5 years old and still good, if these are still made in the states I may use them on my other vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I need to buy one for an 03 Acura MDX and was wondering what you guys would recommend? Dayco Poly Rib? Goodyear Gatorback? Gates Micro-V? Thanks.

Mitsuboshi (Made in Japan, OEM belts for many Japanese cars)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back