Best Route from OH to Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Later this week I'll be making the trek from NEO to Baltimore for Otakon. I have a couple different options as to which road to take. Either way it'll be I-80/OH Tpke through most of Ohio, to Youngstown. From there I can either take I-76/PA Tpke across to I-70. This would result in about $26 in tolls using my EZPass. Or, I can take I-79 down to I-68 in Morgantown WV, and then take that across to I-70 near Hagerstown. This a bit further, but avoids the tolls on I-76, and seems like it might be a bit more scenic and less crowded.

When I went to NJ I went out I-80 through PA, which was a nice drive. Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks in advance as always
smile.gif

I never liked I-76 in PA expensive tolls, has massive heavy truck traffic.. and many of the hills are banked wrong.
76 does Go directly there and is 35-50miles shorter

I-80 is not toll(in PA) and a much better road.
you can take it over its about 35miles farther, and depending on your arrival time the southward cut towards baltimore can be brutal.

I have not done any of the more exotic ways such as 77 to 22 to 70

Last edited:
I much prefer taking 79 down to 68 and catching 70 from there. As you mentioned 68 is a lot more pleasant to drive on than 76 in PA due to less traffic, better scenery and no tolls. In the winter I have a feeling 68 can be a little rough if you hit snow, but during the summer it's a much more pleasant trip than taking the PA Turnpike.

I used to drive that route a lot as my brother and sister went to school in Baltimore and dc- most direct way is I-76. They have really nice travel plazas as most have been replace with new ones.

I'd take I79 to I68.
Drove that last summer. Good road and not much traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back