Best Route from OH to Baltimore

Later this week I'll be making the trek from NEO to Baltimore for Otakon. I have a couple different options as to which road to take. Either way it'll be I-80/OH Tpke through most of Ohio, to Youngstown. From there I can either take I-76/PA Tpke across to I-70. This would result in about $26 in tolls using my EZPass. Or, I can take I-79 down to I-68 in Morgantown WV, and then take that across to I-70 near Hagerstown. This a bit further, but avoids the tolls on I-76, and seems like it might be a bit more scenic and less crowded. When I went to NJ I went out I-80 through PA, which was a nice drive. Anyone have any input on this? Thanks in advance as always smile

I never liked I-76 in PA expensive tolls, has massive heavy truck traffic.. and many of the hills are banked wrong. 76 does Go directly there and is 35-50miles shorter I-80 is not toll(in PA) and a much better road. you can take it over its about 35miles farther, and depending on your arrival time the southward cut towards baltimore can be brutal. I have not done any of the more exotic ways such as 77 to 22 to 70

Last edited:
I much prefer taking 79 down to 68 and catching 70 from there. As you mentioned 68 is a lot more pleasant to drive on than 76 in PA due to less traffic, better scenery and no tolls. In the winter I have a feeling 68 can be a little rough if you hit snow, but during the summer it's a much more pleasant trip than taking the PA Turnpike.

I used to drive that route a lot as my brother and sister went to school in Baltimore and dc- most direct way is I-76. They have really nice travel plazas as most have been replace with new ones.