Best Readily Available 5W30 Synthetic for GDI Engines ?

I have a 2014 Sportage (bought in Apr 2014) with 2.4L GDI and after some experimenting in the early months/years of ownership I settled on 4K miles OCIs and 5w-30 PP for the main oil choice. I'm at just over 80K miles on the car now and it started burning a little oil about 6 months ago, about a quart over OCI. I'll be running HM oil next OCI in hope it would recondition valve guides and then will switch to Pennzoil Euro LX 0w-30 with MB229.52 spec. I understand that engine was designed to live about 200K miles (300K km).
While I tried IVD in the past (twice) it never made much difference and not much smoke was coming after its use, used as per instructions.
Changing plugs at 47K miles didn't make observable differences either. What did make big difference resulting in very smooth engine was engine flush followed by Ceratec treatment. To be honest the engine has never run rough but had a bit of vibration which is gone now. Still running original coils. The car was made and assembled in Korea thou. Engine code is G4KJ.

Instead of worrying about it preemptively, I'd rather wait until the vehicle actually starts misfiring and running rough (if ever) and find a decent shop to do a media blasting.

My choice. ;)
81YJEWL1CDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

the car now and it started burning a little oil about 6 months ago, about a quart over OCI
These start burning oil because the eings gets stuck due running engine oils that have no ability whatsoever to clean after themselves, like your Pennzoil for example. Run an OCI or two with HPL Engine Cleaner and Mobil 1 0W-40 and see if your oil consumtion goes down. If you don't get this under control, the cylinder walls can get so much scuffing that your oil consumption will only keep getting worse. That's how most of these engines die and early death.

Pennzoil Euro LX 0w-30 with MB229.52 spec.
It doesn't clean. It'd GTL + Group I add pack carrier + add pack. The motor oils that have cleaning abilities are either Mobil 1 (pretty low), or one of the boutique brands (that's why they're more expensive), with HPL being at the top of the foodchain.

High Mileage oil won't "condition" a anything, but it's good marketing. The tiny little bit of ester that many companies put in there is not enough to do much.

Try and clean your piston rings before the oil consumption gets worse.

I'd skip the Ceratec, fill the sump with Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 and motor on. 5k/6month OCI sounds good, if you want to confirm or tweak it get a UOA with TBN and post it on the site.

I'd skip the Ceratec, fill the sump with Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 and motor on. 5k/6month OCI sounds good, if you want to confirm or tweak it get a UOA with TBN and post it on the site.
*If only M1 5W30 ESP were offered at WM in 5-quart jugs - unfortunately it is not either in stores OR on-line (ditto for Amazon) !

*If only M1 5W30 ESP were offered at WM in 5-quart jugs - unfortunately it is not either in stores OR on-line (ditto for Amazon) !
IIRC I bought it at AAP. They had a sale on it last year I think and I loaded up on it.

5W-30 viscosity for KV@100C(212F) can have a wide range from thin (close to 5W-20) to thick (close to 5W-40).
You might want to do an engine flush to clean out the engine, and then run a thick 5W-30 after that at 3k-4k oil change intervals.

These start burning oil because the eings gets stuck due running engine oils that have no ability whatsoever to clean after themselves, like your Pennzoil for example. Run an OCI or two with HPL Engine Cleaner and Mobil 1 0W-40 and see if your oil consumtion goes down. If you don't get this under control, the cylinder walls can get so much scuffing that your oil consumption will only keep getting worse. That's how most of these engines die and early death.

It doesn't clean. It'd GTL + Group I add pack carrier + add pack. The motor oils that have cleaning abilities are either Mobil 1 (pretty low), or one of the boutique brands (that's why they're more expensive), with HPL being at the top of the foodchain.

High Mileage oil won't "condition" a anything, but it's good marketing. The tiny little bit of ester that many companies put in there is not enough to do much.

Try and clean your piston rings before the oil consumption gets worse.
"Supposedly" M1 High Mileage synthetic oils provide cleaning of engine internals as does adding 5 ozs. of Seafoam added to the oil the last 150 miles before an oil change . Rislone added to the oil of a fresh fill also is supposedly good for cleaning rings and engine internals .

Back