Best Readily Available 5W30 Synthetic for GDI Engines ?

By now you would think there would be enough research , real life examinations , etc. to determine best readily available 5W30 synthetic oils to combat intake valve deposits which are still an issue with GDI engines . My Hyundai 2017 2.4L (non - turbo) GDI engine recommends 5W20 on the oil cap (absolutely because of CAFE) and now recommends 5W30 for this engine . I bounce between : M1 5W30 EP , Valvoline Advanced & EP 5W30 and even GSUD all in 5W30 5W30 all from my past SN+ , GF5 , D1 / Gen 2 synthetic oil stash running each no more than a 5K mile / 6 month OCI . What (if anything) do newer GF6 / SP D1 / Gen 3 synthetic 5W30 oils address with respect to GDI engines ?

What (if anything) do newer GF6 / SP D1 / Gen 3 synthetic 5W30 oils address with respect to GDI engines ?

oil2.png

More good info is available here.

There are no oils that can significantly mitigate the inherent flaws of GDI engines. Based on the discussions in the past on this topic, it's whole oil and not vapors coming in contact with the valves, so low Noack isn't necessarily a sure bet. I think oils with top notch base oils that are less prone to coking and have strong oxidation resistance are the only things I can think of. All of the oils you mentioned are good at that.

I'm curious if esters can help. HPL states they can and Valvoline Modern Engine was unique in that it possibly contained some special ester.

Last edited:
prolly lots of factors in carbon deposits + FEW want to pay the cost of higher quality oils with costly esters etc!!

By now you would think there would be enough research , real life examinations , etc. to determine best readily available 5W30 synthetic oils to combat intake valve deposits which are still an issue with GDI engines . My Hyundai 2017 2.4L (non - turbo) GDI engine recommends 5W20 on the oil cap (absolutely because of CAFE) and now recommends 5W30 for this engine . I bounce between : M1 5W30 EP , Valvoline Advanced & EP 5W30 and even GSUD all in 5W30 5W30 all from my past SN+ , GF5 , D1 / Gen 2 synthetic oil stash running each no more than a 5K mile / 6 month OCI . What (if anything) do newer GF6 / SP D1 / Gen 3 synthetic 5W30 oils address with respect to GDI engines ?
HPL SuperCar. Shipped same day on my order, will be here tomorrow. You asked. 😎

PP 5w30

I say run QSFS 5w30. Add a catch can. Take the money you will save NOT buying HPL and do a IVD cleaning every 5-10,000 miles.
I like the STP one. Can do it by yourself.
That's about all you can do with a GDI only engine.....which I have too. 🙄