Best place to get replacement key fob for 2012 Accord EXL?

I finally dropped the key fob for my car (Accord in my sig) and it literally broke and shattered. Where's the best (and cheapest) place to get a replacement fob? Will this be a dealership only part? I've never had to replace one of these before. I've found oems for sale online for $80-$90. I guess you then have to go to a Honda dealership to have them program it and cut it?

Knock off for $10

Honda reman for $30

Still have to get it cut and programmed.

If the circuit board is okay you can replace just the shell.

The shell broke, and part of it flew off someplace. I've dropped it so many times that there's no telling where that happened unfortunately. I'd just pick it up and put it back in my pocket.

Knock off for $10

Honda reman for $30

Still have to get it cut and programmed.
What do dealerships typically charge to cut and program?

If the circuit board is okay you can replace just the shell.

Here it is taken apart. Whatever holds the battery in place is what flew off when I dropped it. Would that be part of the circuit board assembly or part of the shell assembly? I can’t tell.
29181B15-79F5-42B5-8F00-7314B6D64D68.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 4.35.30 AM.png

Looks like a piece on the battery cover is missing, but the board looks ok.

I'd say just buy a new case or worse case the whole unit for under $40 then maybe swap your already cut key, and circuit board into the new body?

OT and quick note: With all the weight of the keys you "might" wear out the honda key ignition sooner than without any weight or extra keys.

We're actually looking to get rid of the FOb. Batteries Plus can make the switch to a single no FOb key set up for us.

Get rid of all those other keys and junk. Put it back together and use a cover or rubber bands or anything to keep it together.

I think fob is not the correct term here. That’s a chipped key. A fob has no key, it’s just electronic.

Go to carandtruckremotes.com and see what OEM keys they have available. Their prices are a fraction of what dealers charge. Batteries+ can cut the key and program it for a lot less than the dealer will charge.

You can also buy a non-OEM key directly from Batteries+ that they program - $120. They say the programming charge is non-refundable, which is bogus, but based on a recent post here, the programming software they use charges them "per key" so I can understand why they say this. If the programming fails, they'll blame the car, not the key, obviously.

Last edited:
Get rid of all those other keys and junk. Put it back together and use a cover or rubber bands or anything to keep it together.

I think fob is not the correct term here. That’s a chipped key. A fob has no key, it’s just electronic.
Chipped key,yes👍 I really hate these chipped keys. I prefer the separate fob like my 300ZX has.

Check this place out. I tried a few options and this place is reliable. Just be aware that the fob/key may lack the carmaker logo. You can find them on eBay if you care or transfer from the old. You can go to a good local locksmith to have the key cut and if you have another remote, it is probably a simple procedure to get the new one working with the car. Look it up on YouTube for your car. It becomes a bigger problem if you don’t already have a working key available. But in the end, everyone is different.

Check this place out. I tried a few options and this place is reliable. Just be aware that the fob/key may lack the carmaker logo.
They sell OEM for many brands as well as aftermarket. I bought a replacement Infiniti fob from them and Batteries+ programmed it for $50 (now $60). I can't prove it was OEM but it has a Continenal (FCC ID) circuit board.

Well, this thing turned out to be a total piece of junk. Sending it back asap. Guess it's time to bite the bullet and go to the dealership to get one that's somewhat substantial.

Back