Best place to get replacement key fob for 2012 Accord EXL?

Well, this thing turned out to be a total piece of junk. Sending it back asap. Guess it's time to bite the bullet and go to the dealership to get one that's somewhat substantial.

What went wrong? You should be able to transfer the blade and board to the new shell and have essentially a new key.

What went wrong? You should be able to transfer the blade and board to the new shell and have essentially a new key.
Even if the board was all still intact, you wouldn't believe how cheap and fragile that generic case/fob was.

I'll swing by the Honda dealership one day next week and see if my parts counter friend still works there. He always gives me employee discount on parts.

I think fob is not the correct term here. That’s a chipped key. A fob has no key, it’s just electronic.
Vehicles with keyless entry with push start button will have a key hidden in the fob. Why? Because in the event the car battery dies, how are you gonna open the doors?

"Fob" used to mean a separate piece, probably started when aftermarket car alarms became popular/common. Many aftermarket remote-starters use a fob as well. Automakers combine everything now and yes, surprisingly to many, there's a hidden key inside their fob.

I’ve seen seeing this at Ace recently as well as Home Depot - they both use Hillman/Hy-Ko as their key vendor. They claim to be able to clone your OE keys or program them into the car. Now, they might be using Ilco/Strattec key blanks with the immobilizer pill and a “dumb” OBD-II programming device, but I’ve seen mentioned in their catalog “programmable” keys.

I’ve seen seeing this at Ace recently as well as Home Depot - they both use Hillman/Hy-Ko as their key vendor. They claim to be able to clone your OE keys or program them into the car. Now, they might be using Ilco/Strattec key blanks with the immobilizer pill and a “dumb” OBD-II programming device, but I’ve seen mentioned in their catalog “programmable” keys.
The nearby Ace store has been offering keys, fobs, and programming for a while. I suspect they're cloning them vs programming them 100% as I understand the process (licensing the software, for example) is different.

Back