Best place to buy 6L80E rebuilt transmission?

Is there a solid source on line to buy one of these rebuilt transmissions? Have a buddy that is replacing his, and the only local shops around are the A1/Aamco/etc. transmission shops that do everything, and I'm not sure he'll get anything over and above a basic rebuild. Thought there might be something better out there, maybe a place that rebuilds these exclusively, knows the failure points, and uses updated parts.

Found a couple places online that seem reasonable and they state the vehicle ECU needs re-flashed after transmission replacement. Is this a dealer only function, or something that can be accomplished with a decent bi-direction scanner like the newer Launch X431 series?

I would do a GM reman if it was in my shop. On a 6L transmission, the transmission control module is integral to the transmission and comes blank. I do a few of these a month for other shops. Its a simple task for any shop that does programming. It is not a scan tool function, it is a programming function with SPS2 and an appropriate interface. I use an MDI2 which is the factory interface

This is one that my friend found.

I know nothing about them, but if marketing is anything to go by (I'm not a fan of that approach), it's probably a step above the A1/Aamco in-house rebuilds.

Some of the reason he's entertaining an online order is that it's a daily driver. Have transmission shipped -> replace trans over a weekend -> send core back. Truck down for a minimal amount of time. Maybe a day or two down for GM dealer programming, but it is what it is. Cost is a concern.

The local transmission shops were anywhere from $4.5K - 5K to rebuild and replace the transmission. But I'm not convinced that's going to yield a transmission that will last much longer than the transmission shop warranty, but I could be wrong.

Idk. Gm has a pretty good gig with there in house rebuilt transmissions. I believe they get all the latest updates plus the warranty is good at any gm dealer if problems arise. Dad has a gm rebuilt engine put in his 88 k2500. It was using oil and smoking. Turns out someone didnt install valve seals on one half of the engine. Gm dealer took care of everything under warranty. He even got a new gm truck as a loaner.

The local transmission shops were anywhere from $4.5K - 5K to rebuild and replace the transmission. But I'm not convinced that's going to yield a transmission that will last much longer than the transmission shop warranty, but I could be wrong.

That's about right.....These are notorious for the Converter failing thus sending massive amounts of fine Steel & Aluminum shrapnel through the unit. Once you buy a new Pump Body, Stator, Pump kit, Shift kit, Master overhaul kit, TECHM (TCM), Billet Front Converter, Program it with SPS2 ($45), Tune it with HPtuners ($100) AND replace the Radiator & auxiliary cooler because the coolers are filled with metal......There isn't much wiggle room.

The only way to do it much cheaper is to cut corners.

That's about right.....These are notorious for the Converter failing thus sending massive amounts of fine Steel & Aluminum shrapnel through the unit. Once you buy a new Pump Body, Stator, Pump kit, Shift kit, Master overhaul kit, TECHM (TCM), Billet Front Converter, Program it with SPS2 ($45), Tune it with HPtuners ($100) AND replace the Radiator & auxiliary cooler because the coolers are filled with metal......There isn't much wiggle room.

The only way to do it much cheaper is to cut corners.

That's what was diagnosed was a failed converter. The big question is will the local transmission shop(s) do these things, or do the bare minimum and pocket the rest? I suspect the latter, there was no mention of radiator, aux cooler, or upgraded parts.

Hence the desire to order one online from a reputable vendor and do the labor.

Right now the truck still runs / drives, just with a bad shudder at lower RPM when under load in a higher gear. Switching to tow mode or manipulating the gears manually you can make the problem disappear if you're careful. That said, it's definitely a loudly ticking time bomb at this point.

I would do a GM reman if it was in my shop. On a 6L transmission, the transmission control module is integral to the transmission and comes blank. I do a few of these a month for other shops. Its a simple task for any shop that does programming. It is not a scan tool function, it is a programming function with SPS2 and an appropriate interface. I use an MDI2 which is the factory interface
Can this be done by ourselves with a laptop? In the install guide for the transmission is shows the programming requirements as:

"Pass-thru J2534-compliant vehicle reflash hardware such as CarDAQ-Plus or equivalent: http://www.drewtech.com/products/cardaqplus.html
• GM / AC Delco Service reprogramming subscription
• Hi-speed internet connection
• PC with Windows 7 / USB port / sufficient USB cabling to reach between PC and vehicle"

I'll have to look more into the J2534- reflash hardware, but having the rest available is no issue.

Can you elaborate how their [GM] subscription works to obtain the latest vehicle software, as well as cost associated with this?

Lastly, he wants to eliminate MDS / cylinder deactivation. Is this something that can only be done with HP Tuners, or is there another cost effective way to accomplish this. He doesn't want the OBD-II dongle that has to stay plugged in all the time, so looking for a way to program this out of the ECU if possible. What would it cost to do this with HP Tuners?

Appreciate the help!

Can this be done by ourselves with a laptop? In the install guide for the transmission is shows the programming requirements as:

"Pass-thru J2534-compliant vehicle reflash hardware such as CarDAQ-Plus or equivalent: http://www.drewtech.com/products/cardaqplus.html
• PC with Windows 7 / USB port / sufficient USB cabling to reach between PC and vehicle"

I'll have to look more into the J2534- reflash hardware, but having the rest available is no issue.

Can you elaborate how their [GM] subscription works to obtain the latest vehicle software, as well as cost associated with this?

Lastly, he wants to eliminate MDS / cylinder deactivation. Is this something that can only be done with HP Tuners, or is there another cost effective way to accomplish this. He doesn't want the OBD-II dongle that has to stay plugged in all the time, so looking for a way to program this out of the ECU if possible. What would it cost to do this with HP Tuners?

Appreciate the help!
Drewtech RAP might be able to do it for you....remotely:

Appreciate the help!
I dont do DOD deletes so I cant help with that. As far as programming a GM product goes, the current software package is SPS2 accessed through Techline Connect. www.acdelcotds.com is the website, create an account, but a reprogramming subscription which grants access to that VIN for 2 years, download and install Techline Connect (there is a how to video) and you are ready to go. You also need a stable power supply for programming, not a battery charger. I use a Midtronics PSC-550 when I am on the road because of portability. Keith Perkins at L1 training has lots of info on his website about programming https://www.l1training.com/

Appreciate the help!

I use a Windows 10 (Home) desktop, Was using a Windows 10 laptop before it went T.U.
Use a Autel MaxiFlash Elite J2534, SPS2 has the wrapper for it & It's been flawless. I see used ones on Ebay for @$500.

Both HP-Tuners & EFI Live can disable the AFM. Right now the HP-Tuners MPVI3 is @$400 with no included credits. 2016 & down needs 2 credits which is $100, '17-'18 needs 4 credits which is $200.

MPVI3 interfaces are 2 weeks out & lead time could get worse at anytime! 6 months ago, Before the MPVI3 came out.....MPVI2's were impossible to get because there was a shortage of a chip used to make them.

I offer bench programming & tuning services on E38 ECM-T43 TCM combinations, But I would need the ECM & the TCM shipped to me & it costs $300 plus shipping.

Not that I'm disagreeing with Tim about the need for a stable power supply, Because if you do enough programming.....You will eventually brick a module from low/unstable voltage.

But when it comes to GM trucks up to 2016......Make sure the battery in the truck is fully charged & in good shape. And have a second battery fully charged & in good shape (Preferably a 1000cca), Connect them in parallel with a HD set of jumper cables. This will get you through programming a T43 TCM with headroom to spare.

I'll look into the programming more and consider that vs getting the truck to a dealer. Overall I think the price between buying equipment to program, and having truck towed & paying dealer programming fee would be a wash. The nearest dealer is a good distance away.

Regarding the transmission cooler, the transmission company requires the "plate cooler" to be replaced to preserve the warranty. AFAIK, this truck has a cooler built into the radiator, and likely (I have to check RPO codes) an auxiliary cooler that appears to be built into the A/C condenser as one unit. Does this sound right? If that's the case, should both the radiator and condenser be replaced, or is it possible to flush one or the other or both? How about the cooler lines? I don't see anything there that would prevent flushing and reusing those.

The lines can be flushed but both coolers need replaced.

You would need a heated flush machine to even have a shot at flushing the coolers & they run anywhere from $4000 to $6000.
I assumed any sort of flushing of coolers was something we'd have to shop out to someone with the right equipment. I went ahead and ordered a condenser/trans cooler, Amazon had a good price on an OEM AC Delco unit.

I warned my buddy that a new radiator was probably in cards, but he wants to see what we find when we drop the pan and decide. I saw brown fluid on the dipstick (otherwise unremarkable), but given the amount of time he's been driving it with the failing TC, I think a new radiator is a given.
I would go to the local Chevy dealer if it were me.
Hell, I don't learn anything that way-- totally uninteresting watching a tow truck drive the truck away and have a dealer do all the work. This stuff (computers and vehicles) is in my blood. And I have a nice size personal shop now; acquiring tools might come in handy, especially if someone else foots the bill. Even if he keeps it (the MDI compatible adapter), I can borrow it.
Not that I'm disagreeing with Tim about the need for a stable power supply, Because if you do enough programming.....You will eventually brick a module from low/unstable voltage.

But when it comes to GM trucks up to 2016......Make sure the battery in the truck is fully charged & in good shape. And have a second battery fully charged & in good shape (Preferably a 1000cca), Connect them in parallel with a HD set of jumper cables. This will get you through programming a T43 TCM with headroom to spare.
I'll use that parallel battery approach. I have a new group 31 size battery I can connect with the truck battery.

Turns out we have a couple weeks to get this done. If we have to order parts along the way or if there's any surprises it's not the end of the world.

GM really makes a mess of these with umpteen part options for otherwise simple parts.

I figured out the radiator type by the RPO codes, this truck doesn't have the NHT option (enhanced towing), so that helped narrow that one down. It appears to have four transmission lines going to the radiator, two on each side tank. I believe the NHT version uses one side of the radiator for engine oil cooling, so there's only two trans hoses going to radiator, not sure what other differences there are between the two.

What I'm stuck on is the cooler hoses. We'll go ahead and replace those, it appears all are leaking/oozing a little fluid in places. I've found one set of hoses which seems to be the correct part-- AC Delco 23370657. But that's only one set of lines, the transmission on this has a pair on each side of the trans. I can't find other set of lines to purchase. This truck has the KNP option code, which is heavy duty transmission cooler. Not sure what that entails, the only coolers on this truck are the ones integrated into A/C condensor and radiator.

Can anyone help with this?

This could get dicey without a year & VIN.....But I'll give it a shot.

Left auxiliary cooler inlet pipe from radiator tank......23115736
Right auxiliary cooler outlet pipe, Connects auxiliary cooler to main line set......84183292
Main line set (KNP)......23370657

I think you're confusing the engine oil cooler lines with trans cooler lines with the "A pair on each side" comment? And the engine oil cooler lines are notorious for leaking

Back