best over the counter oil any proof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so ive been using synthetic since i bought my car. i love synthetic oil. its always been one over the counter though either mobil1, valvoline, penzoil platinum, once in a blue moon supertech full syn.

how do you know whats the best out of them? i know products like royal,ams,schaeffers,lucas are better but like for what i listed they all claim to be the best? penzoil claims in ads to have destroyed mobil1 in tests? mobil1 has a huge positive track record and fan base. whos the best anyone know? and if it matters i prefer whatever will keep the engine cleanest.

Oil specifications listed on the bottle are all you need to worry about. Best is subjective.

Many companies formulate towards one property and tout that property, but neglect to mention what was given up to get that result. The more specifications an oil meets, the better "overall" quality.

Everyone has an opinion on what is best for their vehicle. No oil is the best for every vehicle or situation, so this is going to be impossible to answer for you. You named several of my favorite brands for different uses.

Oil change interval, type of driving or service, cost per mile, discounted prices (sales), personal preference, perceived quality or value...all these things and more will ultimately determine for you YOUR best oil or synthetic oil.

when you say towards one property do you mean lets say penzoil maybe pushes the whole clean engine thing but maybe you lose some protection in the process that kinda idea? my old mechanic use to swear by a 5w-40 diesel oil for regula cars saying its amazing for keeping motors clean and protected.

ok so what if i reword the question like this, if you care about keeping the motor as clean as [censored] and of course keeping up on oil change intervals and filters do you feel as of right now its possible penzoil platinum would be the best for this objective?

Last edited:
sorry did a search shoulda searched first seems like fora (cheaper in price) oil pp is probably the best due to cost and from what i can see proof? again i know its still a group ||| but from what i see from peoples opinions its a very good oil. i change it every 4500k where in the search i saw people going 7-9k i thoguht it was a 6k oil.

Originally Posted By: buster
The more specifications an oil meets, the better "overall" quality.

That might be the most logical statement I've ever read on this website.

Surely the experts will be along shortly to dispute it.

The best oil would be any top of the line HDEO dino which probably would out perform any pcmo syn oil. Syn base HDEO possibly could be even better. Why? because it protects engines that cost more than most what of our cars cost.

No such thing as "best". Application? Honda 2.3L? BB Chevy rail with 300HP nitrous shot? KZ1000turbo KAWI Litrebike? What? In general: Mobil M1 Racing 4T. HDEO? mixed fleet Rotella 5-40. Best of the best: Fuchs Silkolene PRO-S.
SM oils HA!, no Best there, just variations on mediocre.

to OP: are you starting to see what I was saying? State your application, oci (4500 miles you said) type of service such as short trips or longer interstate trips, and any other relevant info, and then you will get many different "best oil" recommendations from all of us!

I am afraid we have a great lack of objective, real world testing. You can infer things from 4 ball tests, UOA's, etc, but as far as good controlled studies available to the public, I have never seen any.

Well lets see:
Amsoil says its best
Pennzoil says its best
Castrol says its best
Valvoline says its best
Dunno!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The best oil would be any top of the line HDEO dino which probably would out perform any pcmo syn oil. Syn base HDEO possibly could be even better. Why? because it protects engines that cost more than most what of our cars cost.

This is pretty much the conclusion I've come to as well. Many commercial diesel engines get run at near maximum power for many more hours than a normal car. There are also fleet managers whose job is to find the best oil so if any HDEO is under performing it doesn't last long in the market... Plus HDEO aren't limited to what additives they can use as much as PCMO is.
Finally its cheap too, Rotella T 15W40 is often on sale for 2.50/L and 5W40 Rotella tends to be the cheapest synthetic available too.

I just get which ever SOPUS product is cheapest.

5W-30 Pennzoil or Quaker State in synthetic form. Done. Forget the rest....

OK now if you have a TDI or other strange concoction of a motor than you need something else.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
For the money & quality............Pennzoil Platinum.

I said it............

+1

Glad you got that out there!!!!!!

It's all good though.

Buy what you believe in!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back