best over the counter oil any proof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it comes down to following:

Type of Vehicle
Style of Driving
Type of Vehicle Usage
Climatic Environmental Conditions

After so many many years of playing around and trying so many things, I have these days resigned with Quaker State Full Synthetic Horse Power (now called Ultimate Durability)

and GC in my Bimmer!

Does not matter what oil I have used, I always end up doing an OC by about 9k miles, using the longest oil filter I can get by with...

Dollar to Dollar it just does not make sense to spend anything more than $25 - $28 US for a jug of 5L bottle.

I would say from purely personal experience and $ point of view

QS Horse Power
Valvoline SynPower
Pennzoil Platinum

Castrol
Mobil
Amsoil
Red Line
Shell

All are good oils as well.

Well, years ago you went from passcar oils that had good lubricity and good, robust additisation to presently having better deposit and sludge control and reduced exap loss but with weak EP additisation. So you shouldn't compare oils 10+ years ago to today on equal footing. Try running ASIAN cars with near skirtless pistons and a OHC timinmg chain and flat tappets and VVT and DI and E10 fuel and 1.2HP/cuin all at once and see how the oil works - Marginally to poor for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
31 years using M1 oils with many high mileage engines and never a problem.

Thats good to know.
grin2.gif
half the time i cant make up my mind what to use either,so no more stashes i`ll just use what i feel like trying/using.Havnt tried Synpower yet,so that`ll be next on my list to try out.

Last edited:
Use what's specified in your owner's manual. Dino or Synth is really in the air. Synth if your in an extreme heat/cold climate, or have severe winters and want longer OCI's. Dino for the good 4-5k OCI's. Both are fine, and any brand that meets your car's specs is fine.

I use Pennzoil Platinum, Quakerstate HP and Valvoline Synpower.

Synpower stash is gone, my PP stash is still 2 5qt jugs and I have 1 5qt jug of QSHP. After that unless there is another super sale I'm going PYB, Motorcraft or Valvoline Whitebottle.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Best? What's "best"???

Before ANYONE asks a question like this again, I think we may have to modify the rules to require that anyone who asks such a question must DEFINE what "best" means to them. "Best" for someone who drives an I-4 Accord 7-8 miles a day to and from work, never warming it up WILL be very different that the "best" for a salesman who logs a couple thousand miles per week in a pushrod GM V-6.

On the purely "value oriented" side of the equation, I've noticed that my local WM has 5 qt jugs of PP priced at $20. If you have any arguable need for synthetic, or just "have to" use a syn, this would seem to be an overwhelmingly "best" value.

Last edited:
I use Valvoline VR1 oil in my modified, flat tappet cam 'vette engine because of the increased ZDDP over other over the counter oils. OCI is 3000 miles or less.

My daily drivers, 2004 Subaru and 1998 Ford Ranger, get Castrol GTX. Both with OCI of 3000 miles.

Quite satisfied with both oils.

Originally Posted By: glen242
I use Valvoline VR1 oil in my modified, flat tappet cam 'vette engine because of the increased ZDDP over other over the counter oils. OCI is 3000 miles or less.

My daily drivers, 2004 Subaru and 1998 Ford Ranger, get Castrol GTX. Both with OCI of 3000 miles.

Quite satisfied with both oils.

What about using Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil that has 1600 ppm of zinc?

I'm not shure VR-1 actually has a lot of Z.

If you are looking for a thin oil, the A5 spec is essentially the best standard, Corvette spec too. Choosing between the A5 oils is a bit of hair-splitting. However, not every synth oil makes A5, many only muster an A1 rating, essentially a semi-synth spec in Europe. GM LL-025A, the "Opel Spec", is a very high spec as well.

imo, shop by price and needs. Not every car needs synth oil to go 5-6k.

Originally Posted By: sambojoho
This one is easy:

Whatever is on sale!
+1

There are lots of good deals regularly appearing on the special promotions forum. Chances are that if you keep an eye on that forum you'll never pay much more than $2/qt for synthetic oil.

Right now you can get $10 off a 5 qt bottle of M1 which usually sells for $22 at WM, so for the time being I would go with that.

Best oil, is controversial, as well as opinion based. How I found the best oil, was reading here on BITOG, then forming my own opinions. What I feel is best means nothing to anyone else, and could probably start a small war.

My three favorites (unfortunately not all OTC oils), in random order, Pennzoil, Amsoil, and Schaeffers. These are strictly based on my reading BITOG, please also note I have only tried Schaeffers #132 additive as of today, but I am confident from my reading here that it would be a favorite oil if I used it. JMO

better the noack better the oil? well look at the web page of amsoil,comparsion tests 10-30wt. gtx has a noack of 6.89 alot better than the others along with valvoline, pp,mobil one makes you look at the logic of using anything else than gtx eh?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back