Best OTC oil for 6k-8k intervals in my 5.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would try the M1 10w30 and if you want to make it a bit thicker in the summer just add about 1/2 quart of 15W50; same price and same availability. Can't beat that.

Pedro

offtopic.gif
offtopic.gif
offtopic.gif
offtopic.gif
offtopic.gif

Go Find a parts store like advanced auto.. Fine one that has a girl that runs counter.. Date her so you get her discount = 2$/qt for mobil 1 0w40
smile.gif

Or something like that
smile.gif

M1 truck and suv isnt out here yet. Only more to the west.
I ran chevron 5-30 for 3 oci's then went to m1 (5w30)for longer drains only 5k but my ranger seems to be hard on oil. The castrol gtx I used when walmart was out of chevron, came out really BLACK at 1800 miles. Im on my first run with M1 0w40, I'd like to use the M1 T/Suv oil but its not available yet.. and I hear that when it is.. I can only get it for 4.25/qt
vs 2/qt for 0w40... so my choice is clear.. While I might run one or 2 oci with the relabeled Delvac 1... I think my truck will be getting M1 0w40 for a loooong time

Anyway, I think the m1 0w40 is much superior to the 5w30... at least in my 4.0 ranger its WAY quieter(among other things)

Rand

[ March 11, 2004, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Rand ]

quote:

I thought I was daring going to 4500 or so on a high quality dino with 80% highway use in the summer! LOL

novadude,

My engine is the same as yours, a 1995 302. This car has had 10,000 km (6,200 mile) oil change intervals since new, on 15W-40, as per the owners manual.

The car is now at 225,000 k's (140,000 miles) and has had nothing but Castrol GTX.

So I feel you could go 6,000 miles OCI on a good dino. Been done before.

Or you could fit one of those Fumoto valves, and make your more frequent OC's less time consuming.

Dave

[ March 11, 2004, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

I've got enough GC for one more change on my Toyota and I'll look around a little bit then. The closest local stores still have the oldest stuff and the stores farther way had a mix of old US and current at the time GC last time I looked. Unless I see some incredible UOA's with it the next 2 intervals I'll probably not bother with it anymore. It just seems silly to me to drive all over Illinois just to find 6 1/2 quarts of oil...

Autozone will order it for you . It's as easy as that although it does take 1 week and you have to prepay . Might even stock up and buy a years worth .

I repeat
smile.gif
Autozone will order that oil in for a customer that asks and is willing to prepay ... no more driving around for those that can wait a week .
smile.gif

Will it outperform Mobils 0w-40 Supersyn ? Doubt it if the engine can nicely run a 14 cSt 40wt . That Mobil 0w-40 is some goooood stuff
wink.gif

This is an Ok idea, but what do you tell them to order? The SKU's and descriptions are identical on all the 0W-30 versions. I found this out when I returned a quart of the made in USA stuff to get a quart of GC. They guy kept saying "why do you need to exchange this? These are the same thing..."

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
I located some "holy grail" GC tonight. IF Patman's 6.2k anaysis looks good, I may go back and buy some.
smile.gif

I should have those results by Tuesday night hopefully. I'm changing the oil this afternoon (gonna try out my new Rhino Ramps-thanks again Al!) and I'm going to drop the sample off directly at the lab on Monday morning so if they aren't super busy it's possible they might even finish it by Monday night (but most likely it'll be Tuesday)

Rhino ramps rock for oil changes!

I live in a townhouse complex (no garage) and it is so much easier to drag the lightweight rhino ramps up from the basement instead of the floor jack and stands.

I also live in a townhouse, so the rhino ramps are a blessing there too since they take up less space in my tiny garage. I just hope my parents will store my clunky old ramps at their house until the summer, then I'll unload them at a garage sale for $5.
smile.gif

My oil is draining right now and those rhino ramps were so easy to use! With the old ramps it would take me a couple of trys to get up them, but with these ones it was one shot and up you go. Nice!

My 6200 mile sample is now sitting safely in it's bottle! So we'll see how GC 0w30 handles 6200 miles of cold weather in a hard driven LT1 Firebird. I especially drove the snot out of it today, I did about 20-25 full throttle blasts today, including one stoplight race against another LT1 f-body from 0-75mph (I won by 2 or 3 car lengths)
smile.gif

That's what I want to see! My '95 5.0 sees full throttle at least once per day, and I use my car daily. If GC works well in a gen II Chevy, I expect results will be similar in a 302 Ford.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
That's what I want to see! My '95 5.0 sees full throttle at least once per day, and I use my car daily. If GC works well in a gen II Chevy, I expect results will be similar in a 302 Ford.
smile.gif

You're probably right, I think both engines are similar enough that an oil which works well in one would also work well in the other. I wish I had done UOAs on both of my 5.0s, especially when I ran Amsoil 10w40 in one of them, or when I ran 10w30 Mobil 1 in the other one (with a Paxton supercharger on it too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back