Best Ontario deal; GC , Redline or M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GC @ Walmart is $7.58/l
M1 5&10w30 5.4 litre for $29.99. @ Cdn Tire
Redline 5&10w30 on special for $8.39/qt. @ Cdn Tire in Oakville (Speers & Kerr)
The Cdn Tire sale ends today.
I think the best deal is Redline and I have stocked up. Does everyone agree?
By the way this is my first post.

I haven't been able to find the XD-3 0W-30 yet. All the Esso stations I've been to on Ontario only carry the 15W-40. And that, I'm not going to put into my Intrepid.

Phil

I forgot to ask : how can you identify containers of German Castrol? I only see Castrol GTX and Castrol Syntec in Canadian Tire. Should I be looking elswhere, or am I seeing it but just not recognizing it. Before I found this Forum 2 weeks ago, I didn't even there was such a things as GC.

Thanks gents.....Phil

Triple_Se7en you're right! But only in a bulk purchase from NOCO in TO to the best of my knowledge. The local ESSO Gas Station has it but it's no deal.
Nevertheless it is a heavy 30wt oil like GC which begs the question as to why Patman is so keen on GC when XD-3 is almost half the price?

Va3ux,GC is commonly available at WalMart, some Cdn Tire stores and PartSource stores. All the Syntec 0W30 oil is GC, but most of what remains is gold not green.
IMO Mobil 1 5W30 is probabily a better winter choice since it is lighter and cheaper; at $6.00 and change at Walmart. I think PartSource still have the same $29.99 for 5.4 litres deal that Cdn Tire had.

quote:

GC @ Walmart is $7.58/l
M1 5&10w30 5.4 litre for $29.99. @ Cdn Tire
Redline 5&10w30 on special for $8.39/qt. @ Cdn Tire in Oakville (Speers & Kerr)
The Cdn Tire sale ends today.
I think the best deal is Redline and I have stocked up. Does everyone agree?
By the way this is my first post.

I picked up the Mobil 1 5w30 last weekend.
4.4 litre plus the bonus 1 litre for $29.99
Thats the best Canadian Tire has had in a while.

Their house brand of synthetic "Formula 1 100% synthetic" is apparently excellent stuff. But it doesn't offer much price advantage over the M1.
I believe the regular price on that is close to 30 bucks for a 4.o litre jug.

That is an awesome price for Redline! Before CT started carrying it on their shelves, they used to be able to order it through their Keystone catalog at a whopping price of $20 per liter!!! If you think that is bad, Performance Improvements wanted $24 per liter! Sheesh!

The XD-3 is a great deal. Last time I bought it worked out to just over $4 a litre. I grabbed 16 litres of 0w30 for my Grand Caravan and 16 litres of 0w40 for my Beetle. I use this stuff year round. Used to use GC, but the price of the XD-3 is too good.

Most recently, I have bought the Esso XD-3 0w40 full syn in 4litre jug at WallyWorld for $21.36 CDN

At current conversion rates, this is $18.25 US for 4.23 US quarts or $4.31 USD per US Quart. How does that sound? The 15w40 Dino HDEO is only a little more than half that cost (around $12 CDN for 4 litres) and a really nice oil too.

I am pretty sure that the last pre Katerina price I paid for the 0w40 oil was about 15% less, something in the $18 CDN range.

Does anyone know how much the bulk oil places sell it for? I emailed Noco in Toronto which is apparently the biggest bulk dealer in the area, but never heard back. I hate using the telephone but I tried calling and got a voicemail automated system. They are a 30 minute drive across city traffic for me but I may be around the corner from them Monday so maybe i will drop in.

I tried to find the bulk dealer in Newmarket that was listed on the Esso website but it must have moved.

Anyhow not to get too off topic but my point here is that I can get this oil at any local wallyworld for a pretty decent price, but my efforts to find a bulkdealer that is open or replies to my inquiries has come to naught.

jaj,

Sorry for the delay in replying; I lost the thread since it was moved.
Anyway, yes i have a '94 Caterham HPC. It has the 2 litre Vauxhall XE Motor (DOHC 16V 180hp). Actually I took it out for what is likely a final run yesterday before putting away for the winter.
If I lived in Vancouver (you lucky guy) I could drive it year round; it is the salt I'm adverse to.

Cheers

nobadges

I assumed the CT house brand synthetic was very likely just a lowly Group III oil inwhich case it is no deal. I think Imperial Oil (ESSO) is the supplier; atleast they used to be. There Gas is Petro Canada at present so I don't know for sure. I've used their 5W50 in my Porsche 928 in the past and it performed fine. But as you say if you can pick up a true synthetic like M1 for not much more why bother on an unknown quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back