Best Oil, Vintage Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I belong to a club for older British cars, the cars are manly used weekends during the summer, so there are often long intervals between starts, being British some also tend to leak oil, so thin Synthetics are not widely used, most of us run a standard 20w-50.
What would be the best oil to use? Seems to me modern SL formulations may not be optimal, and it has been suggested that Rottla might be a better choice.
I have a lot of faith in you Guys.
What does 'Dino' mean?

I currently use a hdeo 15w40 in my 67 Porsche 912 - 4 cylinder. Prior to the rebuild, I was using one of the high-mileage oils, perhaps 20w50, and that helped with some of the leakage.

Given the age of the engines and the use of old fashioned seal materials that are probably "off the radar screen" for modern motor oil formulators, I would avoid all synthetics.

Do the engines date from the days of single weight oils? If so, something like single weight Rotella T would probably be suitable. Otherwise, 15-40 would be a good choice.

And "dino" oil means any non-synthetic oil. It is referred to as "dino" oil as it is refined from the natural, pumped out of the ground crude oil, that supposedly is formed from the carcasses of dinosaurs (of course, it is not).

Penrite blend specific oils for older exotic and not so exotic cars and bikes.
They are available in the US. Go here for the UK/US product list.

Rick.

Looking at the Penrite 20w-50, Flash point 190, VI 119, Ash 1.12
I know very little about motor oil, but I don't find those #s inspireing

Right now I use Penzoil 20w-50 Pure Base, which is SL rated, I just wonder if the API ratings are moving too far away from what is best for my car and it's use.

No the oil will just run cleaner and hold up better than the stuff that was available back then. I use Shell Rotella T in my old Massy tractor and in my '65 Chevy pick-up and it is SL rated.

Oils have improved a lot. Any HDEO would be a good choice to me considering the additive package. HDEOs handle rich running, blow-by, or extended non-use best. That's what you need. Re: 20w-50, I'd rather have a leak than increased wear at startup. If you check, my guess is bearing clearances are same or even smaller than Chevy's, Toyotas, whatever.

I use Delo 15w-40 in my Range Rover, a high volume, low pressure design. It performs close to the 10w-40 spec'd by LR.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I still have it stuck in my head that these engins require a 20-50. they tend to run hot (although oil pan temps seldom go over 190f) and I feel a thicker oil might hang in there better on a cold start up.
But then I come here to be educated
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back