best oil to use in an oil burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I did the piston soaks on my Saturn it did help a little but it still uses 5w30 at a quick amount. What is the best weight and brand of oil to slow it down. I needs to be good enough oil to work in a Missouri winter. Any help is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
5w-40 might help a little bit, but just feed it cheap (Supertech comes to mind) 5w-30 otherwise.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I used mmo 2times for 15hours each

Thats not a strong enough solvent. The oil rings get oil that is really baked in hard. mmo is a good slow solvent for use in oil , but not enough to free really stuck rings in a saturn. Try chemtool b-12 or some sort of carb cleaner, use mmo after the soak to lube the cyl walls and change the oil immediatly after.

I tried sea foam when I bought it. Nothing has helped . Well the mmo helped but.it.still uses oil. In just looking for a good oil that won't burn off as much.

You are just going to have to do some experimenting. I would recommend MaxLife first, give it a couple of OCI's to start working. If that doesn't try M1 HM. If you are not seeing any real change just use a cheaper oil like Supertech or go up to thicker conventional oil.

Can you get away with using 10w30? Rotella 10w30 is an alternative.

Temperatures don't really go below 30 Fahrenheit in Missouri, do they? Why not a 10w40 ? Or does the manual advice against a 40 weight?

Last edited:
You didn't try B12 or the Delco stuff as suggested. So you've essentially just made a partial effort. You are subsequently experiencing the results of that effort.

Please, try with a REAL solvent (none of the things you have tried are real solvents BTW) and THEN see where you are at.

Ok listen I'm not doing anymore piston soak [censored]. They have absolutely no carbon on them. It has gotten better so it did work. I believe don of my issue is valve seals. If I step on the gas just after starting it up after it sat awhile it will smoke a little not much but some it is gray smoke. When I used 15w40 it didn't do that at all. It's got 190k on it I expect it to use some oil just not how it was. I still need to change the oil which is why I'm asking the best weight and brand to use. I'm thinking of using oreilly synthetic. Temperatures here in winter are usually 30 but sometimes are down to -10 at night. It gets pretty [censored] cold sometimes. And everyone who keeps saying do more soaks I'm not doing more I know tons of people and people who are on Saturn fans that swear by the use of mmo for piston soaks. And regardless of any opinion it has worked enough to be proven to work. Other things may work but I'm not doing it anymore .

If your piston rings are worn out, you're gonna need a thicker film on the cylinder walls
to control oil consumption. If you say the 15W-40 is working for you, why not use that?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
You didn't try B12 or the Delco stuff as suggested. So you've essentially just made a partial effort. You are subsequently experiencing the results of that effort.

Please, try with a REAL solvent (none of the things you have tried are real solvents BTW) and THEN see where you are at.

+1 Why I mentioned the other post. Its relevant to see what you did and didn't want to do. So a day after a soak, and an unwillingness to wait 3k for HM oil to do its thing, you want action. You may as well try Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabalizer You will know right away if a coating of thick goo rather than cleaning is going to help. But I wouldn't use that stuff along with a really thick oil. Just pour it in with what you have and check in a couple days. They sell the stuff everywhere cheap. Note the link, lol.

Yea I do roger because I asked a specific question every time I post a thread its the same thing do this do that. I just want to know what I asked. And mmo does work its worked for tons of people so to say it won't work would mean that they need educate themselves a little more on the product and people using it.

At this point, use whatever works.

You mentioned 15W-40 helps, so use that. Modern 15W-40's work pretty good in moderate cold, so I'm imagine it will work fine in the winter. If you're really worried about cold weather starting, try a 5W-40 for the winter.

Castrol GTX HM boasts it has the 'lowest burnoff' of any HM oil, so I'd also maybe try Castrol HM 10W-40.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
High Mileage 5w-30 perhaps Supertech.

or Quaker State HM 5w30. It is about the same price as SuperTech and personally I think it is a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back