Best oil to quiet down kia 3.5L v6 at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2013 sorento and it makes the noise at startup that so many folks talk about. What have been your experiences with different oils and which ones work best at quieting it at startup and providing optimal startup protection. It currently has gulfpride advanced fuel efficiency syn blend 5w20 in it. Thanks

PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB PYB

Yes, OE oil filters are best for that application. Which filter is in there now? As far as oil goes I agree with trying PYB/QSGB along with an OE oil filter

Originally Posted By: Alltherage
We have a 2013 sorento and it makes the noise at startup that so many folks talk about. What have been your experiences with different oils and which ones work best at quieting it at startup and providing optimal startup protection. It currently has gulfpride advanced fuel efficiency syn blend 5w20 in it. Thanks

I asked you in the oil filter forum, what brand filter was on the car when this startup noise started?

It has basically always done it. 14k on it. The stealership changed it a couple times and the last time it was done at one of their used car subsidiaries. I assume it got oem at the stealership but don't know about the latest time. It's due for a change very soon

Most smooth/quiet oil I`ve ever experienced it GTX (and I`ve tried out ALOT of different oils in different engines).

The diesel sounds come from the fuel pump and injectors, i've been told. I went up one grade with the 2.4 and swore it was quieter....for about 800 miles. Now i'm used to it and kinda like the muffled diesel sound.

Last edited:
It's not terrible and only on cold startup for a couple seconds. Common issue according to Internet and the mechanics at the dealer

Originally Posted By: Alltherage
It's not terrible and only on cold startup for a couple seconds. Common issue according to Internet and the mechanics at the dealer

Agreed

Ours has that engine but doesn't really do it. It is not especially quiet running but it's not noisy either, I guess we got a good one. Currently running Castrol synblend Dexos 5w30 in it and it works well, but the quietest oil I've had in it was gold bottle Edge.

Had QSGB in it when we bought it, that ran well too.

From my research, the startup knock is because the filter is on top of the engine and it drains out of it when not running. They recommend the oem because it has a check valve that does a better job at preventing that. I was planning to go full syn but it only gets driven 1k max per month. Would a conv be better at providing lubrication at cold start? Would the conv stick to the metal parts better than the syn after it is shut down? I've also heard that the lambda engines have lash and the noise relates to that. The filter story seems rather prevalent and the dealer explained it that way also.

We run Gulfpride Advanced Fuel Efficient 5w30 as our bulk oil. That Hyundai 3.5 Lambda is always going to be somewhat noisy on start-up. I am glad that Hyundai has replaced it with a new 3.3 liter variant.
I find that the Gulfpride AFE 5w30 has been a very quiet oil, not only in Hyundai's, but also in my own vehicles. I love it.
As far as filters go, the OEM is a Mahle filter. Mahle is stamped right on the end caps. Good filters. You will not find a cartridge filter as good as this one for the vehicle.

Last edited:
my Sisters 2011 sorrento 3.5 with 28,000 miles sounds like a diesel when started cold and also when warm the oil light stays on for up to 4 seconds sometimes which is a problem some people have with them. No oil pressure is BAD but Kia says its normal which it is not but she returns the lease in December so its their problem she really likes the sorrento it is much faster than any of her other suvs and gas mileage is good also Some say 5w30 makes it run quieter but i dont know and even if she buys it back after the lease she will still have the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. Kia and Hyundai does make a nice car not cheap anymore but nice still the same.

I have found QSGB to be nice and quite in my kia (different engine), I second the oem oil filter. If i didnt have 7 jugs of VGB (ML nexgen
wink.gif
) I got for $5 from autozone I would be running QSGB only in mine, dino or not.

Last edited:
My wife's 2011 Santa Fe with the 3.5 V6 is pretty quiet at start up(36K total miles)... I have come to the belief that to many owners of this engine dropped the factory fill very early and I think that has something to do with some extreme start up sounds. It killed me to wait but I did the first OCI at 3K and it is quiet at start up. I do now run mostly syn oils... I also think that M1 oils are very loud in this engine. I went away from mobil 1 EP 15K miles ago and now use either Ultra or QS and do 5K OCI's.

Some brands of oil damp noises better than other brands but offer equal engine protection.

Run 5W-30 in the summer, and maybe even in the winter if your owner's manual allows it.

Kia's money is behind the engine for 100,000 miles (unless you bought used). Don't worry about the noise.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
QSGB all the way, Kia/Hyundai motors love the stuff.

Like cat-nip for an American Short-Hair?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back