Best Oil to add for topping off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 06 lucerne(18,000k) uses about 28-30 oz oil every 3100 miles/4 months or so. I understand that is supposed to be normal operating conditions for these cars. My question is when should I top off when low. should I top off at 1/2 qt down or wait till a qt down. I plan on then running the miles out to around 4500k before another oil change. And which of my oils should I use. I presently have 5w-30 kendall gt1 syn blend in the car.

My oil stash includes both cases of 5w-30 and 10w-30, of Napa Full Syn, Valvoline Maxlife, Castrol Syntec Blend,and Valvoline Conv. WB.

I change the oil in my other two cars, why I have the stash, but can't get under the buick so I let firestone do it for less then 14.00 per oil change, and I just have to drive there and wait 20 min while having coffee.

Last edited:
Id probably top with cheapest (valvoline WB), since I imagine youll change it not too far afterwards.

Whatever half-full container you have, assuming it's something similar to what's in the crankcase.

As to when... well... what would you wait for?

if it is less than completely full, i just top it off. u already bothered to check it, you might as well bring it right back to the max. if it needs 1/4 of a quart, that's what i add. there is no harm in keeping it full, or even just a touch over. the engine will still run if it is a quart low, but at that point you definitely should add, unless you have already gone 4-5k, at which point, i would just drain and refill the whole works. i only change the filter every 10k.
so you can also use the strategy to always just change the whole works if it uses one qt per 4-5k.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

As to when... well... what would you wait for?

Ya, after all you've opened the hood, checked the level and know it's down!!!!

I don't know much about those specific oils, but I frequently hear that switching/mixing oils tends to increase consumption (all else equal). It's probably best to stick with one oil.

What oil is Firestone using?

I top-off at a half-quart low or more, IF I'm going to be going more than another 1-1.5k miles on the OC...if I'm close to an OC, I'd just leave it. My car consumes very little oil, so I've only ever topped it off two or three times.....

Kendall is a clone of tropartic, phillips 66, and motorcraft. If you find a case sale on any of these oils in the future, for your other cars, then you'll have some for the buick too.

I agree on the valvo white bottle of what you have. Cheap, and neutral. (not that anything else would cause an issue)

One of my cars uses oil, and I know how much it will be down based on miles driven. I check oil every 500 miles or so, this uses about 1/2 qt every 1700 miles. When its down 1/2 qt I top it off. I usually top it off with the same oil I filled it with, or what ever I have around at the time, its the beater. If I had to top off when of my babied cars, it would always be with the same oil that I used at the time of the OC. In reality, doing that means nothing at all, its just my OCD.

Top off with the Max-life since its in your stash. Thats what I did when I started consuming some oil and the consumption went away as far as I could tell.

Top off with the same oil that's in the sump. Get a good interval like the first of every month and top it up to the full line. I wouldn't wait till is 1/2 Q. low.

I just topped off my 5w-30 PP with 5w-30 YB. I'm past my OCI, but I'm not going to be able to do the change until next weekend.

OK, I admit it. It was 2qts. low and I only noticed it because the oil pressure gauge was dropping to 20psi when I'd turn corners.
06.gif

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I just topped off my 5w-30 PP with 5w-30 YB. I'm past my OCI, but I'm not going to be able to do the change until next weekend.

OK, I admit it. It was 2qts. low and I only noticed it because the oil pressure gauge was dropping to 20psi when I'd turn corners.
06.gif

Funny you mention turning corners.I had a 79 Chevette many years ago,and on off and on ramps going to the highway`s,it would starve for fuel in the turns!
shocked2.gif
and it wasnt due to being low on fuel either.

Last edited:
My Wranglers gas gauge would fluctuate depending if i was turning right or left. IF I would be close to E and made a sharp, left turn that gauge would read E lol.

Originally Posted By: Anies
My Wranglers gas gauge would fluctuate depending if i was turning right or left. IF I would be close to E and made a sharp, left turn that gauge would read E lol.

Yes,but my Chevette actually felt like it was running out of gas on those turns.And I knew their was fuel in the tank.Of course I always had carb problems with that thing,the jets were too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back