Best oil overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning on running mobil 1 5w30 and i am obviously not looking for extended oci, 2500-3000 miles and the oil will be dumped. Mobil one 5w30 would be a very good choice in my type of engine?

Quote:

I was planning on running mobil 1 5w30 and i am obviously not looking for extended oci, 2500-3000 miles and the oil will be dumped. Mobil one 5w30 would be a very good choice in my type of engine?

Yes, it would be one of the top choices although it's not my "favorite"
beer.gif
it is a good oil.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know this question seems to be asked a lot, and i know the answer tends to be that it depends on the car. But there must be one oil (street formula that can be bought by the average consumer, no exotic racing oils) that seems to shine above the rest. I know redline claims this a lot in their ads and so do amsoil and mobil 1, but there myst be one that seems to produce better results than the others more often than not. By the way this question is asked without concern to price, i dont care if the oil is $25 a quart, if its good. From reading on here though i would say the there seems to be somewhat of a concensus that Redline would be right near the top (if not the top) followed by amsoil, mobil one and royal purple. what do you guys think?

You have just named expensive oils, not necessarily good oils. Of the bunch you named Mobil 1 is the best, and probably the lowest cost too.

Better still in Canada is the PetroCan synthetic, and in the US, Valvoline Synpower looks good too.

You need to look at the specs for the oil, not the price.

You can do more for average oil quality by changing it more often, than you can by buying more expensive oil.

Mobil1 is the best oil in the discount store you buy it at.
not the best oil.
the best oil does not consist of groupIII base oil...
patriot.gif

Sootyoil,

You're dead wrong. Mobil 1 IS NOT a Group III, it's a Group IV. Are you aware that Amsoil buys their basestocks from Mobil 1?

How about we compare Quaker State Winter Blend 5W-30 cold temp data to the PetroCan 5W-30?

And keep in mind the Q-State has a Grp II+ or lower base oil component, as it is only a synthetic blend.

Quaker State Winter Blend product Data Sheet

Here's how it stacks up:

PetroCan 5W-30:

Pour Point -36, CCS 3404 @ -30, MRV 9208 @ -35

Q-State W-Blend 5W-30:

Pour Point -45, CCS 3750 @ -30, MRV 8100 @ -35

So the paltry Quaker State, not even a "full synthetic" by any definition, beats 2 out of 3 of the PetroCan cold temp specs.
grin.gif

Which brings us to my point:

Any formulation can be custom blended to generate superior hot or cold end temperature spec's.

And the point is, the PetroCan 5W-30 is blended for good, low temp performance, a goal that is not priority one for Mobil 1 5W-30, as a CCS of 3600-4000 is all that is needed for the majority of the climates for the customer base.

And yet another my-choice-of-oil-is-better-than-M1 claim is shot out of the water. When will these guys ever learn?

Quote:

And yet another my-choice-of-oil-is-better-than-M1 claim is shot out of the water. When will these guys ever learn?

Grampi,
He dragged out a Quaker State winter grade to compare to the standard PetroCan, not a Mobil 1 product. Also there is the PetroCan Arctic 0w30, if we want to compare winter grades 5,434 CCS at -35, and 18,897 MRV @ -40. Pour point is meaningless in any case. Flash point is much better on the PetroCan products indicating they did not compromize higher temperature performance and oxidation resistance to get the low temp performance.

No, Ron, your original statement was comparing a Grp IV 5W-30 to the Petrocan 5W-30 cold temp spec's.

And my point is M1 5W-30 is not specifically blended for the lowest possible cold temp specifications.

The 3600-4000 cp @ -30C is all the cold temp performance needed for the majority of the US market, which most will agree is the largest market share.

Now, let's compare base oils.

Please post the PetroCan 4 cSt Grp III base oil cold temp data and I will do the same for a 4 cSt PAO.

wink.gif
In case anyone's curious, the 4 cSt PAO will beat any GRP III 4 cSt base oil in pour point and cold temp viscosity...

Quote:

I was referring to the group III vs the group IV thing.

Yes but Blue99 did a neat little bait and switch. He dragged out a Quaker State group III and II blend oil specifically made for winter to compare to PetroCan's standard (not winter grade) group III synthetic. And, then switch to somehow justify that Mobil I group IV was better than the PetroCan??

"Please post the PetroCan 4 cSt Grp III base oil cold temp data and I will do the same for a 4 cSt PAO."

As I noted to Grampi, the PetroCan 5w30 is a standard year around product and not blended for winter either. And while it is pointless to compare base oils, the link below has both the PetroCan and the PAO 4cSt. The problem with comparing base oils beyond VI is that nobody would run their car on a 4cSt oil without additives. Sure PAO has great specs hot and cold in the neat base oil, but they become quite ordinary once the additives and solvents necessary to dissolve the additives are put in. On the other hand the additives in group III improve these specs.

And as we have discussed many times before, net net, the group III can be just as good or better than the Group IV in final product form.

Lets compare PetroCan 0w30 to Mobil 1 0w30 for example. PC has a higher flash point of 235 compared to Mobil 1's 228, VI of the PC is 170 compared to M1's 169 (i.e. same), and while Mobil 1 does not publish MRV or CCS, I suspect it is no better than PC's 18,897 and 5,434. Pour point is meaningless in the real world engine. Both are SM starburst oils. I'm not seeing any great superiority of the final product PAO over the group III. With the same base oil VI they are going to have the same VII. In fact with normal OCI's and the the lower price of PC, it is clearly a better choice.

And yah here is the link, but suggest comparing pure base oil is an apples and oranges thing.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/BaseOils/comp_light.shtml

It is OK to be a fan of an oil but it is getting out of hand. THe entire point of this thread is there is no real end all motor oil. Life is so much easier if you don't favor any brand.
Agree or disagree everyone has had their say on the base oil performance classification issue a hundred times over.
Let it rest and people will come to therir own conclusions for whatever reasons.
This thread is way off track.

Quote:

It is OK to be a fan of an oil but it is getting out of hand. THe entire point of this thread is there is no real end all motor oil. Life is so much easier if you don't favor any brand.
Agree or disagree everyone has had their say on the base oil performance classification issue a hundred times over.
Let it rest and people will come to therir own conclusions for whatever reasons.
This thread is way off track.

I agree! Best is what works for you.

I don't have any problem with someone making a claim. I do however have a problem with someon making claims and not backing them with any proof. There's been a lot of that going on in this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back