Best oil overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this question seems to be asked a lot, and i know the answer tends to be that it depends on the car. But there must be one oil (street formula that can be bought by the average consumer, no exotic racing oils) that seems to shine above the rest. I know redline claims this a lot in their ads and so do amsoil and mobil 1, but there myst be one that seems to produce better results than the others more often than not. By the way this question is asked without concern to price, i dont care if the oil is $25 a quart, if its good. From reading on here though i would say the there seems to be somewhat of a concensus that Redline would be right near the top (if not the top) followed by amsoil, mobil one and royal purple. what do you guys think?

Greetings. I'm new to the site. I am a team leader at Quaker State/Pennzoil/Shell's R&D in Houston. I'm a mechanical engineer and ASE Master & L1. To answer your question, it really depends on what you want the oil to do. While many oils meet specs, oil companies can build a variety of oils.

Redline is near the top and well the way some people would put it, it doesn't meet the specs! (Not API certified)
smile.gif

I think I can sum it up by writing: it depends of what the definition of "best" is.

I think there is no "best" oil for all engines and all drivers. "Best" seems to be a relative term as in what is "best" for you and your particular needs. For my 92 Civic, "best" is the TropArtic I bought for $1.00 a quart at Dollar Tree
grin.gif
changed at 5K intervals. When I run out of this stash, it'll be the Havoline that I picked up at Wal-Mart for $1.28 a quart also at 5K intervals. These 2 oils will no doubt see my Honda into the next 100K miles. From everything that I've read here, changing your oil at an interval that does not deplete the oil completely of its additive package will give you no problems. I have read many UOA's from many different oils both dino and syn that are either on the mark average wise or below average as far as wear goes. Regularly changing the oil, IMHO, is more of a factor that the type used. Will a syn allow you more miles between changes than a dino? Probably. There is no magical elixir (Ok GC fans, keep the trolls at bay here
feedtroll.gif
). Finding the right oil for your particular needs is the goal here. For some it's Redline. For others it's SuperTech. And for some it's whatever is on sale. Used and changed within their expectancy, each will provide many many miles without any lube related problems.

tounge2.gif

Ferndog
welcome.gif
Nice to see SOPUS looking in.

Now to the original poster. Your question is too broad to answer. In terms of service type, equipment quality, and your expected service life out of the oil you need to answer these.
There is no real Best oil for all applications.
In normal streetcar applications at normal intervals most ILSAC GF-4 SM conventional oils will do the job admirably and there is no real advantage in using a premium engine oil. If Arctic temperatures, Extreme performance requirements ( Sustained Oil temps above 250)or extended drains are part of the performance requirement then certain synthetics have strengths over others in each regard.

If I could tell you to pour "XX4" brand oil in your car it is the best in all applications I would be lying or trying to sell you something. So the best oil is up to the end users needs, not the oil.

I am talking high performance for the street. I obviously wouldnt buy a top dollar synthetic for my 1931 ford model A. I want something that can handle the high heat of a high performance engine while reducing friction to get the maximum performance out of my engine and still be able to run it in a daily driven car.

Now what's the engine? Is it a roller or DOHC valvetrain? What makes it high performance? Is it Turbocharged?
The most apparent and simple solution for handling high heat(if it is actually present) and reducing friction is a lower viscosity synthetic.
Is there anything about your application that is not stock if not what is the factory recomendation?

Last edited:
Quote:

I know this question seems to be asked a lot, and i know the answer tends to be that it depends on the car. But there must be one oil (street formula that can be bought by the average consumer, no exotic racing oils) that seems to shine above the rest. I know redline claims this a lot in their ads and so do amsoil and mobil 1, but there myst be one that seems to produce better results than the others more often than not. By the way this question is asked without concern to price, i dont care if the oil is $25 a quart, if its good. From reading on here though i would say the there seems to be somewhat of a concensus that Redline would be right near the top (if not the top) followed by amsoil, mobil one and royal purple. what do you guys think?

You have just named expensive oils, not necessarily good oils. Of the bunch you named Mobil 1 is the best, and probably the lowest cost too.

Better still in Canada is the PetroCan synthetic, and in the US, Valvoline Synpower looks good too.

You need to look at the specs for the oil, not the price.

You can do more for average oil quality by changing it more often, than you can by buying more expensive oil.

Quote:

I want something that can handle the high heat of a high performance engine while reducing friction to get the maximum performance out of my engine and still be able to run it in a daily driven car.

Look for a SM Starburst oil that has a low HT/HS if you want the maximum HP out of your engine. You will find Redline to be among the worst.

the car has a roller dohc and turbocharged. 10w30 is stock recomendation. It has also been modified from stock with more compreession and a bigger turbocharger.

Best oil is very much up to the individual.

Which car?

What environment?

How is the car driven?

What are the goals of the owner?

Is the car in or out of warranty?

Is the engine modded?

etc.

As an example, I want to keep cars for a very long time and rack up high miles with low operating costs.

Yet I like to drive the cars really really hard, and I drive in a fairly demanding mountainous region with a wide temperature range. So I think the best oil for me will be a synthetic oil.

And I have lots of drivers in my family, and I don't want to worry about oil levels if a vehicle is far from home, and I don't want to worry about getting oil changes scheduled or going over an oil change interval.

So if a car is in warranty, then I use the synthetic oil that meets the specs or approvals like a Mobil 1 0W-40 in a Mercedes, or Delvac 1 in a Turbo Diesel, German Castol 0W-30, or a VW approved oil in a Pumpe Duse Turbo Diesel.

If the car is out of warranty then I like Redline oil, Castrol GC, Amsoil Euro 5W-40,Amsoil Series 2000 or 3000, or Mobil 1 EP.

I suspect that certain Lubro Moly, Motul, and elf oils would also serve me well.

Once I think I've found a good oil, then I see how it works for me. Redline is an oil that has really impressed me. So if I had to choose one oil , I'd say Redline is the best.

But all the top synthetics are quite good.

Quote:

I know this question seems to be asked a lot, and i know the answer tends to be that it depends on the car.

Also depends on the type of driving, weather conditions and a host of other variables. To claim that one oil is "best overall" is purely subjective.

For example, I believe that Amsoil is best overall, but my criteria (good UOA's, the ability to purchase on-line, etc) are different from someone else who wants oils available at Wal-Mart and very low cost.

What you'll get are opinions only, mine included.

Quote:

Quote:

You have just named expensive oils, not necessarily good oils. Of the bunch you named Mobil 1 is the best, and probably the lowest cost too.

Better still in Canada is the PetroCan synthetic, and in the US, Valvoline Synpower looks good too.

You can do more for average oil quality by changing it more often, than you can by buying more expensive oil.

Mobil1 is the best oil in the discount store you buy it at.
not the best oil.
the best oil does not consist of groupIII base oil...
patriot.gif

Motoman358,
With a bigger aftermarket turbo I see a need in a syntheticv oil with low volatility. Since your valvetrain is a really low friction set you may not need a extra heavy duty additive pack in your engine oil. I would personally refrain from extended OCI's in a modified engine unless under the guidance of Terry Dyson or at least doing some UOA's.
So you are left wioth Top Tear Engine oils of wich The following come to mind,
The AMSOIL selection(5w,10w30's contact a site sponsor for applications)), Redline (5w20 or 5w30), GC, and Mobil 1 5w30. I am sure there are others but this is the quality level I would look for in your situation.
Since the aftermarket Turbo is no cheap venture you need to protect it, at the same time you need to realize it is piutting an extra load on the oil that may require additinbal thermostatic cooling depending on your situation.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mobil1 is the best oil in the discount store you buy it at.
not the best oil.
the best oil does not consist of groupIII base oil...
patriot.gif

Got any proof to back up that claim?

Quote:

grampi48. Just spend some time in the UOA section. About 6 months should do it.

I've spent the last year looking there and I haven't seen anything to support that claim.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back