"Best" oil for VW 1.8T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I hadn't been here for about three weeks, and now allofasudden I have a conundrum. I had decided to try RP, and I'm about 1000 miles on it. Had been using M1 5W-40; UOA was very good except for higher-than-normal iron and lead for a 1.8T.

So I just heard of Patman's less than stellar UOA for RP. And I looked at the "Best Oil" poll and saw a post by Terry that VW 1.8T's like Redline.

I'm going to a two-day track event at Watkins Glen in a few days, so the engine will get run hard. I have a 2000 mile drive there (from Albuquerque), so I'll be changing the oil when I get to the track. (I'll get a sample of the RP for UOA.)

I'm not sure I want to put RP back in it. If a normally aspirated engine breaks it down, I don't trust it in my Turbo. So I'm going to either go back to M1, or try Redline. I don't care about money - I want the best for this engine because I'm keeping it forever. If Redline has a better additive package, then I'd be willing to go there. Any comments? My normal usage is some around-town, some highway, and track usage 3 to 5 times a year...

quote:

Originally posted by rusty:
Wow, I hadn't been here for about three weeks, and now allofasudden I have a conundrum. I had decided to try RP, and I'm about 1000 miles on it. Had been using M1 5W-40; UOA was very good except for higher-than-normal iron and lead for a 1.8T.

So I just heard of Patman's less than stellar UOA for RP. And I looked at the "Best Oil" poll and saw a post by Terry that VW 1.8T's like Redline.

I'm going to a two-day track event at Watkins Glen in a few days, so the engine will get run hard. I have a 2000 mile drive there (from Albuquerque), so I'll be changing the oil when I get to the track. (I'll get a sample of the RP for UOA.)

I'm not sure I want to put RP back in it. If a normally aspirated engine breaks it down, I don't trust it in my Turbo. So I'm going to either go back to M1, or try Redline. I don't care about money - I want the best for this engine because I'm keeping it forever. If Redline has a better additive package, then I'd be willing to go there. Any comments? My normal usage is some around-town, some highway, and track usage 3 to 5 times a year...

Redline would be a great oil for your application.

I'm not very versed in their product line though, but I'm sure someone here will jump in and let you know exactly what you should run.

[ April 22, 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Justin ]

Rusty,

The Redline 5w-40, the Amsoil Series 2000, 0w-30 and the Mobil 1, 5w-30 all work very well in this motor. I think any one of these would be an improvement over what you're using.

I would hesitate about comparing one engine to another, even if they are the same type. Differences in driving conditions and engine tolerances can make a significant difference in wear rates. I have a customer with a twin engine SeaRay cabin cruiser and these 7.4L Mercruiser engines see exactly the same operating conditions. Yet the iron wear in the port engine is consistently about 30% higher than in the starboard engine.

TooSlick

I would certainly try Redline, Amsoil, or Mobil1 Delvac over RP in the conditions you listed. The Mobil1 Delvac formula is reported to have a good dose more anti-wear additives comapared to the regular Mobil1. I think those are your best bets, and I would probably stick with a 40 weight for that engine, whether it is 5w-40 or 10w-40 really doesnt make much difference IMO.

Whatever oil you choose for the trip/track event I certainly would not compare the UOA results to any other oil change interval as the track day will definitely put some stress on the engine and oil.

Watkins Glen sounds like a blast, how do you get into such events, I would love to run that track sometime, but I figured they wouldn't have many street car events there.

good luck.

I have a 2.1 liter Volvo turbo. Amsoil goes 10,000 mile change intervals with no problem. Please take a look at the UOA's. I think someone just ran Amsoil in their Audi turbo if my memory serves me....

Well I will say this, with Red Line you wouldn't have to change it before the track day with only 3000 mi on it. If you feel that you have to do this with your current oil, then yes, you may be using the wrong oil.
Since you are doing track events, I'd recommend the 5w40 or 10w40. Just saw you're in New Mexico...I'd use the 10w40, there should be no need for 5w, and you can get the 10w cheaper because more retailers carry it.

RE: Watkins Glen Track Days - check out www.scda1.com. These guys are a class act. I found out about it through my favorite Passat forum - www.clubb5.com

Thanks, guys, for all your advice. I'm going with Redline 10W-40 for now, and let more UOA's come in on RP. I don't know why I thought I wanted to be a guinea pig, anyway...
banghead.gif

Some of you mentioned Reline 5w-40. They list only 10w-40 on their website - is this just a case of a non-updated website? I think I'll stick with 10w-40 anyway, due to the climate here and my car is garaged.

Yes the 5w40 is simply a new grade (along with 5w20). Few retailers carry them, but you can also buy direct.

Good choice.
Sounds like fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back