Best Oil for Turbo S4

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member and Ive been digging through the forums for a bit. Looking for opinion on which is the best oil to run on a 2002 s4 running twin 68mm turbos, making upper 700chp. car will see both street and track use.

I read into the VW 502.00 / 505.00 / 505.01 certified oils. Not sure how important it is for the oil to be officially certified or not.

From my reading it seems like the following are popular choices.

RedLine 5/40
Motul 8100 5/40 5/30 0/30
GC 0/30
M1 0/40
M1 ESP 5/40
Amsoil 5/40

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I would tend to lean towards the Red Line. Might give them a call as they are really good at answering questions. All those you have listed are good oils.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

I would recommend taking the M1 ESP off your list. This type of oil is a compromise with protection of the diesel particulate filter (which you don't have) and the catalysts (which evidently aren't damaged by the other higher phosphorus/sulfur choices you have) in mind.
I can tell you by personal UOA experience (although on a diesel) that this type of oil (Castrol OE Professional 5W30) does not have much endurance as measured by TBN/TAN.
My advice: M1 0W40, or Redline.

Charlie

Since you have the turbo S4, which is the B5 generation.
Stay away from RP, it will burn to much.

RP is great oil and is also good for mpg, but for turboed engines, especially high temperature engines like the Audi, stay away.

I have experience with RP and have tested it over 3 back to back to back oil changes and still everyone had a consistent amount of oil loss. I was adding 3-4 litres over 5000km. That cost me about $200 for each oil change, 10+litres.

Go with the Motul, by far the best oil i have ever used for my Audi. And my other cars too.

And make sure you use the Oversize filters.

Notice how i didnt even mention the other oils!

Last edited:
how does motul 8100, m1, and redline compare? they seem to be the most popular.

Last edited:
Redline or at least a good 5w-40, like Rotella Synth. Do some used oil lab work for specific info on your engine's condition.

T6 or Redline. Redline would be the obvious choice if you can afford it and want to deal with shipping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yankee81116
how does motul 8100, m1, and redline compare? they seem to be the most popular.

Ya, i forgot about the Redline, good oil but i never personally tried it.

Originally Posted By: yankee81116
how does motul 8100... and redline compare?

If the OP wants to run Motul, I would suggest the 300V. At the HP he's running he needs all the protection he can get IMO. The ester containing 300V would likely do better than the 8100. Also ester-based oils should handle the high temps of such an application.

Here is a used oil analysis of 2 Motul 8100 oils vs. redline. The redline stayed a 40 weight after 5000 miles while the 8100's sheared to a 30 weight after 3500 miles. The redline had a high flashpoint while the motul was low in comparison. The redline had lower wear metal concentration than the motul 8100 oils.

Motul makes great oils but the 8100 oils (VW/audi 502 spec) are not on the same level as the ester-based oils IMO. Renewable lubricants biosyn 5w40 is another ester based oil to consider.

Here is that UOA on the vw/audi 2.0FSI turbo. The newest one is redline and the two previous to that are Motul.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1891050#Post1891050

thanks a bunch guys. i ordered some redline and will do some UOA after 3k and then ill try motul 300v and see how it compares.

I'm sure you can easily go up to 5k w/o problems, seeing as you don't have DI. Your UOA will flag any issues going from there.

Audi requires only 505.01 oils in their RS engines so they may be your best choice based on actual engine testing by Audi?

Just an FYI that a UOA can't tell you if one oil lubricates your engine better than another as Doug Hillary's article at the link below explains. A UOA is intended to determine the proper OCI, what contaminants are present in the oil and if there is a mechanical issue with the engine. A UOA is not designed to tell if one oil performs better in your engine and can't provide that information. You'd need to run the oil test sequence that car makers use like the ACEA A3/B4 or a VW/Audi specific sequence like the 505.01 to determine how any non-approved oil performs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back