best oil for Toyota's 3.5L 2GR-FE v6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used 2006 one owner RAV4 with the nice 3.5L v6 . I have just got around to looking up things and plan on a tune up and oil change soon.

its spotless under hood and under motor so I am thinking its clean and tight. I want to make this motor last.

I know its the same as in the camry, lexus RX350, Avalon and maybe others. good motor.

I know it calls for 5W30 and 2 people recomend 0W20

can someone tell me why to use 0w20 ? I have not had a car this low in miles in a long time. its a sweet motor.

my volvo t5 s70 tranny quit but I dont miss my turbo at all with this little beast

Toyota backwards specified it for 0W20. No harm in that...no harm in a 5W30 either...or a 0W30 for that matter.

Several outstanding oils in any of those grades. As I implied above, I would wait for a good sale/rebate and pick up the oil then.

Toyota back spec'd XW20 oils for most of their engines since 06.

ToyotaOilChart-capture.jpg

Unless you're doing heavy towing or racing the Rav4, 0w20 will work great.

Venza is a good 4-500lbs heavier than a Rav4 so the engine in a Venza is working harder all the time. That's the only big difference I can see. Then again, if you use 5w20 dino it'll be worse than a 0w20 full synth.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Somewhat O/T.
Why is the 0W-20 back specced for RAV4 but not the Venza V6? Running a 2009 Venza and am very curious on this one.

Good resource here.

http://www.rav4world.com/pdf/2GR-FE.pdf

Originally Posted By: HKPolice

ok, didnt know this but ive had the car for 3 days only.

I will be picking up some 0w20 soon.

question now is which 0w20 ?

Whatever is on sale, as long as it's 0w20 full synthetic rated for API SN.

Originally Posted By: MZ-Bird

It is a good motor possessing a good balance between smoothness and power.

I'd stay with the 5W-30 in this engine and not worry about the back spec. allowing ligher weight motor oils.

Right now, high performance synthetics from all major manufacturers are on sale at Walmart.

I am partial to SOPUS products so 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum would be my first choice.

That 3.5 liter will continue to stay clean and well lubricated with PP.

Remember to head down to your favorite Toyota dealer and pick up a case of OEM filters too.

Originally Posted By: MZ-Bird

Mobil 1 AFE 0w20

Venza is a good 4-500lbs heavier than a Rav4 so the engine in a Venza is working harder all the time. That's the only big difference I can see. Then again, if you use 5w20 dino it'll be worse than a 0w20 full synth.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Somewhat O/T.
Why is the 0W-20 back specced for RAV4 but not the Venza V6? Running a 2009 Venza and am very curious on this one.

Good resource here.

http://www.rav4world.com/pdf/2GR-FE.pdf

Why would it be worse. That would be entirely interval dependent. Both would perform the same if the intervals were short. Synthetics last longer in service. That doesn't necessarily mean a conventional wouldn't be fine as well.
Op
If your engine was back-spec'd for a 20 grade,and you aren't operating in the "severe service" realm then a 20 grade would be fine.
Millions of engines run 20 grades and they are lasting longer than the car around it does,just consider that tidbit of info.
Go buy the Toyota genuine motor oil in the 0w-20 flavour. Its a Mobil product and we've amassed quite a few used oil analysis here with that oil,and it's proven to be a fantastic product capable of their 10000 mile interval easily in most applications.
I wouldn't even consider any other options to be honest. You've got an oil that's engineered for Toyota engines available and since it's been in use its been tested and talked about to death here,and is a proven quality product.
If it really concerns you using a 20 grade,engineered for Toyota,then substitute a quart or 2 for m1 0w-40.
You end up with a mixture that has a sky high viscosity index,which is good,and the mix ends up having properties combined that are better than what you can buy off the shelf in a 30 grade b

Here it's called the Caterham blend. Use the search function and get comfy. You'll be there all night.

The place in Kamloops BC where I take my used oil samples, BTA, use RAV 4s for their field vehicles.
They change the filter at 6,000 miles and the oil and filter at 12,000 miles.
(20,000 km)
They trade the vehicles at 600,000 km (370,000 miles), all highway.
They use Castrol Syntech 5W50.
My daughter and daughter in law both have 2013 Matrix, 90% of the time I use 10W30 CJ-4/SN.
I don't think Toyota engines are built around an oil spec.
I believe that a well designed engine will operate just fine on any name brand engine oil that is compatible with the ambient temperature.
After 16 months both Matrix (I paid for them) are so full of dog hair that the trade-in value is suspect.

The 3.5 can get noisy with mileage, and sometimes sound better with viscosity.

My recommendation is ANY full synthetic current spec PCMO.

Grades: 0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 0w40, 5w40....it'll run on any just fine.

Mobil1 EP, Amsoil, Redline, Toyota, Honda, Mazda,...have great 0w20's.

Change the antifreeze now to prevent the failing water pump seal from leaking it dry.

And, make sure you have the external rubber oil line replaced with the metal one. The rubber line has been known to fail.

Definitely due for brake bleed, transmission fluid, and PSF changes too, and now is a good time for cabin and engine air filters starting point.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
The 3.5 can get noisy with mileage, and sometimes sound better with viscosity.

My recommendation is ANY full synthetic current spec PCMO.

Grades: 0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 0w40, 5w40....it'll run on any just fine.

Mobil1 EP, Amsoil, Redline, Toyota, Honda, Mazda,...have great 0w20's.

Change the antifreeze now to prevent the failing water pump seal from leaking it dry.

And, make sure you have the external rubber oil line replaced with the metal one. The rubber line has been known to fail.

Definitely due for brake bleed, transmission fluid, and PSF changes too, and now is a good time for cabin and engine air filters starting point.

I stopped by dealer yesterday to get printout of recalls that were done and the oil line was done although it was with the newer rubber/metal line and not the full metal line. I am going to order the all metal line and replace it myself.

going to put all fresh fluids on it as well.

Congrats on the Rav MZ. Nice little cuv. I have the 3.5 liter now in my RX350 and like it very much. I am getting 19-20mpg`s and that is around town with some back road driving. Couldn't get past 18 in my RX330 over the same driving routes. very torque motor too.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Congrats on the Rav MZ. Nice little cuv. I have the 3.5 liter now in my RX350 and like it very much. I am getting 19-20mpg`s and that is around town with some back road driving. Couldn't get past 18 in my RX330 over the same driving routes. very torque motor too.

yeah I love the power and size of this little cuv even if its a girly mobile.

I didnt mind one bit yesterday when I blew the doors off an unsuspecting punk yesterday.

no I dont usually do that and no I didnt go past 60mph. I just beat the tar out of him up to then. after I slowed down and he pulled over cause I think he broke his turbo Fiat...lol...

I got lucky with this Rav4 as it was a 1 owner low low miles and v6. its 8yrs old and looks like new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back