Best Oil for Stored Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 25 year old car which will be undergoing some bodywork at a leisurely pace. It's unlikely to be driven for several months, perhaps as long as a year. What's the best oil to have in it during storage? This is a cast iron block/aluminum head Volvo B21 "red block" engine. Am I correct in thinking that the diesel formulations like Chevron Delo, Shell Rotella or Mobil Delvac would be best?

I would take Devac 1300 and add in at least a quart of Lube Control. For example, if the engine sump capacity is 5 quarts, use 4 quarts of Delvac 1300 and 1 quart of Lube Control. Thoroughly let the oil circulate until the engine is up to operating temperature and then shut down.

[ July 03, 2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I'd put in a load of AMSOIL 15W-40. Will protect against corrosion for up to a year.
Just have to fill, run up to operating temperature, and shut off.
Would be a good idea to put some stabilizer in the gas, too.

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
I'd put in a load of AMSOIL 15W-40. Will protect against corrosion for up to a year.
Just have to fill, run up to operating temperature, and shut off.
Would be a good idea to put some stabilizer in the gas, too.

What about Amsoil's marine oil? I heard this oils works best for engines which are stored for very long periods, since most marine engines end up not being used from October to April every year in cold climates. Supposedly Amsoil's marine oil clings very well to the parts on shutdown, and prevents corrosion very well too.

The same stuff.
Product code AME.
Front label reads, among other things, "Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil"

Back label reads, among other things, "API Service SL, SJ,CH-4, CF-2, CF" and "A MIL-L-21260D Rust Prevention Lubrican. Actually protects stored engines against rust for up to one year."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back