Best oil for my 1.4T Trax?

I've been using mostly Castrol Edge (black bottle, non-EP) along with strictly AC Delco filters *UFI cap 🙄*. I've ran it strictly following the OLM. However, I remember someone a while ago on BITOG running some UOAs and saying that some oils looked on the edge of shearing at around 20%. Do you guys have any suggestions on oil brands and if I should still follow the OLM? Thanks. I don't mind spending a little more.

Edge of shearing? I don't know if I've ever seen a passenger car cause actual mechanical shear in an oil on here, if the UOA were from Blackstone then there is no way to reliably discriminate a viscosity deviation between fuel dilution and mechanical shear. They also have shown difficulty in accurately measuring viscosity. Shear is one of those terms that's thrown around a lot and the vast majority of time it is fuel dilution or inaccurate viscosity and/or flash point measurement.

So having said that I'd use any oil that carries the specification or license listed in your owner's manual. As noted above a dexos licensed oil is a good choice.

I've been using mostly Castrol Edge (black bottle, non-EP) along with strictly AC Delco filters *UFI cap 🙄*. I've ran it strictly following the OLM. However, I remember someone a while ago on BITOG running some UOAs and saying that some oils looked on the edge of shearing at around 20%. Do you guys have any suggestions on oil brands and if I should still follow the OLM? Thanks. I don't mind spending a little more.

Here’s a UOA from my wife’s 1.4T in her Buick. The oil was (claimed to be) bulk AC Delco 5w30 Dexos from the dealer invoice who did the last oil change. I change it for her every 5,000 miles (about 30-40% OLM) on these high strung turbos. They’re tough on oil.

hardcore302

Here’s a UOA from my wife’s 1.4T in her Buick. The oil was (claimed to be) bulk AC Delco 5w30 Dexos from the dealer invoice who did the last oil change. I change it for her every 5,000 miles (about 30-40% OLM) on these high strung turbos. They’re tough on oil.

Did you ever get the dealership to admit that they were using the wrong filter?

wlk

Another option would be PP Euro L 5w30. It is at the higher end of the cst for a 30w, almost a 40w and held up better than Castrol and Mobil1 in my kids Volvo C30 both 5w30. The others would be use about 1 to 1.5qts between 7k mile oci's and the Euro L was right at full everytime. I personally would ignore the olm and just change whatever you end up running at 5k oci's. Good luck

Quaker State Synthetic at Wal Mart. That’s my thought