Best oil for Honda J32/J35

I’m sure this topic has been beaten to death but it seems like there is conflicting information. I have a 07 TL that Honda specifies 5w20 for. Some people are of the camp that a 20wt is because of CAFE and does not provide enough protection being too thin. So a 30wt should be used. Others say 30wt provides no additional tangible wear protection and might be too thick for tighter tolerances. Some even say 20wt provides less friction and engine load.

What is the final verdict then? For a 07 TL with a j35 engine would a 30wt be better then a 20wt when it comes to engine wear long term?

Here is a recent thread that incidentally started out the same.

Those engines are reliable so use 5W20 and don't overthink it. The only concern you should have with that engine is the timing belt condition based on age, miles and if you have an oil leak that gets on the belt. The automatic transmission will crock before a properly maintained Honda engine will 99% of the time.

Lol strange coincidence. But he seems more concerned with brand of oil and synthetic vs conventional. I’m more concerned about the grade of a oil. I recognize 20wt in a Honda j series under normal circumstances the engine would probably outlive the car. But technically speaking is there any benefit going the 30wt route?

Is this a new car to you ? If not then what have you been running in it?

Nothing wrong with 5w20. Run it unless you have consumption issues then perhaps the 30 grade would be more suitable.

Lol strange coincidence. But he seems more concerned with brand of oil and synthetic vs conventional. I’m more concerned about the grade of a oil. I recognize 20wt in a Honda j series under normal circumstances the engine would probably outlive the car. But technically speaking is there any benefit going the 30wt route?
That subject is likely the number one topic on this board, and has been discussed numerous times in numerous ways - most recently in a thread you can find in the recent threads list. Maybe look around a bit? You seem to know we've already discussed it so I'm a little mystified why you're bringing it up again.

And yes it has been beaten to death.

That subject is likely the number one topic on this board, and has been discussed numerous times in numerous ways - most recently in a thread you can find in the recent threads list. Maybe look around a bit? You seem to know we've already discussed it so I'm a little mystified why you're bringing it up again.

And yes it has been beaten to death.

I have looked around in the past. Seemed like differing opinions. Just wondering if there is a definitive scientific fact at this point. That being that a 20wt in a Honda J series poses no additional risk of engine wear compared to a 30wt under normal circumstances.

I have looked around in the past. Seemed like differing opinions. Just wondering if there is a definitive scientific fact at this point. That being that a 20wt in a Honda J series poses no additional risk of engine wear compared to a 30wt under normal circumstances.
Sure. Got it.

Is this a new car to you ? If not then what have you been running in it?

Nothing wrong with 5w20. Run it unless you have consumption issues then perhaps the 30 grade would be more suitable.

The car isn’t new to me. It’s a high mileage engine and I’ve used a 30wt since I’ve owned it. My commutes have changed to short trips though so I was thinking about going a 20wt route next oil change but wouldn’t want to at the expense of additional wear.

There would be no additional wear going to a 20 grade. That’s malarkey. Since you have been running a 30 grade why not stay the course? Don’t try to fix what is not broken.

Might just do that. I was just thinking the 20wt would be a better choice for short trips and if no additional wear then why not?

Welcome to BITOG!

It doesn't matter that much. Napa has their house brand synthetic on sale. It is good for the interval suggested by the minder :)

The transmission will die, or the car will rust, before you have any oil-related problem with the engine. Your TL doesn't even have VCM, either, so you don't have to worry about that. Most likely, the only engine problem you'd every have to worry about is the timing belt, if it breaks.

A non-VCM J series just won't care. Make sure to adjust the valves, replace the oil pump seals and timing belt and drive it to the grave. By 2007 the transmission issues had been corrected and over 200k on the 5 speeds is more common than not.

FWIW I've flipped around several times on both of my cars, I really never notice anything different. As the original owner of the 2003 I even have a list of oils I've used. Back then I refused to believe that 5W20 was good for anything and ran 10W-30, that car still runs like a top at 230k miles.

I have Supertech 5w30 High Mileage Full Syn in my Odyssey right now (J35). VCM motor but I have VCM disabled. About 4K in and oil is still honey brown and not burning any. I 100% plan on doing a UOA when it's time.

Back