"best" oil for Honda and their flat rocker arms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GS-R had 200,000+ miles when I traded it in. It saw redline on a daily basis on MobilClean 5000 5W30.

The engine still had good compression across all 4 cylinders. No mechanical problems under the hood. I just wanted back doors for the kiddo.

thanks for the suggestions...

but again, this is NOT for a stock engine.

12:1 compression, built valvetrain, etc... and it does see track use.

if it was stock, i'd stick with M1 oil. but, it is not...

Originally Posted By: Cynical_1
thanks for the suggestions...

but again, this is NOT for a stock engine.

12:1 compression, built valvetrain, etc... and it does see track use.

if it was stock, i'd stick with M1 oil. but, it is not...

What's wrong with Mobil 1 0w40? Outside of the US some of the higher-output Honda motors call for Xw40.

You'd be hard pressed to beat that M1 0w-40. It's spec'd for my 425 hp engine.

But if you imagine you need a wild oil for a wild motor then you want Amsoil's Dominator series. 3 weights available.

M1 15w-50 has the highest zddp in the M1 line and would probably work well for your cams. Many Porsche 911 drivers use it.

From their website - "Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for older valve train designs that may benefit from a higher level of anti-wear normally not required in newer generation vehicles."

Cynical I recognize you from the RR forum on HT. I have an H22 that's used the same as yours and cam/rocker wear is more real in this family than any other Honda engine (due to lower rocker hardness according to Larry at Endyn). I haven't found anything better than M1 0W-40. Good enough for ALMS and LeMans engines that use sliding valvetrain is good enough for me.

Use an oil meeting VW 504/507 specs. Lubrizol engineers rate this spec highly for wear control, and the european spec oils tend to have higher zddp levels, too. Go to a Volkswagen, Audi, or Porsche (Porsche C30 spec) dealer for that oil.

Originally Posted By: RollerRocker
Use an oil meeting VW 504/507 specs. Lubrizol engineers rate this spec highly for wear control, and the european spec oils tend to have higher zddp levels, too. Go to a Volkswagen, Audi, or Porsche (Porsche C30 spec) dealer for that oil.

Question:

Are you going to be recommending this in every thread from now on?

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 meets those spec's BTW. But most on this site would agree that M1 0w40 is a more "robust" oil, as it is spec'd for higher performance applications.

You appear to be using the Lubrizol spec chart as some sort of oil quality barometer. That is not its purpose.

Originally Posted By: Lubrizol

The performance charts are not a literal translation of a performance specification and should not be used as a replacement for evaluating engine oil performance in accordance with the relevant vehicle manufacturer’s requirements.

Has anyone mentioned 20w-50 Valvoline VR1 Racing oil? Last time I looked it was loaded with ZDDP. FWIW--Oldtommy

Where does Redline fit in? I've been using the 5-30 Redline for quite a while with no complaints.

I used it in a E-28 for over 200K miles with 6000 mile oil changes. I didn't add any oil between changes.
Now I use it in my E-46ZHP which I got bought with 35K on it. Now has 56K.
I'm always looking to improve.
I'd like to know what you guys think of Redline oil.

Guys, he said he wanted to protect his motor, not wear the poor thing out. FORGET THE MOBIL 1!!! Use Amsoil, It will protect the motor just fine. M1, Did you see the cam pictures? THEY SUCKED

I'm running about the same combo cynical, B18C5 engine in a 94 Civic Hatch with 12:1 compression, Crower valvetrain and Buddy Club SpecIII camshafts. My motor is still being broken in but I plan to track it on weekends as well.

Glad this thread came up. I've been breaking it in on Rotella and QS Defy for the extra ZDDP. FWIW guys, none of the older Honda B,D,F,H series honda engines had roller valvetrains.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Has anyone mentioned 20w-50 Valvoline VR1 Racing oil? Last time I looked it was loaded with ZDDP. FWIW--Oldtommy

Or the VR-1 10W-30 Racing oil...Dino OR Synthetic if you don't want the drag of the 20W-50.

You are over thinking it, I've seen the valve train of a type R internal swapped b18c1, it was rode hard and put away wet, it only saw 5w30 dino GTX or PYB, there was not even signs of wear after 20k miles on his set up and turned out great UOA's from black stone.

I would be more worried about getting oil pan baffles for a track b18c1 than I would be about oil, buy something suited for track use like Redline, RP, Amsoil or VR-1 and sleep easy.

Amsoil Z- Rod 10W30 would be a good choice, it's loaded with ZDDP. The oil is customized for flat tappet camshafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back