Best oil for GM 9 speed 9T65

Hey guys I just recently purchased a CPO 2019 traverse 3.6 with the 9 speed

I absolutely love the car, but I checked the transmission fluid right after buying and noticed it was not clean/changed. Dealer is agreeing it is dirty but insist GM normal maintenance schedule does not recommend changing it, so unless I want to get agressive and push my case (I do not they have been great besides this) I have to pay for a flush or what I rather do is I drain/fill myself with whatever the best oil is.

The choices I know of are:

1-mobile 1 blue label LV atf
2- Valvoline LV atf

Besides those I do not know of anything else. I believe the dealer used the mobile one blue label but both are about $40-$60 for 6 quarts online so the price is pretty good

What are the recommendations for oil for these transmissions? And are there any fluids other than these 2 that are recommended?

It's currently at 62k miles and I plan to keep the car in best shape possible!

The Mobil 1 LV blue label was used to solve the torque converter shudder in the GM 8 speed transmissions. I would stick with that.

So after looking at that fluid, I think it is actually dexron HP

According to my owners manual my fluid is dexron VI
Screenshot_20221108_191628.jpg

This post made on this forum states dexron VI and dexron HP are two different standards that cannot be mixed, and than states the 9 speed requires HP, so who is right the manual or the posts? I'm just very worried about making an issue (like shutter) when there are no issues currently
Screenshot_20221108-191039_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say MaxLife because my research shows it specs Dex VI, just as your manual suggests.

Last edited:
If it's Dex6, we use Havoline Full Syn Mylti Vehicle (Dex6 licenced). Holds up well in commercial service and trans pans are always clean at service.

If its HP..... I have no experience with it so can't recommend anything.

Good luck.

So after looking at that fluid, I think it is actually dexron HP

According to my owners manual my fluid is dexron VIView attachment 125238
This post made on this forum states dexron VI and dexron HP are two different standards that cannot be mixed, and than states the 9 speed requires HP, so who is right the manual or the posts? I'm just very worried about making an issue (like shutter) when there are no issues currently
View attachment 125240

I was wrong in that post.

9Txx transmission use Dexron-VI, not Dexron-HP. Seeing the snippet, I immediately recognized it's wrong but I have no idea how I came to that conclusion. I literally own each of those transmissions and know better: A Silverado with an 8L90 and a Blazer with a 9T60.

Double and triple checking through 2018-2022 owners manuals and service manuals, every 9Txx transmission specs Dexron-VI.

Your owner's manual is correct. There's been no update or supersession of the fluid. Grab whatever Dex-VI you'd like.

Take it as a lesson not to listen to idiots like me on the internet.

Be careful,

The latest GM Dexron VI is semi synthetic, not full synthetic…

Make sure the bottle says “Full Synthetic“ and not just “Synthetic”

I think there is a tranny filter too…

Great info guys, thank you! I've always been a big Valvoline fan, so I will probably just go with the Valvoline dex VI but I am going to look more into the havoline as well. I also know amsoil is excellent but for this applicatjon maybe overkill. The fluid is dark brown but not burnt at all so I plan to do a drain and fill with each 5k mile oil change until it is coming out clean.

Also unfortunately GM made the filters non serviceable which is dumb but I know others like Honda do that too so it is what it is

M1 LV in the Traverse was step 1 before dealers did a torque convertor swap for shudder.
I've been using Amalie full synth. Dex VI in my GM fleet. My '20 Traverse has only 22k miles on it and not due yet.

M1 LV in the Traverse was step 1 before dealers did a torque convertor swap for shudder.
I've been using Amalie full synth. Dex VI in my GM fleet. My '20 Traverse has only 22k miles on it and not due yet.
The "LV" oil is not dexron VI correct?

I'm leaning towards Valvoline Dexron VI I've had great results in every transmission I've had it in, and currently put 600-1000 miles a week on a 02 Highlander with over 300k miles in it. For the last 100k miles I've owned it I've ran the maxlife atf with lubeguard red with zero issues.

What is the difference between the blue bottle Valvoline Dexron VI and the red maxlife that is dexron VI compatible?

The maxlife states for use in over 75k mile transmissions, but than goes on to say it also can benefit new transmissions the like. Seems a little confusing to me! Being at 62k miles on the traverse I feel like maybe it's too soon for maxlife but maybe not. I plan to do a drain/fill every oil change (5k miles) untill it starts coming out super clean

Back