Best Oil for Given Engine

This isn't about what the best oil that meets factory spec is or the cheapest.

Let's theorize about the best oil for a given engine is including it's emissions equipment.

Since I own a Gen 2 3.5 Ecoboost (T-GDI) I'm going to use it. It specs a 5W-30, Mechanically shears oil and is a reputed fuel diluter (Gen I was worse).
But honestly it's just the first problem child that comes to mind.

Would the ideal oil look something like a VW 504.00 / 507.00 Oil? A CK-4 oil?

Would it be a 3.5 HTHS for best combination of protection and flow?

Would it be a 2.3 HTHS for increased flow?

Would it be a 4.4 HTHS for increased protection?

I know I have my opinions but I kind of want to see how others would go about it. I'm always willing to look at alternative ways of viewing a problem and it's solution.

Well the truth is that it would be impossible for anyone to know that unless you took all of the aforementioned characteristics you listed above, and ran them over time in a study then did a tear down. Being that is unrealistic and not going to happen, I would probably lean towards a 5w30 that meets the latest dexos/API SP specification while under warranty. If shear stability is an issue, I'd look towards oils with a high level of shear stability, which unfortunately leaves out most common 5w30 synthetic oils.

All of the major brands, and I mean all of them, claim "unsurpassed wear protection". If you look on their website as to what that references (look for the note), it relates to the SEQ IVA wear test. Wear isn't an issue. In high temperature situations, you're looking at the IIIH. With that said, I don't think it matters as much as we think it does.

Last edited:
Well the truth is that it would be impossible for anyone to know that unless you took all of the aforementioned characteristics you listed above, and ran them over time in a study then did a tear down. Being that is unrealistic and not going to happen, I would probably lean towards a 5w30 that meets the latest dexos/API SP specification while under warranty. If shear stability is an issue, I'd look towards oils with a high level of shear stability, which unfortunately leaves out most common 5w30 synthetic oils.

All of the major brands, and I mean all of them, claim "unsurpassed wear protection". If you look on their website as to what that references (look for the note), it relates to the SEQ IVA wear test. Wear isn't an issue. In high temperature situations, you're looking at the IIIH. With that said, I don't think it matters as much as we think it does.

FTW

I know I have my opinions but I kind of want to see how others would go about it. I'm always willing to look at alternative ways of viewing a problem and it's solution.
I'm guessing this is the point of the thread?

I mean you got this other thread by the guy that got banned, why not continue his thread in memoriam?

Guys it isn't really a specific application. I just used that engine as an example. I'm trying to get a idea of where people are coming from and what leads them to certain choices. Someone may have an idea about a certain application based on an aspect I had failed to consider.

I'm guessing this is the point of the thread?

Yes. I often see answers to specific application questions without any real insight into how the answer was arrived at. It may give me additional points to consider. I would think this could be constructive for others as well.

We used to see more of the how and the why on this site (with the exception of Terry Dyson and his maddening hints) than we see now.

I'll take a stab at it. I would use Shell Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5w30 just because I have used it myself in a GDI engine with a reputation for being hard on oil and the oil produced positive results without showing any evidence of extensive shearing or breakdown otherwise. I came to the conclusion that I should try using this oil after having heard from others who have used it in applications known for wearing out oil, only to have this oil produced similar excellent results form them as well.

If money is not an object consider Ravenol VMP 5w30, though I have not used it myself it does exhibit some exceptional properties on paper.

I'll take a stab at it. I would use Shell Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5w30 just because I have used it myself in a GDI engine with a reputation for being hard on oil and the oil produced positive results without showing any evidence of extensive shearing or breakdown otherwise. I came to the conclusion that I should try using this oil after having heard from others who have used it in applications known for wearing out oil, only to have this oil produced similar excellent results form them as well.

If money is not an object consider Ravenol VMP 5w30, though I have not used it myself it does exhibit some exceptional properties on paper.

Nothing wrong with following a "multitude of counsel" for first use then continuing because of a positive experience.

(Thinking highly of the Rotella MV as well) I'd always say an engine oil has to be entertaining, disturbing and violating.

But here somehow the HTHS-options already take care of this actually when not only the lower and higher figures are obviously far off but also the third one is deemed arbitrary if not unfortunate, at least by critics of this spec as a whole.

Fortunately this CK-4 around here has an FA-4 sibling that's not even meant for gasoline and has HTHS of 3.0 (the Rimula Ultra E Plus). I don't think I can go with the MV. I've already talked somebody into it who has the same car. With just so much reputation the MV is gaining I'm more or less bound to choose between Delo 600 ADF and Rimula Ultra E Plus FA-4 by now.

Set up a Gofundme page and convince a few donors with deep pockets of the purpose of your experiment. After a few millions, then hire a competent tribologist and a few engineers so they can run the necessary tests to determine what the absolute best oil for your engine is.

That, or follow the owner’s manual.

Set up a Gofundme page and convince a few donors with deep pockets of the purpose of your experiment. After a few millions, then hire a competent tribologist and a few engineers so they can run the necessary tests to determine what the absolute best oil for your engine is.

That, or follow the owner’s manual.

I don't need a discussion of what the manual.says I want an old school BITOG what suits the application best discussion. I don't care what application just pick something that isn't to easy.

The manual on my 3.5EB calls for an SN 5W-30 which could be anything from Coastal Conventional to Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 but is likely to restricting for the conversation. A Hyundai that allows ACEA, API and multiple grades might be better for people that won't color outside the lines.

I want an old school BITOG what suits the application best discussion

Redline 5W-30...No, wait! AMSOIL 5W-30 SS...No, Wait! Ravenol... and keep going.

You should know by now, BITOG does not have the DATA you're looking for. Just opinions about it. The only facts you will find here are the approvals, certs, etc. Mainly because most of all - with the exception of Mola, et al - don't have the insight, knowledge or access to it.

Redline 5W-30...No, wait! AMSOIL 5W-30 SS...No, Wait! Ravenol... and keep going.

You should know by now, BITOG does not have the DATA you're looking for. Just opinions about it. The only facts you will find here are the approvals, certs, etc. Mainly because most of all - with the exception of Mola, et al - don't have the insight, knowledge or access to it.

Which is why I miss some of the guys that used to be here in the early days.

Which is why I miss some of the guys that used to be here in the early days.

I recall most of the time for applications that didn't require an approval, Doug Hillary would recommend either M1 0w-40 or Delvac 1 5w-40, those were his go-to lubes based on his extensive experience.

If an approval was required, it was use the approved oil you could reasonable locate at the best price and most conveniently.

I recall most of the time for applications that didn't require an approval, Doug Hillary would recommend either M1 0w-40 or Delvac 1 5w-40, those were his go-to lubes based on his extensive experience.

If an approval was required, it was use the approved oil you could reasonable locate at the best price and most conveniently.

Well Doug is a great guy and helped me out immensely but he was a Mobil Guy no doubt. However Delvac 1 are one time was a very hard act to follow and 0W-40 was a very good oil if you needed a little less HTHS and was the all time steal at WalMart pricing. I know M1 0W-40 lost the LL01 rating but I suspect that might have been BMW making the standard harder as opposed to the reformulation.

Well Doug is a great guy and helped me out immensely but he was a Mobil Guy no doubt. However Delvac 1 are one time was a very hard act to follow and 0W-40 was a very good oil if you needed a little less HTHS and was the all time steal at WalMart pricing. I know M1 0W-40 lost the LL01 rating but I suspect that might have been BMW making the standard harder as opposed to the reformulation.

Considering it seems most, if not all 0w-40's are no longer LL-01 it's hard to say whether the manufacturers aren't pursuing it anymore or if BMW changed it significantly enough that 0w-40's don't work with it or something else 🤷

Considering it seems most, if not all 0w-40's are no longer LL-01 it's hard to say whether the manufacturers aren't pursuing it anymore or if BMW changed it significantly enough that 0w-40's don't work with it or something else 🤷

I know the Oxidation Standards were made tougher. I don't know what else was changed.

Back