Best oil for extended drains without analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
Where are all the Redline friends all of a sudden ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Has Redline in the past three months that I have been absent from this forum gone from the best to the worst oil ???

Not at all. We have seen proof on here that Redline shows excellent wear numbers in oil change intervals under 10k, but to be honest, we've seen none (or very few) on Redline above this mileage, so it's hard to say for sure if this oil is up to running to 15k or not.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I am with Terry 100%!! How can you know wich one is going to work best in this engine and driveing cycle with out UOA.

If this lady is going to run an oil for 15,000 miles, I'll bet the farm that a group IV synthetic 5w-40 HDEO (Mobil Delvac1) will show better wear numbers than even the best $1.00/quart group II PCEO (Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil), and I'll say that without oil analysis to back me up...

I am with Terry 100%!! How can you know wich one is going to work best in this engine and driveing cycle with out UOA.

I'm in agreement with Al. Be wary that this person and her hamfisted husband aren't going to come back and blame you if/when their Korean P.O.S. detonates prematurely.

"If it were a girlfriend-I'd just take care of the situation-oil analysis, check oil, etc. I would look at it as payment for services rendered."

A lube job in exchange for a @@@@ job? Yup, sounds fair to me.
grin.gif
Actually, from the talk and the activity on this site, I'm not sure which some would enjoy more.
wink.gif

An oil for a torture test? I'd go with a traditional/conventional synthetic comprised mostly of PAO ... like Amsoil or Mobil 1.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
*-*- I just can't break the 3k habit.
grin.gif
I am going to run 4k in my camry and do a UOA. I am up to 3500, and my skin is crawling.
spaz.gif
As far as the hyundai, -*-*-

Far as you don't worry, it'll make it, know plenty of guys that do normal 4-5 K in that car and they don't get any oil testing... Know a salesman in a Caprice that does 4-5K and he has almost 200K.

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:
[QB]
Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
[qb] As far as the hyundai, ----
If you are bound and determined, try to get her to do Either
M1 or Amsoil or maybe BG
It is better to try to tell her she has to change it at 7500 or twice a year, and just leave it at that.
As far as BG, I have not seen it in my truck, but the salesman was telling me something about 15 or 20K mile oil change oil supposedly fully Syn... although I have not seen anything here about it.
And the salesman was sending a sample of my oil, and amsoil and royal purple and mobil 1 to the lab for evaluation and said it would be a month or two before the results came in, and now it's been what almost a year(???), and no word from him... I donno if he found out it was no good, or that it was redline (what he was suspecting)...donno, but they claim it a high drain oil and I think he said they back it up with a warranty.

Since we are on this topic, I am using the Amsoil 0W-30 in both of my cars--a 2002 Mitsu Lancer and a 2003 Nissan Murano. It doesn't seem cost effective to keep sampling the oil to tell me when it is bad, when I can change it with dino oil every 3,000 miles for around $11. That being said, what is the secret to saving money on extended drain intervals. If I was to change the Amsoil 0W-30 every 10,000 miles without a sample, would it be fair to say that it would be good enough? (Chaning it before the oil has problems?)

I don't really like extended oil drains as a way of avoiding maintenence , The 3,000 mile oil change brings the car into the shop so the other FLUIDS the air in the TIRES and in better shops the BRAKES and BELTS etc. are checked. Can any one really guarantee that the oil will last longer than the auto mfg. oil change interval for non severe operation? I'm not saying the oil can't but with out analysis no one knows for sure.

Dookie,

I'd test the oil in each engine 1-2 times, just to make sure they are running well. Generally though, a 10,000 mile change with the Amsoil 0w-30 would be pretty conservative.

Tooslick

TooSlick:

Since the 5W-30 is cheaper than the 0W-30, what are the advantages of the 0w? I never drive over 25,000 miles a year either.

If I sample and it checks good, do I have to keep on checking it? Would I see a difference in protection, or gas mileage if I just used the XL7500 every 7,500 miles?

I'm in a similar situation, with a friend who wants her car maintained, but never has time for the maintenance. (and doesn't have enough money for synthetics).

We had GTX Magnatec go nearly 30,000km (I'm really annoyed that I didn't save a sample and have it tested).

In spite of what I know is best for her car and its longevity, I've had to let her do what she's doing to the car.

So I've settled on 15W-40 HDMO, and oil changes when she has a free hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back