Best oil for extended drains? M1 EP, Amsoil, Pennzoil Plant.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnM

I have a by-pass filter. I used to run Mobil 1 synthetic before that, but when I put the by-pass filter on, I went with Amsoil 10w-30. I went with that oil because it had the longest extended drain duration advertised. Thinking that if they advertised that you could use the oil for that many miles without a by-pass filter, it would be even better with the by-pass. I do change out the by-pass filter about every 3-4k miles, and then I top off with new oil (about a quart).

Well, someday my case of amsoil will run out, and I am trying to decide on what oil I should run.

How would you compare the new Moibl 1 extended drain, Amsoil, and the new Pennzoil Platinum, or any other oil you preferr that I don't know about.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

quote:

Originally posted by SnM:

How would you compare the new Moibl 1 extended drain, Amsoil, and the new Pennzoil Platinum, or any other oil you preferr that I don't know about.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Well the Mobil 1 product just came out, so is it proven well for extended drains? I haven't seen many analysis on it.

The penzoil product. I wonder if it's group III or Group IV. I know their synthetic product before was only group III. So you can take that for what it's worth.

Amsoil has been making extended drain oils for 30 years. I've seen analysis with oil not being changed for 100,000+ miles.

Lastly, running a bypass filter you can safely extend drains of any motor oil on the market.

Ralf Wood uses conventional oils mostly with his by-pass filters and I'm sure there are others.
So the choice is yours. Find a good oil that your car works with and extended it out. The miles between drains will mainly depend on how often you change filters, how well the by-pass filter removes contaminants, and of coarse Oil analysis.

Good luck.

My question to you, is why are you changing oil and filters so often?

http://snm-eng.com/enviroresults.htm

Added in edit: DOPE
pat.gif
I see, you had High Copper and SI.

Get that intake fixed. Otherwise your by-pass filter is doing little good.

Actually,

In the last sample it looks like SI is doing great.

3ppm is outstanding. The copper could be from cooler lines or something. I would be it's not from wear, as there is no lead, tin, or anything else that would indicated wear.

Which Amsoil are you runnin?

Is this the XL product?

Never mind I seen in the virgin Sample you've got the correct ZDDP numbers and Calcium.

I've never seen the ZDDP get used that fast in 3,000 miles.

Do you drag race this car?

[ May 12, 2005, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

hey, how did you find my site? lol... just got that domain recently too. i was probably going to post a link to my oil resuts anyway, thanks for doing it for me
smile.gif

yes, i race the car but not much anymore. only raced it once last year, and haven't raced this year yet. will be in two weeks with my club race day.

i am running just the normal amsoil synthetic.

well, i only change the filter every 3-4k. i could go longer, but why not change it often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back