Best oil for Briggs 12.5 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lawn mower with a Briggs 12.5 HP single cylinder engine.

The mower calls of SAE 30 weight oil, but I use this mower alot in the snow and cold temps and I am wondering if a strait 30 weight is too thick on starts ups.

could I use something like rotella t6 5w-40 or t5 10w-30?

also, i have a bunch of Honda GN-4 10w-40 motorcycle oil around since I get it for free alot from my work. Can I use this?

Im kinda looking for something I can change annually, i don't use the mower a whole lot, maybe once a week for 2-3 hours all year. maybe a little less in winter.

I'm pretty sure that Briggs only recommends SAE 30 for operation above 40F. You should see other grades mentioned for lower temps.

I use 10w30 synthetic in my 18.5HP Intek, with no issues.

If it gets down to 0degF in your area, the 10W stuff will tax the starter and battery, as well as take a while to get to the moving bits in the engine. For an all-year, all condition, flat out biggest bang for buck oil; nobody yet has improved on Mobil 1 0W-40. When I have exhausted my stash of oils purchased on clearance, this will be in my TDI, generator, mower and snowthrower.

Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo diesel truck is among the best oils for this application. It has plenty of zddp and is a true group 4 synthetic with high zddp HTHS and high tbn. Its a very robust oil.

I use it with excellent results.

I use AMSOIL 10W-30/SAE 30 Synthetic Small Engine Oil in my small engines. It is the best from what I can tell from using it and from from what I have read on here. You should be able to get some UOA on here too. Plus it will make a good annual change with no worries about temps (hot or cold). Best of luck!

Originally Posted By: Quest
HDEO 15W40.....

did you miss that part that he uses it allot in the winter,15w40 turn hard in OPE with a small wimpy starter.

I've used Rotella T5 10w-30. in both my 17.5HP & 5HP B&S engines.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Quest
HDEO 15W40.....

did you miss that part that he uses it allot in the winter,15w40 turn hard in OPE with a small wimpy starter.

Funny I missed that part (he mows in the snow).

In my case: I use from GC 0W30 to 15W40 Isosyn and I stop mowing in late fall (around 6C in the morning), no need to worry about grass in the winter time.

So, perhaps 10W30 syn?

*still perplexed as to how OP come to mow in Michigan snow....*

Q.

LOL, well guys, in the winter i remove the mowing deck and use it as a toy in the snow.....me and the neighbor guys like to get the mowers out in the snow. its the ultimate challenge. hahaha great for when the snow ins't deep enough for quads and trucks.

i bought the mower in 2005 and it has been used sooooo much with no problems yet, now the battery is finally shot. poor thing probably has more hours on it then most 15 years old mowers. it was the cheapest yard machine at wal-mart too. who knew id get so lucky.

but this winter may be different and we wont have so much snow use. so im expecting a few hours a week if that. then obviously in other seasons i use it as a regular mower 1-2 times a week

so....yeah the mobil 1 tdt or m1 ow-40 sounds good because thats what i use in the jeep and will have left overs.

so yep im a weirdo, but its fun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back