Best oil for BMW Z4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. This is a wonderful forum with lots of knowledgeble people on oils and I have a few questions which I hope some of you can help me answer.

I recently purchased a Z43.0 and I have noticed that rather than changing the oil at 3-5k mark, the first oil service is due in around 26000KM. Would there be a better engine protection if I change my oils eariler? I am at 7500K right now. Is there a oil-change regimen that I should adopt which is different than the factory recommendations?

Also, I am wondering what is the best oil I can get for my car. It is a daily driver and I live in Vancouver where the weather is fairly moderate. Thank you all very much.

I think it would help if I add more information to my question. Most of my driving is done in the city but Vancouver traffic in general is not too congested. Also, I don't mind changing oils at shorter interval (3-5k). I guess there is not one single best oil out there or else this forum would not have so much discussions going on. Can someone recommend a list of good oils for the Z43.0? Thanks!

Hi Z4,

I have a MY98 Z3 2.8 and I change its Mobil 1 0w-40 each 10000 kms. Only use a A3-96>/B3-96> oil that is BMW "Approve Listed" or "Longlife Approved".
Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 would also do the job and at my nest OC my Z3 will be changed to it. The Z3 has 30000 miles on it and does not use any oil between changes
The oil could indeed last much longer as their recommendations suggest. I am doing a test on my Porsche S4 that is proving their 20000 kms recommendations correct
The "Roadfly" board ( Z3 and Z4 ) may interest you too

Regards

There is probably a sticker under the hood (and a notice in your owner's manual) that says to only use oils that are BMW LongLife Approved. This limits your options somewhat, since to my knowledge there are only two commonly available oils in North America that meet this spec: Mobil 1 0w40 and the German Castrol Syntec 0w30. Either one of these oils should serve you well at the BMW-recommended change interval.

As for the oil that came in it from the factory, I'd change that out at around 1000 miles.

Z4Guy,

The Amsoil 0w-30 and 10w-30 are both using an additive chemistry that meets the BMW specifications. I expect their 5w-30, "ASL", will meet it also when they issue a new spec sheet for this formulation. Either would be fine in this application, but I think I'd actually try the 10w-30 first. With a 7.5 qt sump and clean burning engine, long drains shouldn't be an issue for this application.

TooSlick

I'd go with what G-Man II suggested. Mobil 1 0w-40 is almost a 30wt and Castrol's 0w-30 German oil looks good. M1 0w-40 has shown good wear rates and you can purchase it at many locations. It's A3 rated and is a long drain oil. Amsoi/Redline is fine also, if you can find a good price for them. They are all good it just comes down to where and how you want to purchase them.

[ June 14, 2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Z4guy, I would try Mobil 1 0W-40, Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (make sure it is the new ACEA A3/B3 and B4 Syntec) or Amsoil 0W-30. These should all do very well. If you decide to use something else just make sure it has the ACEA A3/B3 rating.

I would do my first oil change at about the half way point of the MFG recommendations and then whenever the oil change light comes on for each oil change after.

I am using the Mobil 1 0W-40 in my wifes 1997 BMW 318i and in the past 1,000 or so miles since I put it in I have not had to add any oil. The car starts noticeably faster in cold weather (40 F is cold in Las Vegas). I had Pennzoil 15W-40 in before.

I'm sure you could use German Pentosin oil. ecs tuning sells either full sythetic Pentosin 5W-40 or 10W-40 for a little more than the price of Mobil 1 synthetics.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I'd go with what G-Man II suggested. Mobil 1 0w-40 is almost a 30wt...

I've heard this repeated before, but the spec sheet puts it right in the middle of a 40.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Your right it does. It does have a tendecy to thin down to a 30wt thought and then thicken up over the long drain, which is normal for an oil.

quote:

Originally posted by dbrowne1:

quote:

I'd go with what G-Man II suggested. Mobil 1 0w-40 is almost a 30wt...

I've heard this repeated before, but the spec sheet puts it right in the middle of a 40.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Oil companies allow themselves a lot of "wiggle room" with their publishes specs. If you look at the VOAs of Mobil 1 0w40, you'll note that the vis @ 100°C is usually around 13.5, which is a low 40wt.

Z$guy;
I looked through all of my product and came up with Esso's Superflow 5W50. Chevron dropped their 15W50, Shell does not offer theirs in Canada, and Pet-Can only offers a 20W50, which ain't bad but its not a synthetic and their single grade Duron (breaker 1-9 Teddy Bear) 50.

OK ok, Vancouver traffic isn't all that bad, but you didn't buy that car to cruise up and down Hastings or Granville St. did ya?
One of these hot summer days (non-rainy season) you might want to un-leash that little hot rod and take a 100+ MPH blast up the 12% grades on the Coq.
That is when you will likely need all the protection a synthetic 50 will provide.
At all other instance, a 5W40 will more than likely do just fine the other 9 months of the year with the added start-up protection for a winter trip to Whistler.

quote:

Your right it does. It does have a tendecy to thin down to a 30wt thought and then thicken up over the long drain, which is normal for an oil.

Yes, this I know (from my own analyses). I don't leave it in long enough for it to thicken back up.

GMan II - 2 most recent VOAs posted here put it at 14.9cst (middle 40) and 72.7 sus (on the lower end, I think). Hard to say.

[ June 14, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: dbrowne1 ]

What's the "best" oil for your Z4? Probably the Castrol RS 10-60 sold at your local BMW's that they put in the M cars. Bar that, I'd use what's recommended for the said interval. Assuming that would be the Castrol-sourced 5-30 synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back