Best oil for ATS 2.0 LTG

If you are going to use a group III oil that meets your specification for Dexos find what is cheapest and move on. If you want a portion of synthetic oil in the blend than the M1 is a good choice. If you want 100% synthetic it's gonna be costly.

Originally Posted by silversport
any oil that meets or exceeds the Dexos 1 Generation 2 should be fine...I'm sure there are others that also do but refuse to pay the licensing fees to get certified but I wouldn't waste my time with them...

I've used only full synthetic...QS, Mobil 1 or on this last change, the Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil in 5w30 with either the PF64 or UPF64 filter with no issues nor any perceived change (benefit/sound/etc) between oils...follow the OLM...I usually change when it gets to around the 10% shown on that OLM

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Thanks for the reply. I went to my local Walmart today and they were completely out of nearly every 5W30 full syn. They did have the Quaker State and the Shell truck oil, though,
I picked up the QS because of the price (couldn't help myslef) but I'm still looking at that brand new Kendall oil. The GT1 with liquitek is BRAND new. Not even on amazon yet. I called them this morning and that oil is taking the place of their "dexos" oil....it's replacing it. It's a gf-6 spec oil he told me. He said it's still carries the d1g2 spec but that it's been upgraded. I might grab some of that when it hits amazon. That gf-6 spec must be new. I couldn't fine a single oil at Walmart that wasn't gf-5

Originally Posted by Dd3
Originally Posted by silversport
any oil that meets or exceeds the Dexos 1 Generation 2 should be fine...I'm sure there are others that also do but refuse to pay the licensing fees to get certified but I wouldn't waste my time with them...

I've used only full synthetic...QS, Mobil 1 or on this last change, the Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil in 5w30 with either the PF64 or UPF64 filter with no issues nor any perceived change (benefit/sound/etc) between oils...follow the OLM...I usually change when it gets to around the 10% shown on that OLM

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Thanks for the reply. I went to my local Walmart today and they were completely out of nearly every 5W30 full syn. They did have the Quaker State and the Shell truck oil, though,
I picked up the QS because of the price (couldn't help myslef) but I'm still looking at that brand new Kendall oil. The GT1 with liquitek is BRAND new. Not even on amazon yet. I called them this morning and that oil is taking the place of their "dexos" oil....it's replacing it. It's a gf-6 spec oil he told me. He said it's still carries the d1g2 spec but that it's been upgraded. I might grab some of that when it hits amazon. That gf-6 spec must be new. I couldn't fine a single oil at Walmart that wasn't gf-5

API SP and ILSAC GF-6 are the newest standards that took effect May 1st. It's probably going to be a while before all of the old stock of SN and GF-5 is sold and containers from all of the oil companies, not just Kendall, showing SP and GF-6 start showing up in stores and online.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone....very informative and appreciated.

Here is some info on that Kendall oil I was looking at.

EDD1C9D8-B13E-49C1-8CD8-0DDB58CB37FC.png

6EC67555-2BE5-4E4E-B7DC-105F2D084113.png

Something I found odd through is that it says on the sheet that it's approved for Dexos 1 (makes no mention of gen 2), but the front of the bottle says d1g2? Also, I did g see where it said what kind of base it's made from.

65C2AC45-0509-432B-92A5-39DD0D8108F2.png

Something I found odd through is that it says on the sheet that it's approved for Dexos 1 (makes no mention of gen 2), but the front of the bottle says d1g2? Didn't see what kind of base it's made from either.

The Kendall probably doesn't offer anything that makes it better or different than the SP/GF-6/D1G2 oils from the other manufacturers. There's a relatively small number of companies that produce and sell the additive packages, and for the most part they're fairly similar in makeup, so it's doubtful that Kendall contains some magical additive that Mobil, Valvoline, SOPUS etc don't have in their products.

just as an aside and it is more a marketing deal than something else but GM's current oil should be a Mobil product (possibly Mobil Super Synthetic) for their full synthetic, Dexos 1 Generation 2 oils if that is important to you...warranty or otherwise...

Bill

Thanks for all the replies and sound info, all. Anyone know if the German Ravenol Is the only one with the 4/5 group base? Just curious who out there makes the good stuff, lol. I didn't even see where Kendall mentioned base oils. I was also wondering why I hardly ever see or read about anyone using factory oil i.e. full syn ACDelco? How does the factory oil stack up to the aftermarket stuff? Part of me does not want to trust them… My thinking is that they will put something or create some thing that is "good enough" just long enough to get you through and of warranty before things start breaking so then you have to pay for the repairs out of pocket, lol.

Check out my thread about the Malibu which uses the same exact engine as your Cadillac. I used Castrol Edge 0W-40 (Belgian made) and it was OK, nothing extraordinary. I thought the engine sounded a bit louder than normal, and the owner of the car complained about the engine noise as well. I had previously used Amsoil SS 5W-30 several times in that engine and didn't notice much of a difference compared to Castrol Edge 0W-40. I'm running Kirkland 5W-30 in the engine (101k miles) currently and the owner noted that the engine seemed to run quieter and a bit smoother.

Originally Posted by Dd3
Thanks for all the replies and sound info, all. Anyone know if the German Ravenol Is the only one with the 4/5 group base? Just curious who out there makes the good stuff, lol. I didn't even see where Kendall mentioned base oils. I was also wondering why I hardly ever see or read about anyone using factory oil i.e. full syn ACDelco? How does the factory oil stack up to the aftermarket stuff? Part of me does not want to trust them… My thinking is that they will put something or create some thing that is "good enough" just long enough to get you through and of warranty before things start breaking so then you have to pay for the repairs out of pocket, lol.

Go with Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40 FS.
Forget group. Focus on approvals. GM Dexos1 is far from European approvals. That engine has roots in Europe, more precisely all the way back in 1991 in Opel. What you want to go for is MB 229.5 as it is most comprehensive approval among Euro standards. However, these oils are usually very heavy W30 or light W40 oils. Any oil thta has MB229.5 approval is much "better" product than anything Dexos1 for turbo application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
How far off (weaker less stringent) is the Dexos spec vs MB 229.5 ??

That is why I put "better" in quotations. For example I use Dexos1 in Toyota. But would never in turbo engine.
HTHS of MB229.5 is minimum 3.5. NOACK is maximum 10%. Sludge control, piston deposits and oxidation is much more stringent.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Check out my thread about the Malibu which uses the same exact engine as your Cadillac. I used Castrol Edge 0W-40 (Belgian made) and it was OK, nothing extraordinary. I thought the engine sounded a bit louder than normal, and the owner of the car complained about the engine noise as well. I had previously used Amsoil SS 5W-30 several times in that engine and didn't notice much of a difference compared to Castrol Edge 0W-40. I'm running Kirkland 5W-30 in the engine (101k miles) currently and the owner noted that the engine seemed to run quieter and a bit smoother.

I saw that thread. Wow. Engine quieted down with Kirkland oil? So it was also louder while running the Amssoil? That's crazy stuff.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Dd3

Forget group. Focus on approvals. GM Dexos1 is far from European approvals. That engine has roots in Europe, more precisely all the way back in 1991 in Opel. What you want to go for is MB 229.5 as it is most comprehensive approval among Euro standards. However, these oils are usually very heavy W30 or light W40 oils. Any oil thta has MB229.5 approval is much "better" product than anything Dexos1 for turbo application.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Dd3

We use Ravenol and M1 5w/30 ESP in the wife's ML....I'll have
to look to check if they carry that spec.....I'm sure they'd have to? Thanks for the great info

Just found this on the M1 5w/30 ESP we use in the wife's ML diesel. So this stuff would actually be better than any of the d1g2 oils for my vehicle? I'm so lost, lol
You did mention MB 229.5. I take it that's different than the specs in the below chart? Or was something changed or upgraded?

7092C3D6-F742-48B4-9136-706AE2B26203.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dd3
Originally Posted by metroplex

I saw that thread. Wow. Engine quieted down with Kirkland oil? So it was also louder while running the Amssoil? That's crazy stuff.

Yes. The Castrol 0W-40 (Belgian made) seemed like good oil on paper. I didn't notice anything different better other than the engine seemed louder. The Amsoil SS 5W-30 wasn't anything special in that engine either. I'm not saying Amsoil is a bad oil, it just didn't do much for that LTG.

Back