Best oil for ATS 2.0 LTG

Dd3

Hi all. I've read so many oil threads that it hurts, lol. I'm looking for the best possible oil for my car. Yes, obviously d1g2, but I'm reading things about timing chain issues, this oil has a lot of moly, that oil has titanium and is great for turbo's, Valvoline has a new car formula , Mobil 1 shearing, etc etc.
what would you guys use and why? The Pennzoil platinum and Castrol Edge are sparking my interest, but for instance I've seen about 4 different Castrol Edge products all in 5/30 and I have no idea what any of it means. Edge "ll", edge a3b4, regular edge, etc etc etc.
Thanks for any replies
P.S. it's a ‘14 ATS w 65k and I'm too impatient to do long OCI's lol.....usually 5-6k ish
I'm currently running Valvoline advanced full syn 5/30 but have used Mobil1, and NAPA (Valvoline, I think)

Last edited:
I was hoping for that, lol hence why I'd asked on a different thread about the Sam's club Prime full syn 5w30. It's dirt cheap and meets the d1g2 spec. Then I start hearing how this oil made the motor noticeably quieter, this one better for this and that, etc. I'm getting a headache, lol. I just wanna pick one and in MY head at least, think I have the best thing in my car in terms of keeping it as "new" as possible. No leaks, no timing chain issues, etc etc

Originally Posted by Dd3
Hi all. I've read so many oil threads that it hurts, lol. I'm looking for the best possible oil for my car. Yes, obviously d1g2, but I'm reading things about timing chain issues, this oil has a lot of moly, that oil has titanium and is great for turbo's, Valvoline has a new car formula , Mobil 1 shearing, etc etc.
what would you guys use and why? The Pennzoil platinum and Castrol Edge are sparking my interest, but for instance I've seen about 4 different Castrol Edge products all in 5/30 and I have no idea what any of it means. Edge "ll", edge a3b4, regular edge, etc etc etc.
Thanks for any replies
P.S. it's a ‘14 ATS w 65k and I'm too impatient to do long OCI's lol.....usually 5-6k ish
I'm currently running Valvoline advanced full syn 5/30 but have used Mobil1, and NAPA (Valvoline, I think)

You can stay with valvoline it's good oil. But Mobil 1 would be my choice

Thanks for that. I was also wondering why there's no such thing as a 10/30 or 5/40 that's meets the d1g2 spec?

I would consider shell gas truck, it's got a good dose of a few wear additives.
It made my daughters patriot quiet compared to penzoil platinum

This one?

BA38BABF-1EF5-4240-94A2-B93E1CD1693B.jpeg

Also, I was liking the Kendall oil in the above link....it's the gt1 max with Liqui tek. D1g2 approved....great. Then I see the gt1 DEXOS OIL. take a look.
So which one is "better"? Both d1g2 approved

2F6AB37D-2AAE-44D5-851D-B27A394719AD.png

29C44770-8C5F-42BB-8774-9DBDE7287C60.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dd3
Thanks for that. I was also wondering why there's no such thing as a 10/30 or 5/40 that's meets the d1g2 spec?

That's because there is no 10w-30 or 5w-40 dexos 1 spec. It's limited to only the oil viscosity that GM uses in their engines since the spec has been released.

I have the LTG motor...it turns oil dark pretty quick. Probably the DI turbo. I change mine at 50% on the OLM and sleep well, 3,750 miles. PF64 filters were less than $3 awhile ago. Currently Valvoline AFS but I have a boatload of RGT, VME, & M1 at clearance prices.

Buy whatever D1G2/GF6a/SN+/SP oil and change it frequently. There is no "best". No timing chain issues except the earliest motors in the ATS...oh that's what you have, oops.

Originally Posted by sloinker
The best? This one has some of the best test results. It is 100% group IV/V.
https://www.ravenol.de/en/application-area/passenger-cars-1/ravenol-dxg-sae-5w-30/

That's the same brand that's in my wife's ML currently. I wasn't even aware they made a d1g2 oil. Upon looking at the approved oils (d1g2) list, I thought I saw two or 3 5w30 formulations from Ravenol that had the d1g2 spec? What's different about the dxg formula?

Originally Posted by buddylpal
Originally Posted by Dd3

That's because there is no 10w-30 or 5w-40 dexos 1 spec. It's limited to only the oil viscosity that GM uses in their engines since the spec has been released.

Originally Posted by buddylpal
Originally Posted by Dd3

Got it

Originally Posted by LotI
I have the LTG motor...it turns oil dark pretty quick. Probably the DI turbo. I change mine at 50% on the OLM and sleep well, 3,750 miles. PF64 filters were less than $3 awhile ago. Currently Valvoline AFS but I have a boatload of RGT, VME, & M1 at clearance prices.

Buy whatever D1G2/GF6a/SN+/SP oil and change it frequently. There is no "best". No timing chain issues except the earliest motors in the ATS...oh that's what you have, oops.

Originally Posted by LotI

Luckily no issues yet. Just trying to avoid any. I'm using the Valvoline AFS right now as well. I did use a couple PF64 filters but when i picked up a Mobil 1 or wix the 64 just looked/felt light and cheap, lol. Running a wix right now.

The QSUD that's currently $13.96 at Walmart is a stout 5w30 synthetic whose viscosity is on the higher end of 30 weight (unlike PP which is on the lower end). It should work well in your 2.0T in the Louisiana heat. I'd stock up on a few jugs if I had that engine.

any oil that meets or exceeds the Dexos 1 Generation 2 should be fine...I'm sure there are others that also do but refuse to pay the licensing fees to get certified but I wouldn't waste my time with them...

I've used only full synthetic...QS, Mobil 1 or on this last change, the Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil in 5w30 with either the PF64 or UPF64 filter with no issues nor any perceived change (benefit/sound/etc) between oils...follow the OLM...I usually change when it gets to around the 10% shown on that OLM

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pbm
The QSUD that's currently $13.96 at Walmart is a stout 5w30 synthetic whose viscosity is on the higher end of 30 weight (unlike PP which is on the lower end). It should work well in your 2.0T in the Louisiana heat. I'd stock up on a few jugs if I had that engine.

Originally Posted by pbm

That sounds like a plan. I don't know what different numbers mean (yet) in terms of how much of this and that is in an oil. I'm just thinking (as a member suggested above) that I should look for a thicker oil. I was looking into that Kendall but couldn't decide between the gt1 max liquitek or the gt1 dexos.....both d1g2 approved. Not sure what the differences are in the additives, etc., but $13 bucks for QS is right there with sams/Costco pricing.
So Quaker State is a decent oil? What about it do you find "stout"...? Just asking.....trying to learn a thing or two while here. I only ask bc I rarely see people even discussing that brand.
Currently running Valvoline advanced 5/30. Does anyone know if that oil is on the thicker side?
Thanks again for all the help and replies

Last edited:
The Quaker State Ultimate Durability is a very good oil. I used it in my 2017 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost. In fact, I preferred it over the Pennzoil Platinum and still do. I went to Kendall GT-1 Max because, I could buy 12 quarts at a very good price at my local lubricate distributor. If you want to buy the Quaker State at Walmart, you can't go wrong. The Valvoline you are running is a little on the thinner side but, not as thin as the Pennzoil Platinum.

Last edited:
Back