Best oil for an '96 Dodge B2500 3.9L V6 van

What is the best oil choice for an 1996 Dodge B2500 Conversion RAM Van with the 3.9L Magnum V6/32RH 3 speed automatic (no overdrive) drivetrain (127K miles on the clock)?

The van is used for mostly long trips/highway cruising at 60 mph. In that case the 3 speed automatic keeps the engine revving at about 2800 RPM to push this brick forward.

Since this is a summer/vacation van for the long and comfortable trips with the family & luggage it will do most of its miles loaded in hot weather (over 80'F) with some mountain and hill roads.

Engine is currently on Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 with some valve train/lifters noise at hot idle but doesn't consume any oil between oil changes. Before that it was treated quite badly by the PO with lowest quality dyno 15W-40 oils rarely changed and pushed to its limits - there's some noticeable slugde build-up under the valve covers to show for it.

Now I'm looking for a suited oil that can make this engine happy under the above conditions. Any ideas?

Some mechanics recommended to go for a higher viscosity 10W40 in our 3.9L worn/noisy engine. What's your take on that?

Storage would be over winter/colder months in a close-by garage. If weather alows it I would still drive it over the weekends to keep things moving (I had a "pampered" van stored for 3 years and it developed all sorts of electrical and mechanical problems because of that).

I'm also using M1 HM 10w-30 in my 1996 3.9l B2500 Van at 170,000 miles. I've used a lot of different oils in this engine and it doesn't seem to care. Keep doing what you are doing and use a OEM filter.

Back