Best oil for a Perkins 200 Turbo in a boat application (marine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a Perkins 200 turbo in a 37 foot roughwater. It usually sees long trips with steady rpms and we change the oil regularly. Is there a "best" oil to use out there. Is Redline or synthetic an option? Any thoughts on what oil to use.
Any feedback is really appreciated.

Bob

I'd run a synthetic diesel oil like Mobil Delvac 1/5w-40, the Amsoil 15w-40/AME, or the Redline 15w-40. The CI-4, diesel formulations will give you improved rust/corrosion protection and tend to be very shear stable ....

If you are sticking to short, 40-60 hour drain intervals, something like Delvac 1300, 15w-40 would be ideal. I've been impressed with how shear stable this formulation is in service ...

I don't have much experience with Redline, but Amsoil and Delvac 1 should last for 150-200 hours/ 1 year in this application....I would change oil filters every 50 hours to help keep soot levels in check.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Hi,
Spooner - to make a balanced judgement some more information would be helpful

- what is Perkins' recommended spec for the oil to be used in this engine?
- what oil do you use now?
- how often do you change it?
- what is the constant oil/coolant temperatures in "normal" running?
- what filtration system ( nunbers/types )is fitted to this engine?

Knowing these things will assist in making a cost effective oil choice and help in setting an OCI

Regards

These

Schaeffer #700 15W-40 or #702 straight weight, as required by the manufacturer, will give double to triple the oil drain hours, slight fuel savings, cleaner, cooler oil-side of the engine, and reduced wear.
www.schaefferoil.com

Ken

Spooner, I would agree 100% with Ken on this.
Or, you could use Schaeffers #151 Moly Bond 15w40 or #107 Moly Bond straight wt.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back