Best oil for a low mileage JDM Subaru EJ20 engine?

Subaru is the Japanese name for the "Seven Sisters" constellation. But....but....why are there 6 stars in the 7 sister's grouping of....

Bah, nevermind, re-check my post above for a video link to a Motorweek original review of the SVX. Yeah, sure, I blast around in a 5300+ LBS Silverado SS, but it's just a really nose heavy Subaru. :>

.>... that could tow another Subaru with a Subaru loaded in the bed. ^.^

EDIT: The beast in question...

View attachment 39295

The seven sisters of the constellation Pleiades.
The seventh star is the car . Yes it's true. That was the thinking.

Well, may as well ask.. Picked up a JDM engine, an EJ20 for the Subaru.. probably an EJ201. Has 36,660 miles on it. I could ask the installer, but I think he likes to put Pennzoil Platinum oil in engines, if I saw some jugs around correctly. Maybe maybe not.

So I should be getting the car back sometime this week...

If the oil starts to darken quickly (if) and I feel like doing an OC, what kind of oil would you use in it, and why?

You should read through the thread linked below:

I thought Quaker State was SOPUS (Pennzoil?)

Or.. did Shell buy SOPUS?
Yeah that’s what I meant to type,”SOPUS” and was thinking about Shell for some reason :p I think their email said “Shell/Pennzoil Products”.

What do you think the first 'S' in SOPUS stands for?
Standard. Like STP.
Or "Standard Oil Company"

So is it Shell Oil Products United States and that is who has been making Pennzoil for about the last 10 years or so, I don't know an exact time?

Standard. Like STP.
Or "Standard Oil Company"

So is it Shell Oil Products United States and that is who has been making Pennzoil for about the last 10 years or so, I don't know an exact time?
And here in Houston,Tx too!!:D

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Saab have alphanumeric numbering schemes as well, as do Lexus

Not to dig into the arcane art of necromancy, did you get your engine swap?

I was hesitant to post oil recommendation, as comparing a modern EJ-4 cylinder against my old '95 EJ-22, at best is folly. I deviated from the manual and fed her a Mobil-1 5w-40. I lived in a place that had three seasons; Hot, Fooking Hot, then Ice Storm. The kind that would freeze your car shut in a 1/2" of ice tomb... But not *deep* cold. Never a problem with that oil no matter the season. What killed her?

.>...*^.^*

I plowed her nose deep, too fast when rallying through some sugar sand trails in Florida into a mud puddle. That puddle was really a pit. I motored on, got her home 1200 miles away... But the hood latch was damaged. Months later the lid flipped up @ 75mph on highway 540, crushed the roof and windshield. Insurance wrote her off.

*sniffs sadly and pours out a shot of gin over her old Chilton's repair manual*

Back