Best Oil for a Big Old Engine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a question for ya' fun71-454vette. Is your Vette totally stock? The reason I ask is the stock engines from that era used lean idle mixtures and retarded ignition timing to meet emission standards which inclined the engine to run very hot when idling for extended periods. Ever notice this with yours?

FunVette: Others alluded to it, but may not have fully clarified it for ya: Due to the nature of synthetic oil, it may tend to seep past worn, hardened, or damaged engine seals sometimes when conventional oil may not. Syn doesn't damage seals in any way, it simply can get past compromised seals more readily than conventional. That's why some have suggested it may not be worth switching due to the POSSIBILITY of new leaks. The mixed fleet (gas/diesel) oils mentioned are robust with enhanced detergent/dispersant packages to deal with diesel soot, and mostly available in 15w-40 weights, although 10w-30 and others are available if one searches. I'd hesitate to use 15w-40 in Connecticut winters, but should be fine the rest of the year.

If the Quadrajets on the LS5 don't leak fuel out of the float bowl wells " casting plugs " directly into the intake manifold to foul the oil the near useless divorced choke will come on so hard to foul the oil .

If this engine was a driver ...synlube

But it's not
smile.gif
Thus my opinion on this
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Here's a question for ya' fun71-454vette. Is your Vette totally stock? The reason I ask is the stock engines from that era used lean idle mixtures and retarded ignition timing to meet emission standards which inclined the engine to run very hot when idling for extended periods. Ever notice this with yours?

As far as I know -- yes -- I'm a totally stock LS-5 engine. The only time I have to watch my engine temp is extended idling. Had problems in a parade route out in Hershy, PA last summer. (3 hours to drive 5 miles!) As soon as I get air flowing through the radiator, I'm OK. The stock fan just doesn't do the job at extended idle. (Oh and forget about running the A/C in the summer! lol)
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
If the Quadrajets on the LS5 don't leak fuel out of the float bowl wells " casting plugs " directly into the intake manifold to foul the oil the near useless divorced choke will come on so hard to foul the oil .

If this engine was a driver ...synlube

But it's not
smile.gif
Thus my opinion on this
smile.gif

Ahhhhh -- my one "non-stock" component. My Rochester Quadra-jet was swapped out for a Holley 650 double-pumper at some point by a previous owner. Don't know if that carb has the same issue/reputation.

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
FunVette: Others alluded to it, but may not have fully clarified it for ya: Due to the nature of synthetic oil, it may tend to seep past worn, hardened, or damaged engine seals sometimes when conventional oil may not. Syn doesn't damage seals in any way, it simply can get past compromised seals more readily than conventional. That's why some have suggested it may not be worth switching due to the POSSIBILITY of new leaks. The mixed fleet (gas/diesel) oils mentioned are robust with enhanced detergent/dispersant packages to deal with diesel soot, and mostly available in 15w-40 weights, although 10w-30 and others are available if one searches. I'd hesitate to use 15w-40 in Connecticut winters, but should be fine the rest of the year.

TC -- awesome summary! Thanks for helping the oil ignoramus. As for the CT winters -- the vette never sees the light of day when the temp is below freezing. We tuck her under a soft blanket to hibernate from November to March. An occasional warm sunny January day MIGHT coax her out for a quick spin around the block -- but only on rare occasion!

Is it one of those spread-bore Holley 650 double-pumpers? And don't feel bad, BB Vettes weren't the only cars that ran hot during extended idle periods. I seen the same thing in Chevelles, Monte Carlos, etc.

[ May 18, 2004, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

quote:

Gonna report back to us with a UOA at the end of the summer?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace [/QB]

Bror -- I feel like I'm back in college studying pyhsics after reading your summary above. As for reporting back -- I'b be happy to . . . so long as someone clues me in on the "UOA" lingo !
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Is it one of those spread-bore Holley 650 double-pumpers? And don't feel bad, BB Vettes weren't the only cars that ran hot during extended idle periods. I seen the same thing in Chevelles, Monte Carlos, etc.

I have no idea about the Holley. What exactly is a spread-bore carb? Function? How can I tell? All I know is that when all barrels are open, it roars & runs . . . and sucks down gas quickly.

Fun71, a spreadbore carb has smaller holes for the primaries, larger holes for the seconaries. My brother and I had a variety of carbs on our cars: a '68 Camaro and a '68 Dodge Charger. The Holley Double-Pumpers I remember had the same size primaries and secondaries.

Spreadbore carbs are supposed to be better for cruising fuel economy because their primaries are smaller. The massive secondaries are only open during hard throttle blasts. But, the disparity between the two can cause a bit of hesitation depending on the application, etc ...

As for the cooling, you might give this stuff a try:

http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/258.htm

Oh, and UOA = Used Oil Analysis. A $20 lab test of your used oil. We have a whole subsection devoted to posting and discussing these.

Try a local lab or one of our site sponsors:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

--- Bror Jace

It not going to leak with the M1 15w-50 and the reason why is it was not leaking before . No doubt it's been resealed at some point in the past since these engines were never the tightest jugs on the shelf .
tongue.gif

If he stuck 0w-30 M1 maybe , but not the thicker 15w-50 .

I would use dino though and change every 6 months only because of the carb setting on top of that thing .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back