Best oil for a 5.7 Chev with 110 k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 99 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 with the 5.7 motor.
I do lot's of highway driving pulling a boat trailer. I have AMSOIL 5-30 in it now. I know this is the weight they spec when it's new, but it has 110 k on it now. I live in Sacramento CA so Heat is a factor, Cold is not.
I drive alot so 6 month OCI would be great.
Does it make sense to change the filter more often than that?
Thanks for your input.

The ASL that you have now is a great oil. Since high heat and relatively no winters are in its future, maybe switch to the ATM (10w-30) Amsoil. It offers a little better stability at high heat. GC would also be a great choice for this motor, since the chevy small block likes a thicker 30 weight oil.

You say you drive alot, but what would a 6 month OCI yeild in miles? 10,000? If you are going to run longer OCIs like this, frequent sampling should be in your process. But it should be fine. I wouldn't worry about changing the filter more often. It doesn't seem to do much unless you engine is sucking in large clumps of dirt and garbage through an open crankcase vent or vacuum leak.

quote:

Originally posted by Gypsy:
Thanks. What is GC?

German Castrol

Go HERE and type in:
GC
German Castrol
Gummi Bears
grin.gif

I have a 1999 Suburban 5.7 with 101,000 miles....currently using Chevron Delo 10w30, contemplating changing to Delo 15w40 when my supply of current oil runs out.

quote:

Originally posted by Gypsy:
I have a 99 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 with the 5.7 motor.
I do lot's of highway driving pulling a boat trailer. I have AMSOIL 5-30 in it now. I know this is the weight they spec when it's new, but it has 110 k on it now. I live in Sacramento CA so Heat is a factor, Cold is not.
I drive alot so 6 month OCI would be great.
Does it make sense to change the filter more often than that?
Thanks for your input.

I have a 98 Silverado 5.7 4x4 with 135K miles. I started with GTX 5w-30 but switched early on to GTX 10w-30. Oil and filter changes every 3K miles (don't yell, I agree I am old school on this). No change in oil consumption since the day I bought it (new), and it uses between 1/8-1/4 quart per cycle. I live in rural Vacaville so we understand the heat problem.

If I make it to the next change (vehicle is for sale) I may consider changing to the syntec blend, probably more for something to do than for any real necessity.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back