Best Oil for a 2000 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I've been lurking here for a while doing some reading. Seems like a lot of you guys have a lot of experience and have read a lot of uoa reports. I'm looking for a good synthetic oil to run due to the cold weather and the possibility of extending the OCI. What oil in these engines puts up the best UOA? I'm not looking for opinions, would like to see data to back it up. It looks like the most popular choices would be Mobil 1 (Delvac 1 & Turbo Diesel), Rotella, and amsoil. Maybe they are all pretty equivalent when a UOA is performed?

What is more critical is changing the oil at the proper interval for your conditions/vehicle.

Try an oil that seems like it is in your price range/oil type that seems to get good reviews.

I experimented and researched with data sheets long before the internet. I use Amsoil pretty much in all my/family vehicles. I have some friends that run it as well. It is a company that makes very good products. I like that they pioneered extended drains and continue to improve and innovate.

Hard data with no opinions.........tell me when you find that Holy Grail??????
wink.gif

A synthetic would be your best choice for cold weather starts and extended oil change intervals. The best performance to value oil I have used in these engines is the Schaeffers 15W-40 blend or 5W-40 full synthetic. I have seen Rotella 5W-40 syn aka RTS go 10k miles or more in these engines with good results and about the same price as Schaeffers 5W-40. The M1 5W-40 is a good choice and ok price on sale. Delvac 1 costs more these days and is harder to find locally. Amsoil AME 15W-40 is a great oil for extended drains and low wear. Cost is up there with Delvac 1, and AME compares well with the cold weather abilibilties of the 5W-40 oils.

These are all good choices and will come down to availability/convenience, price, and personal preference.

oilboy123 - Which Amsoil are you running in your diesel?

bmwtechguy - Aren't Delvac 1 and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel the same?

Looks like the end result will be that they all perform similiar. I was hoping to find someone that has tried several and found one oil that gave the best UOA.

For price (gallons) - I can get Rotella Synthetic for $19, Mobil 1 for $22, and Amsoil for dealer cost through a friend, but price depended upon which flavor I went with.

well my 2000 F-350 with 342,000 miles on its 7.3L powerstroke is has been feed nothing but Delo 400 15W-40 since it came home with 400 miles on it.

Same for the 2002 excursion now with 289,0000 miles up until recently Also ate Delo 400 15w-40

I just recently switched to rotella T syn to help with worn injector poppet's and cold starts but that's no fault of the delo.

Asking others to show you data is subjective at best...too many variables. Using the search function will probably be your best choice.

Last edited:
Delvac 1 at 32 dollars/gal is probably now a higher grade of 5W-40 than the TDT for 22 dollars/gal. They used to be the same during CI4+ days.

Originally Posted By: Dualie
well my 2000 F-350 with 342,000 miles on its 7.3L powerstroke is has been feed nothing but Delo 400 15W-40 since it came home with 400 miles on it.

Same for the 2002 excursion now with 289,0000 miles up until recently Also ate Delo 400 15w-40

I just recently switched to rotella T syn to help with worn injector poppet's and cold starts but that's no fault of the delo.

This oil seems to be made for this motor. Time and time again I hear this kind of story with this particular engine and this oil. If I owned a PS, it would be what I did just based on shear fact that it does so well. Who needs synthetics if you aren't going to get your money's worth ya know?

OH and around 100,000 of those miles were earned dragging my 6 horse trailer that weighs in @ 27,975LBS combined truck and trailer.

I actually got to speak to a chevron chemist in San Ramon about Delo 400 15W-40 and using it in my Powerstoke. He said in his opinion (even admitting he's biased) That delo was the best oil on the market for the PSD. As it had a fortified anti foam package for the HEUI system found on CAT, and Internationals the same one on the PSD.

Well we've used Rotella T 15w40 in our fleet of buses at school since the 80's. It's been in DT444's, PSD 7.3, Cat C7's and Mercedes MBE900's in our buses over the years. It's great stuff. Well over 200k miles on 29,000LBS buses and the motors looked almost new after a tear down that would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Delvac 1 at 32 dollars/gal is probably now a higher grade of 5W-40 than the TDT for 22 dollars/gal. They used to be the same during CI4+ days.

Where can you even find Delvac 1?

Another vote for Delo 400, easily my favorite conventional HDEO and IMO the best of the "Big 3" diesel oils.

In Minnesota, I'd go with either Delo 400 LE Synthetic 5W-40 or Schaeffer's.

Seems to me that the HDEO's are really good oils for most diesel and gas motors. I think they are a great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back