Best oil for 94 Nissan P-up 3.0 v-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, I recently purchased a 1994 Nissan pickup with the 3.0 engine. It has roughly 96k on it and uses no oil that I can determine. My question is what would be the "best" oil for this motor? I change all my vehicles at 3k or thereabouts. Thanks for the input!

quote:

Originally posted by ncirish:
Gentlemen, I recently purchased a 1994 Nissan pickup with the 3.0 engine. It has roughly 96k on it and uses no oil that I can determine. My question is what would be the "best" oil for this motor? I change all my vehicles at 3k or thereabouts. Thanks for the input!

Congrats on the low consumption!

Thing is, do you know what oil was used before in it?

I'll recommend Pennzoil, Chevron Supreme, Havoline , and Castrol since you change every 3K. No need for synthetics.

I was thinking Havoline or Castrol. 10w30 is what it has in it. I live in NC and drive occasionally to Pittsburgh and Birmingham on the interstate, would a 30w be harmful in the longrun? I would like for this motor to last for a while.

If it was using 10w-30, and is not using any oil, than I would suggest the continued use of this weight, but I'd suggest one of the High-Mileage 10w-30's...Pennzoil or Castrol...a little thicker, and with near 100,000 on it, the HM oil will help "condition" the older seals.

Can't see why a 30-weight would be harmful unless you're running the heck out of the thing.

My Maxima with the 3.0 seems to like Pennzoil Multigrade 5w30 the best. I have used 5w30 and 10w30 both, regular and high mileage. Runs fine on all. I have decided on 5w30 for winter and 10w30 for summer. Due to short trip symdrome, I often change the oil at 1.5k, and the filter and oil at 3k. After cutting open so many of these filters at 3k, I an beginning to think I may leave the filter on to 4.5k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back